Will Someone Please Slap Peter Carruthers??? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Will Someone Please Slap Peter Carruthers???

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
He is just getting ruder and ruder and ruder. Talk about a buzzkill. Emily wins her first GP medal, a very significant career milestone for her and looks all thrilled and happy when coming out of K & C, despite falling out of the lead, and THEN she has to put up with a bunch of obnoxious questions from Peter Carrathurs. I give her credit for maintaining, because it looked to me like she was highly annoyed and I don't blame her one bit. ("Well, what did you expect, really? You downgraded the triple, you should have known that was going to be less points" or whatever it was he said because I couldn't even believe he SAID it.)

Anyone remember David Santee at Calgary sticking the mike in Orser's face and saying "Well, the good news is you got good artistic marks, the bad news is you're second?" ??? I notice Santee was pretty much out the door after that. How soon before Carrathurs pulls a TOTAL Santee, as opposed to just a partial? I would love it if the skaters started to complain to ABC/ESPN about it; there is just no excuse for that kind of thing. Even if you feel you need to ask a "tough question", there are much more diplomatic ways of asking them, involving much less snippy tones of voice.

Yes, I recall that terrible incident in Calgary. Poor Brian - I really felt horrible for him. These sort of nasty comments are not warrented. I was sort of disgusted with CTV coverage of Skate Canada. Whomever the new guy is interviewing the skaters at rink side is not that nice either. I thought CTV did a great job of covering Skate Canada and I enjoyed David and Jamie and Tracy and Rod, but this new guy at rinkside has to go!!!

Sorry this is about Peter Carruthers - yes, I agree. Looks like Canada and the US are stuck with horrible rink side interviewers.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Yes, I recall that terrible incident in Calgary. Poor Brian - I really felt horrible for him. These sort of nasty comments are not warrented. I was sort of disgusted with CTV coverage of Skate Canada. Whomever the new guy is interviewing the skaters at rink side is not that nice either. I thought CTV did a great job of covering Skate Canada and I enjoyed David and Jamie and Tracy and Rod, but this new guy at rinkside has to go!!!

Sorry this is about Peter Carruthers - yes, I agree. Looks like Canada and the US are stuck with horrible rink side interviewers.

I don't know if its canadian coverage or US coverage but when i look things up on youtube there's often a male commentator who screeches in excitement throguht the perofrmances - there's one particlaur example on Kurt Brownings 1988 LP and when he stands the quad the screeching man goes bonkers, as her then does a few seconds later when he lands a triple axel and again...and again...! Who is he?

Ant

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Screeching man!

Antmanb I believe the screeching man on Kurt's 1988 LP performance is none other than Scott Hamilton.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
:rofl: :rofl:

Maybe Johnny will do this?

Ant

well if he did make mention of an olympic gold medal... Peter can fire back a "no but i got silver... what'd you get in Torino?" ;)

Peter annoys me, but then again I don't think I like any of those that do the rinkside interviews... NBC's people were freaking stupid with their questions!

ilovejumping

Spectator
ant, it might be scott hamilton?? i'm really not sure but i know scott hamilton gets really excited. :D and yeah dick button makes rude comments also sometimes.

Eeyora

Final Flight
But Dick is hardly ever rude to the skaters. Peter is extremely rude.I just hope he doesn't judge the cheesefest this year. Remember his comments to the skaters last year.

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
But Dick is hardly ever rude to the skaters.

But Dick is extremely rude about the skaters. The only reason he isn't rude to the skaters is he doesn't do interviews. He's constantly says rude things in his commentary.

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
But Dick is extremely rude about the skaters. The only reason he isn't rude to the skaters is he doesn't do interviews. He's constantly says rude things in his commentary.

Talk about gross exaggeration. He adores the sport and skaters. He's HONEST, which to some may be rude. I can't tell you how many times I've heard skaters say that they respect his opinion and try to correct the deficiencies he points out. He's paid to give his frank and honest opinion. I actually find that if anything, he errs on the side of being too gushing.

As far as Peter, it's much ado about nothing. He's not paid to be a fan. He's not paid to find the silver lining in everything. This is a sport. If we want figure skating to be treated like a sport, it means that athletes have to be ready and expect that any mistakes in their competitive pursuits may be examined. And you know what? I'm willing to bet most skaters don't mind Peter's questions at all. It's only the fans that object. Because we're wired differently. We aren't the elite level athlete that can stand the proverbial heat in the kitchen.

Peter is no saint, but he hardly deserves the vitriol being leveled at him. Frankly, I don't find that he conducts interviews any differently than the many interviewers that preceded him.

I assure, NOTHING Peter or Dick say about skaters comes close to what coaches level at their own skaters. Give the skaters some credit for having thick skins. They are tough athletes, not faint of heart.

Last edited:
To me, it's not that Carruthers is mean or harsh. He's just not a good interviewer. (Neither is Ann Curry, but oh well.)

There is actually a talent involved in working on TV. Not everyone has it.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I agree with MM. Nothing wrong with what Peter is asking, but I get a somewhat negative vibe from him. I wonder if (some of) the skaters feel the same way because they seem to respond accordingly to him (with their body language).

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
To me, it's not that Carruthers is mean or harsh. He's just not a good interviewer. (Neither is Ann Curry, but oh well.)

There is actually a talent involved in working on TV. Not everyone has it.

Agreed, that's the problem. Tracy Wilson is an example of a good skater-turned-interviewer IMHO.

waxel

Final Flight
Dick's opinions never seem to be mean-spirited. He just calls it like he sees it. I adore him.

Skate Sandee, not only is Tracy Wilson a good interviewer, I think she is one of the best commentators. She did many, many events during the mid-90's glory years and was always first-rate (to quote a "Dick-ism"). Wish we saw her call more events.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Dick's opinions never seem to be mean-spirited. He just calls it like he sees it. I adore him.

I don't know, in the last few years it seems he goes out of his way to show favoritism and is merciless to those he doesn't care for.

rain

Record Breaker

Skate Sandee, not only is Tracy Wilson a good interviewer, I think she is one of the best commentators. She did many, many events during the mid-90's glory years and was always first-rate (to quote a "Dick-ism"). Wish we saw her call more events.

Tracy Wilson is my absolute favorite commentator. She even managed to reign in Rod Black on occasion — speaking of wanting to slap someone, Black kept stating throughout the Skate Canada event commentary that Mao Asada had won Skate America. Very annoying. Someone should have corrected him. Back to Wilson, she was so knowledgeable, and seemed to have very little bias, which helped a lot. I know I learned a lot about what to look for in ice dance because of her commentary drawing the audience's attention to certain aspects.

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
I can't tell you how many times I've heard skaters say that they respect his opinion and try to correct the deficiencies he points out.

Would those be in the same interviews where they say they just skate for themselves and don't care about the placements?