Cup of Russia - Preview | Golden Skate

Cup of Russia - Preview

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The ISU Grand Prix enters its penultimate week with Cup of Russia in Moscow. As the series draws to a close, the focus of top skaters will be increasingly on qualifying for the Grand Prix Final. [More]

R.D.

Record Breaker
thanks.

Czisny needs a WIN to qualify? Not gonna happen, sorry. (Actually, I thought she was out of contention.) I think Meissner will be on the bubble ONLY if that happens.

Sokolova may be the "non-factor factor"- she may not be in the running for a GP spot but she can push someone else off.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
This is a pretty weak field. I am not sure if Czisny has no shot of winning. She will have a hard time winning but it is possable in this field. If she lands her jumps, a rarity for her, she probably does.

I am nervous for Johnny!

And it would make my day if Sandhu skated his best. I wouldn't even mind if he beat Johnny.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
:laugh: that's true...but at least she once won the European championship. Czisny only has a Skate Canada title.

She won Europeans in by far the weakest field at Europeans since 1990 atleast, Slutskaya was out with illness, Sokolova was having a real down year after her breakthrough 2000, Kostner was not as strong as she was in 2001 or even 2002 yet, Volchkova was a disaester that year.

She beat Liashenko to win the title. She also was overscored since it was in Hungary and Liashenko's 6-triple, 2-triple lutz performance would have won over Sebeysten's 5 triple, 1-triple lutz performance if it was on neutral ground I suspect, even with the edge Sebeysten had in the sheer quality and explosiveness of her jumps.

Czisny landing all her jumps and Sebeysten landing all her jumps, at this moment in time, I would put my money on Czisny. Granted Czisny is very inconsistent on jumps, but Sebeysten despite her excellent jumping ability has been too the last few years.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
yeah, but just like an OGM is still an OGM and World title is still a World title, a European title is still a European title.

Also, I can't recall but who was at SC to challenge Czisny that year? She did well in very weak fields and then came in LAST at GPF.

Last edited:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
yeah, but just like an OGM is still an OGM and World title is still a World title, a European title is still a European title.

Also, I can't recall but who was at SC to challenge Czisny that year? She did well in very weak fields and then came in LAST at GPF.

Fine so they both took advantage of weaker fields. Fair enough. As it was though Czisny I still think beat harder competition to win her GP event then Sebeysten did to win Europeans, and she did not have the benefit of being on home turf and receiving arguably generous scores because of it. To win Skate Canada she beat homegirl favorite Joannie Rochette who did not skate error free, but skated pretty well, she just missed one jump-the triple flip, in both short and long. Fumie Suguri was there although she had a very bad outing at this event, finishing near the bottom of the field in fact. Kostner was also there and struggled. Nakano was 3rd though, and performed quite well, remember Nakano had quite good success later in the year. I still think her competition was better then Liashenko as the silver medalist.

I agree a European title is bigger then a GP event win. Still Sebeysten is past her prime and Czisny is in her prime. She is just as able or more to win a GP event right now then Sebeysten, especialy in a softer field.

dutchherder

Final Flight
Well, let's consider if all things are equal. Let's say both ladies skate cleanly, heck, let's even say the skates of their lives. Czisny is simply a more polished skater. Every move is finished off, and she has a beautiful long line and incredible flexibility. Sebestyen has high, powerful jumps, but that's not all skating is... I hope. If that is the case, advantage: Czisny.

Skate Canada is an international competition. Euros is confined to one continent.

Why predict when one can wait and see?

Joe.

I like GS's pick of Sarah Meier for gold! Meier is in the same situation as Czisny -- win or go home.

If either Czisny or Meier wins and Sebestyen is fourth, Meissner is toast. Ando, Kim and Rochette are already in ahead of Kimmie in the race for the finals, and at least two of Suguri, Nakano and Asada should make it, depending on the results of NHK.

I wouldn't count out Sokolova to medal in this event. It looks like the only thing that will save Kimmie is something Onda or Sokolova first and Sebesyen fifth behind Czisny and Meier, then hope for Suguri and Nakano both to beat Asada (although Kimmie could also get in on tie-breakers with other scenarios)

This Grand Prix series is the first time ever that it has really seemed like a "regular season," leading up to the "playoffs." :rock:

In men's, Weir (also Sandhu) absolutely must get second, with high scores, to edge out Preaubert for the last spot in the finals. Lambiel, Joubert, Oda and Lysacek are vitual locks, and Takahashi should clinch in NHK with at least a second (Oda being his only competition there).

TRUE It's a season of calculations in the race to be in the Finals. But it is not without its faults.

TEB was loaded with top tier Ladies and only one top tier Men. Why risk a tough entry list when in one event it was Nakano v. Sebestyen as the top competition?

I'd like to see Alyssa hit those jumps but even if she does, I believe she has already been branded as underrotating even before she attemps them. There may not be an American lady in the GPF. Kimmie may be the first alternate and there is always someone who can't make it for whatever reason.

Joe

I'm watching for Martinova to make a move here. I think she is the best bet for Russian Ladies. Can not pick a winner.

I give the nod to Brian over Johnny.

Pet/Tik with no competition for them except S&S who have too much controversy going on. I hope they show Moyle/Seitz because I've never seen them.

Dancing has the strongest lineup, but I'm sorry, I can't help think that the winner has already been chosen. More than likely it will be Prince Igor and his captive Princess (sturm und drang) over the hot leather couple.

Joe

Quite true that some GP events have a tough field, while others are easier sledding. But then the question becomes, if you had your choice would you rather squeak by against weaker competition, or would you rather take on your main rivals head-to-head.

In the latter case, if you win you not only get the points yourself, but also knock out the competition. Like Miki Ando at Skate America. By winning against a strong field not only did she virtually guarantee a spot in the final for herself, but also put Kimmie and Mao into a tailspin that they might not recover from.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Skate Canada is an international competition. Euros is confined to one continent.

I think what you mean to say is that SC is global (open to everyone) while only Europeans compete at Euros. They both are international comps.

I wouldn't exactly say that Grand Prix events are open to everyone. You have to be seeded or invited, so only one-sixth of the top competitors will be there, at best.

Europeans is only for Europeans, but every European federation gets to send its champions.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
In men's, Weir (also Sandhu) absolutely must get second, with high scores, to edge out Preaubert for the last spot in the finals. Lambiel, Joubert, Oda and Lysacek are vitual locks, and Takahashi should clinch in NHK with at least a second (Oda being his only competition there).

Takahashi is Oda's only competition at NHK? :rofl: Lambiel is at NHK as well.

Weir wont edge out Preaubert with a 2nd, he needs to win the event to do so, so does Sandhu. If Weir or Sandhu or 2nd they need huge points to beat the 2-event totals of Takahashi who will probably be only 3rd at NHK behind both Lambiel and Oda. If Takahashi does better then 3rd at NHK they are almost definitely out with even a 2nd place finish.

Last edited:
Bottom Line there is no choice to select a site for a GP.

I don't think SA was so loaded with top tiers. There was Asada, Miki, and Kimmie and the three hit the podium. As Expected.

No body knew Meier was ganging up on them and certainly she was not considered a top tier before the event.

If one wants to skate the Finals (unlike Kwan or Cohen) one has no choice of venue but strategy would be there to go to the easiest venue if they had a choice.

Joe