Reality T.V. Shows | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Reality T.V. Shows

D

DORISPULASKI

You're Right, the name was Made

Aloft,
I wasn't paying attention when the opening credits rolled, started watching it, and got hooked! Now I will be able to find it again. I think it was on VH1? Do you recall?

The other show I caught part of was a kid who wanted to
make the high school basketball team. It wasn't as good as the band show, but it was still good.

dpp

J

Jules Asner

Re: You're Right, the name was Made

I'd have to go with the like some, don't like some too. I like Meet the Parents, but I usually forget to watch it. I don't like shows like Blind Date, the 5th Wheel, Celebrity Dates or dating shows in general, as most of the people on them are washed up wanna be actors with bad taste. from the shows I've watched this is what I've come up with so far.

<strong><span style="text-decoration:underline">the good</span></strong>:
the amazing race
the mole
survivor 1
survivor 2
survivor amazon
big brother 2 and 3
road rules 1 & 2, europe and islands - (gone down hill since)
real world new york, san francisco, las vegas, london, boston
the real world/road rules challenges (always fun)
the bachelorette
frontier house
1940's house
High School Reunion
MTV Cribs

<span style="text-decoration:underline"><strong>the bad</strong></span>:
joe millionaire
survivor 3, 4, 5...yawn
big brother 1
making the band
the bachelor 1
Surreal Life
I'm a Celebrity, Get Me out of Here
road rules central america
road rules campus crawl
road rules australia

<span style="text-decoration:underline"><strong>and the ugly</strong></span>:
temptation island
blind date
ellimidate
5th wheel
fear factor
how to marry a millionaire
road rules (the one with laettarian)

I've heard rumours that "Am I Hot?" is good, must investigate!

G

guinevere

Re: reality shows

Ok, I admit, I am a reality show junkie. I can't help it, I love seeing people making a$#$% of themselves!

However! I must second Jules Asner in saying that The Amazing Race is absolutely fantastic! There is the requisite inter-team bickering going on, but really, it's just a thing of beauty. The race is exciting, the eliminations have nothing to do with popularity (with the other teams or the public), and I don't think I've ever heard an eliminated team say anything negative about their experience other than they weren't ready to go yet. They all seem to say what a great experience it ws, how they never would have been to the places they'd been to, they challenged themselves to do things they wouldn't have thought possible etc etc. It just sounds like a BLAST.

guinevere

H

heyang

Re: Reality T.V. Shows

Realtor Girl,

The home decorating show is on The Learning Channel (TLC) and is named Trading Spaces. It's interesting if you like concepts for room decoration . Everyone has their favorite designer.

It's not truly a reality show. The taping is somewhat staged - i.e. a scene shown as Day 1 may have actually occurred on Day 2. Also, there are many more workers than those that appear on the show. Lastly, I can't think of a single show where one neighbor has punched out another when they hated the end results.

S

Show 42

Re: Reality T.V. Shows

Lad, there was "reality based" series on PBS called I think either "Pioneer" or "Frontier" house. I really enjoyed it...42

R

rgirl181

Re: Reality? T.V. Shows

Show, the PBS "Frontier House" (not sure of the name) was the only one of these shows that could be called "reality." What most of these shows, like Survivor, The Bachelor, Fear Factor, etc, are game shows with the gimmick that they get more into people's personal lives. But IMO, there is nothing real about them. On the Real World, the seven kids live in a hip, magnificent house in a hip, mignificent location and at worst have to do some sort of hip, magnificent job as part of the deal.

Give me a show that follows the hilarious day-to-day exploits of a single mother living paycheck-to-paycheck; a family who has a chronically ill child and no health insurance; people in the military who are leaving families and jobs to go over to Iraq; veterans living with Gulf War Syndrome; or people who are doing okay but where the husband and wife each have to work 12-14 hour days, with a four-hour round-trip commute--any and all of the things that make up everyday reality--and see how long it lasts. As far as I'm concerned, "reality shows" is a misnomer. "Fantasy Gameshows" is what I'd call it. I don't have anything against them, but they are like fast food TV. Good for a quick fix, but not satisfying in the long run. For example, I thought Survivor was interesting the first two seasons, but after that, it was the same ol' same ol'. Still, human behavior is interesting. I think it's interesting how the show How to Marry a Millionaire (the one with Darva Conger and Rick Roswhatever) got such a negative reaction a few years ago, and today the people on the Bachelor, Bachelorette, and Joe Millionaire become insta-celebrities. Cultural progress I guess:lol:
Rgirl

J

Jules Asner

Re: Reality? T.V. Shows

RGIRL: speaking of reality shows, I watched the Aaron & Helene special - I found Aaron to be very cold. It was very odd. Apparently they had gone on a few dates and they were in a bar and she was ordering drinks. She turned around and saw him ogling another woman. She may have overreacted - she gave him the ring back and told him he wasn't dating 25 women anymore. But they made up and later went away for a weekend. He had the ring but instead of giving it to her he just left it on the nightstand so she didn't know if she should take it back or what.. he didn't know if she wanted it or not so he didn't ask.

Anyhoo, to make a long boring story short. they spent a weekend together and they both said they had a great time. Helene thought things were going well and then one hour before he was to leave for Missouri he broke up with her. She was upset because he had been telling her the entire weekend that he loved her and they had been getting along and then all of a sudden at the last minute he breaks up with her and heads to the airport.

during their interviews Helene was very upset - she requested that they were interviewed separately. After they interviewed Helene they talked to Aaron and he kept saying things like "She's so pretty, it's a shame." He said "She's beautiful" or "She's pretty" about 20 times all with regret, like "it's too bad I don't like her, cuz she's a pretty girl"
It was very strange. Then they showed him some footage of Helene talking about their relationship and crying and all I can say is the man is COLD. I thought he was trying to hold back a smirk at one point. It seems as soon as the first sign of trouble came along, he wanted out - he didn't want to work at the relationship at all. She's better off without him.

RE: Frontier House: It was an excellent program and really brought you the reality of what homesteaders and the pioneers faced. Makes ya respect people like Miss Laura Ingalls and family all the more. I saw an interview with one of the men who was on the show - at the time he said he was preparing to move back to Montana and live like that for good. He was the one who was married to the woman who had 2 children from a previous marriage. They divorced after the show and he was planning to move back to Montana and buy land/ build and live the peaceful, rustic life.