Program changes | Golden Skate

Program changes

dutchherder

Final Flight
Currently, Evan Lysacek is using a program from last year, and according to Susie Wynn (sp?) at Cup of China, Belbin and Agosto should consider changing their free dance program. Anyone have any thoughts as to whose programs are working and whose programs aren't?

I don't like Belbin and Agosto's program at all. Starting with Ben's costume. He looks like a twerp, especially compared to Shabalin's great costume (and hair) that makes him look like an 11th century barbarian warrior who just conquered Russia and declared himself the Prince.

I do agree with Suzie Wynn about Lysacek's Carmen. It is getting stronger and stronger, IMO.

I agree with Mathman about B&A and I suppose Evan's Carmen. (I think that was Paul Wylie talking about EL's Carmen, though. I think Susie only commented on the women.)

I don't think either Carmen or Sylvia plays to Emily's strengths. She is neither a dramatic sexpot nor a ballerina type, even though she did well with Carmen in China. I think her Proud Mary exhibition suits her much better. Why not stick with rock or jazzy styles as much as possible? They would set her apart from other skaters, and the music, which she obviously loves moving to, might give some momentum to her skating.

Miki's are both great - she is able to make the familiar music her own. Kimmie's have potential.

Eman should keep the program :agree: but change that yellow costume.:disagree: Were those yellow skates or just tights pulled over? Anyway, ick.

B&A's salute to Hollywood should be left for Torvahl and Dean to do. They are the only ones who are capable of that.

Dom/Shab should dump The Polivetzian Dances which have too many changes of tempos which they can not handle and struggle with making them look sloppy.

Unfortunately, both teams will be in the GPF and I would prefer V/M and D/W.

The only thing good about CoC was Davydov's straightline footwork. I hope he makes it to the final.

Joe

Last edited:

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
LOL Joe! ;) If I had a pound for every misspelling of Torvill, I'd be a very rich woman! :yes:

I do agree with you about all 3 medallists in Dance at the CoC GP - the least inspiring FDs I've seen so far this season. I love the music to Polotsvian Dances, but didn't enjoy the Russian's FD at all. I think B/A can improve that Dance and they will asap. Definitely Igor and Marina's other couples have all been given super material to work with this season. :agree:

nubka

Final Flight
I really like Miki's SP, but her LP just about puts me to sleep. She really seems to feel her SP music and it shows in her presentation, but in the LP, I feel like she is out there skating through the music, not to it...

The music for Yu-Na's LP is pretty/interesting at first, but then it never really changes, and it just seems to go on and on (luuuuv the choreography, though!)

dutchherder

Final Flight
I absolutely love Belbin and Agosto, but their FD left me cold. We are used to fiery passion from them. The choreography was so cutesy-- more like what one would expect from a juniors dance team, I thought.

The choreography from Emily's LP either doesn't go with the music, or she was off tempo.

Neither of Johnny Weir's programs appear to suit him. He looks uncomfortable. Maybe it's a lack of training?

Shen and Zhou's (sp?) FS is gorgeous. :love:

That's all I can think of so far.... maybe I'll take notes during Trophee Eric Bompard. :p

debdelilah

On the Ice
Neither of Johnny Weir's programs appear to suit him. He looks uncomfortable. Maybe it's a lack of training?

I doubt it's lack of training. He looked gaunt at SC, and I suspect overtraining and undereating more than anything else.

He's experimenting with a new style that perhaps isn't a good match for him even at its best, in the short program. I think his long program will be fantastic if he skates clean.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Johnny Weir will be fine with both of his programs once he becomes comfortable with them. I just hope that is SOON.

I hate B/A's program and have the feeling that they should consider a coaching change ASAP.

I didn't like DomShab's FD either. Overused music (and I love Borodin) and they are incredibly sloppy.

Emily isn't a Carmen, and she isn't a ballerina. I'm not crazy about the choreography in either program and both have so many arm movements that at times she looks like a demented windmill. Emily had better get her jumps under control. If she scores in the 90s at Nationals she will finish off the podium.

