Ladies' LP | Golden Skate

Ladies' LP

Meier's in! Sebestyen's in!

GP final: Ando, Sebestyen, Kim, Meier, the first and second place finishers at NHK.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Alissa's LP

Mathman it appears (from reading at FSU) that Alissa fell on a flip, fell on another flip attempt, fell on 2a and also a lutz :frown: I really like her skating and don't understand what has happened with her jumps.

Maureen

krenseby

Final Flight
Re:

Meier's in! Sebestyen's in!

GP final: Ando, Sebestyen, Kim, Meier, the first and second place finishers at NHK.

Ironically, Yukari und Fumie, both of whom have a second place finish behind them, have a better shot at a GP Final spot than Mao Osada, who finished third in Skate America!

This season has turned to be a true surprise after all. It started with the hype about Meissner vs Asada, a supposed rivalry of the two best skaters on the scene. Now, we aren't even quite sure whether either of these two will earn a GP spot!

The only way Asada is guaranteed to get a spot for the GP Final is by winning NHK Trophy. A second place finish will put her in a tie with other skaters. I am not sure how a tie-breaker for such a tie would work out, but it seems like Asada might be on the losing end of it. Remember, a 2nd and a 3rd place finish will lose out to a 1st and 4th place finish. Since Rochette finished 1st at Skate Canada and 4th at Trophée Eric Bombard, she would be chosen over Asada for the GP final, if Asada only finishes second at NHK Trophy.

A scary thought ain't it. One year you win the GP Final, the next year you struggle to qualify. I wish Asada does qualify though, because she might just pull out a personal record-breaking performance at St. Petersburg. If not, she might get into top shape for Worlds and astound everyone with a win.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I don't mind Sarah Meir so much, from what I hear she had a good performance at Skate America too. Sarah reminds me a lot of Fumie.

rain

Record Breaker
Ouch for Czinsy. She did even worse in the FS (10th) than she did in the short. Four falls is a total meltdown. Sounds like it may be a good thing she has some time to regroup.

Speaking of regrouping....it doesn't look as if Russia has a new contender to replace Slutskaya on the scene.

I must join others in being disappointed with the roster for the GPF. Sebestyen and Meier? With Sebestyen only managing a fifth in the LP here at a 92 score. And she barely did better for her gold. The GPF will not remotely be a preview of worlds this year, that's for sure.

Good for Onda for moving up in the long.

flying camel

Medalist
I think Alissa needs to find herself a new coach. I am sure there are coaches out there who would love to coach her.

rain

Record Breaker
I think Alissa needs to find herself a new coach. I am sure there are coaches out there who would love to coach her.

I'm sure you're right. Everything but the jumps are world champion level. I think her coach should at least be bringing in a jump coach to specifically work with her on them.

Mao must win!!! or she joins Kimmie.

The way I read it thus far:

Miki and Julia tied for 1st place with 15 + 13 = 28. No need to break the tie TheFinal will do that.

Yu Na with 11 + 15 = 26

Rochette 15 + 9 = 24

Meier 9 +15 = 24

I believe the first tie breaker is concerned with the first GP result which would give the edge to Joanniel. However, if they go to the points (I think this is the second tie breaker) than Sara gets the edge with 328.18 v. Joannie with 325.38

What remains is the NHK and the possibilities are:

Mao has 11 needs 15 to be in the Finals with no problem
if 11 ties with Joannie/Sara

Yukari has 13 needs 15 to be in Finals with no problem
if 11 a tie with Joannie/Sara

Fumie has 13 needs 15 to be in Finals with no problem
if 11 a tie with Joannie/Sara

One of the above Japanese Ladies will win gold and have no problem for the Final.

And One lady (silver medalist) will be part of the tie breaker of Joannie/Sara.

One of the above Japanese Ladies will have to be a bronzer at best and not qualify for the Finals.

Who will make the Finals? That is the Question!

Joe

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
The only way for Meissner to make GPF if:

Suguri and Nakano come in 3rd or lower, and their total score for both comps is less than 335.81. Suguri would have to come in 3rd with more than 167.05 points, and Nakano would have to come in 3rd or lower with more than 184.54

AND

Asada would have to come in 3rd or below, or come in 2nd with a score lower than 164.58. (Asada's SA score was 171.23, so that doesn't seem likely for Meissner.)

That would make the final:

Sebestyen, Ando, Kim, and Meier (all guaranteed places as of today) and

Rochette
Meissner.

Considering that the rest of the NHK field is Hawker, Zukowski, Liang, Fang, Kim, and Martinova, that's a very unlikely scenario.

At this point, Rochette needs one of the following scenarios to happen to reach the final:

a. Nakano and Suguri both 3rd or lower, with Asada in 1st or 2nd.
b. Nakano and Suguri win gold and bronze (doesn't matter which one does which) and Asada wins silver.

If Nakano and Suguri go 1/2 (or 2/1), then they get the final two spots.

This is totally cool. It's one thing to be the best on paper. It's quite another to step up and win when it counts. Sarah did it, now we'll see if Mao can.

As much as I like Mao, I kind of hope Rochette hangs in there for that last spot. (Suguri, Asada, Nakano at NHK.) This would put the champions of the six idividual events up against each other head to head.

No, no, no! As much as I like Rochette, it has to be the mighty Mao who shows she's champion material at both NHK and GPF. Go, Mao! She can do it!

R.D.

Record Breaker
So who won?? Those are only the FS results, aren't they?

Until I know I can't really say much else. Except ouch for Alyssa.

christinaskater

Medalist
Alissa needs to change coaches i tell you! The David Wilson choreography was awesom but she needs the coach! Tatiana Tarasova, Frank Carroll, Richard Callaghan, Nikoli Morozov even MK pls coach her and Robin Wagner! I sent her already a message in her website! Reality bites!

Rafael Artunian would also be good to improve her jumping technique

But i suggest Richard Callaghan or Robin Wagner and Tatiana Tarasova