Backflip | Golden Skate

Backflip

gio

Medalist
Who are the skaters capable of doing the backflip? I remember seeing Scott Hamilton, Brian Orser, Robin Cousin, Jozef Sabovcik, Shawn Sawyer, Michael Weiss, Surya Bonaly and other two girls that I don't remember the name. Any other?

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
It depends though, because Robin Cousins always did it in the pike position, whereas other skaters did it in the somersault position, so IMO Robin's, with him being so tall aswell, looked much more impressive. :rock:

Mafke

Medalist
It depends though, because Robin Cousins always did it in the pike position, whereas other skaters did it in the somersault position, so IMO Robin's, with him being so tall aswell, looked much more impressive. :rock:

I'm not crazy about backflips but I thought Surya Bonaly's backflip landed on one foot into a triple (salchow?) was the most impressive backflip feat on ice IMHO.

Teenes

On the Ice
I know Sabovcik does it in the full layout position...

From Halloween on Ice, it seems Dan Hollander and Rory Flack Burghart also have good backflips. Josef, Dan, and Rory did simultaneous backflips during the finale.

Kurt Browning used to do a backflip but it was always twisted in the air. Apparently he stopped doing them after injuring a shoulder or collarbone (not sure exactly what) when he fell on a backflip - said it was his wedding gift to his wife or something like that to stop.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I'm not crazy about backflips but I thought Surya Bonaly's backflip landed on one foot into a triple (salchow?) was the most impressive backflip feat on ice IMHO.

A Triple finish??? I never saw that and would love some video. I believe (if memory serves me correctly) at COI in Denver it was finished with a single loop, possibly a double but????

Where can I see this?

And what happened to the video clip of Wiess doing the Tornado???? I want the tornado video back!!!! Please!!!!:bow: :bow: :bow:

Kurt Browning used to do a backflip but it was always twisted in the air. Apparently he stopped doing them after injuring a shoulder or collarbone
Not sure either but I think that was his clavicle - very easy to break - your right. I don't recall why he stopped though.????

Jenny did it according only to a blog / review COI 2005. But no one else mentions it.

Last edited:

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom

She was a tumbler before she took up skating.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
didn't Terry Kubika (sp) have one?

and didn't Kurt stop doing Backflips way before he and Sonia married? ;)

Teenes

On the Ice
I should clarify - I think Kurt joked it was his wedding gift. Or just that he'd promised his wife. And according to Google, I don't have any details about it on my website which is where my Kurt memory resides these days ;). Ah well.

At any rate, I'm pretty sure he stopped doing the backflip as a result of that injury. Though I have always wondered exactly when he hurt his clavicle or whatever it was, and when he healed, because it seems like that would have been mentioned more in the press when he was an eligible, or would have put a damper in the large number of events he did as a pro in the early 90's. I wasn't a fan back then so I haven't the faintest idea...

I feel like Brian Orser has also done backflip/triple jump combinations. Searching around my Kurt site, I see a review from Holiday Festival on Ice in 2001 listing him as doing a backflip-3toe. Also have him in CSOI the same year doing a backflip into a double... He also did two backflips in a row after retakes at Gotta Skate last year, making Kurt almost fall over =).

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Here's an example with what looks like a double salchow at the end, but I'm close to positive she did the triple too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIauMJCnvuE

Hot stuff there, ooh yah that is cool! :love: Amazing she has that much speed coming out of the backflip. With sight of that I feel a little gipped at the COI, well not really gipped but I wish it would have been that one. OH LA!:bow:

I hope my "???" doesn't come across negatively. :agree:

gio

Medalist
Thanks to all for the infos!! So Jennifer Kirk did a backflip? Really? Anyway I remember two girls (one was mentioned, it was Rory and the other one was a blonde, I think it was at last year Skating and Gymnastic. Does anyone remember who she was?)

Hot stuff there, ooh yah that is cool! :love: Amazing she has that much speed coming out of the backflip. With sight of that I feel a little gipped at the COI, well not really gipped but I wish it would have been that one. OH LA!:bow:
Surya most definitely did backflip/3Sal many times as a pro. It was better than Brian Orser's trick because Orser (and everyone else) lands his backflip on two feet (negative 1 GOE :laugh: ).

If she "only" does a single now, remember, the lady is 32 years old. She suffered a torn achilles tendon (the same injury and Hongbo Zhou) about 8 years ago and couldn't jump quite the same after her recovery.

OT Surya trivia. When Surya first came on the scene as a teenager, her coach, Didier Gilhauget -- yes the same crook and con man behind the Salt Lake City pairs scandal -- tried to get publicity for her by portraying her as some sort of African jungle princess from an island off the coast of Madagascar (she's from Nice, LOL.) Nobody bothered to check and the deception went on for years.

My favorite Surya story: Sale and Pelletier were scheduled to headline a show at Sun Valley, but when they arrived, they learned that they didn't have the right kind of work permit to perform for money in the U.S. So the organizers called Surya at midnight in LA, she hopped on the red eye and starred in the show the next day. :agree:

Thanks to all for the infos!! So Jennifer Kirk did a backflip? Really?
Yeah, now that I remember it, in the COI finale Jenny, Surya and Dan Hollander did side by side by side backflips.

IIFC Scott Hamilton did not have a backflip until after his eligible career was over. As a pro, somebody told him he could add a million dollars to his marketability if he could do it, so he went to work and added the move to his repertoire.

Last edited:
What exactly is the reason for not permiting the back flip in figure skating? I hope it is not considered Acrobatics when the contortionish spins and those complicated lifts in Pairs, all of which is taken out of Acrobatics are permitted!!!

There has to be another reason at how the powers to be reached a conclusion that back flip was illegal. What was it?

Joe

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
There has to be another reason at how the powers to be reached a conclusion that back flip was illegal. What was it?

Joe

It is not figure skating. As simply put. MM did a great job explaining this to me once before - A couple of others put in some great explanations too, maybe it was 76Olympics and Ladskater??? But that is the synopsis I received from it. It is not showing Figure skating skills or anything of the like. No edge tech, ice tracings, etc.... Just not FS.

And as MM just pointed out, there is only one person that lands on one foot.

Last edited:

Fredegunda

Rinkside
What exactly is the reason for not permiting the back flip in figure skating? I hope it is not considered Acrobatics when the contortionish spins and those complicated lifts in Pairs, all of which is taken out of Acrobatics are permitted!!!

Joe

I have read that it was because the backflip doesn't involve using edges.