Emily isn't a Carmen, and she isn't a ballerina. I'm not crazy about the choreography in either program and both have so many arm movements that at times she looks like a demented windmill. Emily had better get her jumps under control. If she scores in the 90s at Nationals she will finish off the podium.
I find the choreography winning but difficult. I don't think Emily is up to it. Sylvia is not a difficult piece of music. I'm thinking Emily may not be musical and she needs a choreographer for every note to do something.

A choreographer lays out a program. It is up to the skater to make something out of it. I think a fan should be able to see where the choreographer laid off and the skater took over.

While I am not looking for an Emily loss at US Nats, I'm afraid La Cohen will show up and then there will be only one spot for the Worlds. I'm betting on Rachel Flatt for that position but Emily may upset that with a clean routine.

Joe

rain

Record Breaker
I'm betting it won't happen because she skated well, but Fumie Suguri's LP music is really, really annoying and I think she should change it ASAP. The vocals are simply awful and distracting. In the arena at SC it sounded like little kids chanting the same thing over and over and over again.

On the subject of annoying music, Denkova/Staviski's free dance, while fantastic in choreography, is brought down by their musical choice, IMO. That change isn't gonna happen, but I do wish they had chosen something else. Elsewhere in the dance field, I think both Dubreuil/Lauzon and Virtue/ Moir's music suits them to a T.

There's been talk of Lysacek keeping Carmen (I think he should), but I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about Lambiel training a new LP. At Skate Canada he once again used the Four Seasons.

waxel

Final Flight
Seems the CoC judges may have been sending a message to B&A that they have grown weary of the gimmicky programs. The "That's Entertainment" program is anything but. No matter how well skated, it just doesn't seem like a strong Senior free dance. An earlier post criticized Ben's costume but I think it is Tanith's that is utterly appalling ... looked very amateurishly designed and executed and unflattering to boot. They really seem to have lost ground.

Not that they were the only disappointments in China. The Ladies competition was horrendous (Julia should seriously re-think the skunk hair-do) and the Men's not much better (hated Eman's program, music and costume). I tend to think Scott Smith was robbed of a medal.

The bright spot was S&Z's Meditation LP. I am looking forward to seeing it after they really settle into it. It is already lovely!

flying camel

Medalist
Have to agree, B& A's LP looks a hot mess. They looked like they rushed and threw that program together. That program is a step backward for them. If they did not have time to come up with anything better then that, they should have kept last years programs. I am sure they are going to change it.

Last edited:

heyang

Record Breaker
I can only hope that Ben and Tanith are fixing their free dance. I realize that this was the 1st time they've skated it in competition and that they haven't worked on it for very long. However, the music is too 'fluffy' for them - it would be a better tour or exhibition choice.

Penny

On the Ice
To state the obvious, one of Kwan's great strengths was her choice of music. Audiences want to hear good music and react more enthusiastically to music they recognize, so why is Johnny Weir using music from a musical few people know and a commissioned piece no one has ever heard before? I'm not saying the music for either program is bad, just not likely to inspire a great program that catapults people out of their seats. How about something wonderfully over the top like the 1812 OvertureI

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
hey the 1812 Overture rocks my socks and I'd be over the moon if a GOOD program could be made with it! ;)

dutchherder

Final Flight
Well, *usually* Michelle made great program choices, but I think her Bolero program was a mistake from start to finish. I don't think it was a good fit for her, and I think it hurt her that year.

Well, *usually* Michelle made great program choices, but I think her Bolero program was a mistake from start to finish. I don't think it was a good fit for her, and I think it hurt her that year.
While she was in pain because of the hip and groin problems, Bolero was easy music to struggle with. That's the reason.

Joe

Penny

On the Ice
Oh I agree, Bolero was a mistake for Khan. And a long time ago she did a Beatles medley that didn't really work.

gio

Medalist
I liked also Bolero. IMO all of her programs were diamonds. Sometimes I didn't like her music choices, but her programs were always faboulous. IMO, she really knows how to sell a program, regardless of the music.