A star pair team Yuko & SMIRNOV is born today! | Golden Skate

A star pair team Yuko & SMIRNOV is born today!

rjulie510

Rinkside
Moskvina magic is still working!!! Yuko Kawaguchi and Alexander Smirnov are BEAUTIFUL, and has that classic Russian pairs look. (Beautiful lines, solid technique, elegant and smooth style, etc) Sure, they do have flaws at this point (death spiral needs to get lower, they could be more emotional, etc) but that's nitpicking and I think with more experience those things will get better.

I always liked Yuko Kawaguchi, not just her skating but her determination that really set her apart. (I mean, this girl moved from Japan to USA to Russia for her skating.) It's great that she finally found a partner that matches her. They look great together, and for few moments I even felt like they have the look of classic Russian pairs champions.

Besides Petrova/Tikhonov (who probably won't skate eligibles that much longer), Russian pairs field is very opened. I wish them the best of luck.

Final Flight
Where is the flaw? tell my untrained eyes.
they aren't major flaws that will be deducted point for but:
flail-y landing on their split triple...
struggled landing on their throw triple loop...
some struggle for unison in their side by side spin (changing positions)...
and it's boring...:sheesh:
these are (to me) the tiny flaws that seperate and define great from "flawless"
my eyes aren't "trained" either but yeah...
great debut though...amazing in fact...:rock:

emma

Record Breaker
thanks for the link to watch this pair -- I really liked this program, LOVED the opening moves, and can't wait to see them develop more.

rain

Record Breaker
they aren't major flaws that will be deducted point for but:
flail-y landing on their split triple...
struggled landing on their throw triple loop...
some struggle for unison in their side by side spin (changing positions)...
and it's boring...:sheesh:
these are (to me) the tiny flaws that seperate and define great from "flawless"
my eyes aren't "trained" either but yeah...
great debut though...amazing in fact...:rock:

Another that I noted was a barely adequate death spiral...like so many pairs these days, sigh.

I'm utterly bored by the pairs field as it stands, so I'm really hoping this team has a great long and I can actually get excited by at least one pairs team. I was hoping to see a few more emerge this post-Olympics year, but have so far been disappointed. One thing I think they really need to capture my imagination is some originality...a few signature moves. Very few teams are pushing the sport this way anymore.

Final Flight
Another that I noted was a barely adequate death spiral...like so many pairs these days, sigh.

I'm utterly bored by the pairs field as it stands, so I'm really hoping this team has a great long and I can actually get excited by at least one pairs team. I was hoping to see a few more emerge this post-Olympics year, but have so far been disappointed. One thing I think they really need to capture my imagination is some originality...a few signature moves. Very few teams are pushing the sport this way anymore.

I know!!!!
i used to love pairs now its so repetitive and redundant....unlike ice dancing...

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I remember Kawaguchi skating with her previous partner, Alexander Markuntsov, at the 2001 Worlds, when they represented Japan. (They were medallists at Junior Worlds that season). She was a delight to watch, and their performances were very popular with the audience, tho rather rough around the edges. (Moskvina trained them as well). I'm glad she is finding success tho with another partner.

I do have to wonder, tho -- is it making a difference that she is now representing Russia instead of Japan? Certainly being a pair from Russia gets the judges attention better than being one from Japan.....

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Markuntsov was gorgeous, but everyone else ignored him, while she got all the attention and praise.

Agree about the awful standard of death spirals. Shocking.

To me the most attractive Pair to watch in recent times is the German Pair S&S. :clap: