Men LP report | Golden Skate

Men LP report

Anna

On the Ice
Urbas, The Mask of Zorro

3A, 2T, 2A, SlSt, FSSp, twS, coe, 3F, 3R2R, CoSp, twS, coe, "donut", 3A2T, 3Lz, CiSt, 3S2T, CSSp, twS coe // coe twS, CCoSp, back to forward, cam, twS, coe U // sit, leg behind, U coe

Very good performance for him, but no expression, had the same spin four times.

Mabee, Tango Medley

3L3T, 1A, 3F, SSp, coe, twS, 1S, FSSp, twS, 2A, 2R, 3L, CCoSp, sit, /\,/// SlSt, nice character, 2T, CoSp, camel, sit, Y // sit, twU, coe

Nice character, good relaxed full body movement, but not much of expression and far too many mistakes.

Shibata, Adios Nonino

2A, 3L3T, FCSp, coe, donut, 3F2T, CiSt, 3R2R, 3L step out, FSSp, twS, "donut", SlSt, 3S2T2R, CCSoP, camel, coe, donut, sit //... 3T, 2A, CCoSp

back to forward camel, coe, sit, "donut" // B // sit, Y

Very serious, no emotions at all, no expressions. He has the skills to pull off the tango, but today it all has been about doing jumps.

Kovalevsky, Beethoven Last Night

2A, 3F3T, 2L2T, 3R, FSSp, coe, twS, CiSt, 3Lz, tight landing, 2S, 2A from spreadeagle, CSSp, SlSt, 2S, CCoSp, camel, sit, Y // twS, layback, CoSp, back site, twS, U coe

He was trying to sell it, but did not entirely succeed.

Gryazev, Notre Dame de Paris

3L, 3A3T, 3F, 3A fall, CiSt, CCsp, 3R, 2F2T2R, 2S, FSSp, lfS, coe // lfS, SlSt, 3S hand down, CCoSp, cam, coe, sit, lfS, layback // cam, bent camel, U coe, CoSp, back cam, bent camel, sit, Y

Nice powerful performance, not his best, but nothing to be ashamed of either.

Dobrin, Mast of Zorro

popped quad into single, 4S, 3L2T, 4S2T step out of quad, FCsp coe, upturned, donut, CiSt, CSSp, coe // coe?, 3S, 3F, CoSp, camel, sit, U coe, SlSt, 2A, 3L, CCoSp cam, sit, coe, tw U // cam

Better than in Paris, less of exhaustion in the first half and I think more triples overall. The audience was supporting him and I think virtually "carrying" him through the step sequences.

Weir, Child of Nazareth

3A, 3T, 3L, FSSp, his usual changes of positions, CiSt, 2R, 1A, FSSp, 1A, 3F, 3S2T, CoSp, SlSt, CCoSp

Rather decent performance overall, nice flow, good attack till very end, but unless he starts landing his jumps (or at least rotating and falling like Buttle), he is doomed under new system. He is incredibly lucky that the event has been such a splatfest overall.

Berntsson, Saturday Night Fever

3A2T, 3L3T, 2A, 3R, 3F2T2T, FSSp, stumble in the first half, CCoSp, 2F, CiSt, CSSp, 3S, 2A, SlSt, CCoSp

He really got the audience going, since he can move to disco very well. Overall very impressive performance, nice character throughout.

Sandhu, When Strangers Meet

2T, 3A hard fall, 3L, 2A, CoSp, 1A, CiSt, CUSp, nice one, 3F hand down and step out, 3R2T, 2S, SlSt, excellent upperbody movement, FSSp, twS, CCoSp, camel, sit, /\ // cam, sit, twS, Y

Well, suppose the elements listing says it all. Rather nice impression, because he has good basics, good spins and nice step sequence, but they would only take one that far.

Verner, Mystic Spirit Voices

3T overrotated, step out, 3F, 3L, 3S, 3L3T, FSSp, forward one, lfS, coe, leg behid, 3A step out, 3R, CoSp back to forward, cam, sit // sit, lfS,U, CiSt, CSSp, back to forw, SlSt, 3F, CCoSp back to forw, coe not held

Run out of stream halfway through the program, but still rather nice performance with good lines and character and very nice impression.

Klimkin, The Mask

3A3T, 4T (got downgraded), slip on entrance to R, FCSp, coe, upturned, 3F, 3S, CUSp, coe on both feet, 3L fall, 3S2T, CiSt, fall in the middle, did not complete the second half, 2A, CCoSp, CoSp

Much better than in Paris there he was stumbling over his feet. Good character and nice attack, but... On the positive side he is one of the few who can do change of edge in spins properly.

Joubert, Metallica

4T2T, 4S, 3A, CiSt, CSSp, back to forw, 4T, 3R2T, 3F, 3L, FSSp, SSp, SlSt, 3S, CCoSp

Just WOW. Really well done, he just anihilated the competition here. And a good program too. I just noticed that he lands his third "after half-mark" quad to the "Nothing Else Matters" tunes... nice irony. Indeed, nothing does if you accumulate some 10 points for that.

tae04

On the Ice
Thanks for the report. WoW, he will be tough to beat if he's going to land 3 quads.

I see that Johnny Weir did 3A, 1A, 1A. It will be interesting to see how this is scored. Was the second one supposed to have been a triple Axel in combination, and the third an intended double?

emma

Record Breaker
I wonder why Weir is having such trouble with the axel...I always thought of him as a skater with one of the best and surest triple axels...anyone know why?

3 Axels in a row especially around the curve of an arena are choreographically a delight. But the CoP would never see that. Good for Johnny's attempt.

Joe

Alors, Joubert again with Metallica. Lysacek hugging Carmen. I suppose we will get Viva Vivaldi in NKH. Maybe it is a boring season.

btw, Tim Goebel did several different quads. Would love to see these senior skaters come up with something beyond the T.

Joe

Anna

On the Ice
Goebel did toe and salchow, that what Joubert did here. I don't rememeber any other skater landing any other quad in competition. Weiss attempted 4L, but underrotated it almost always, Serov, in his Russian days, was toying with 4R, but never came close to landing it. I believe someone (Joubert?) was talking about 4F, but no one ever tried it in competition AFAIR.

Goebel did toe and salchow, that what Joubert did here. I don't rememeber any other skater landing any other quad in competition. Weiss attempted 4L, but underrotated it almost always, Serov, in his Russian days, was toying with 4R, but never came close to landing it. I believe someone (Joubert?) was talking about 4F, but no one ever tried it in competition AFAIR.
Anna - So many male skaters were/are working on other than the T quad. Michael two footed most of his quad lutzes but made the rotations. Go to the tapes. No credit for that in 6.0 system.

Joe

Still, I think Joubert deserves a lot of credit fo doing two different quads -- the toe and the Salchow -- in the same program, and three quads in all, including one in combination and one after the half-way mark.

He wasn't the first to do this (Goebel was), but Brian is going to win a lot of contests with that jump line-up (plus a triple Axel). It's up to the other men to catch up now.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Joubert scored an 8.0 in Skating Skills in his LP, and 77.4 in PCS.

In major competition last year, the only PCS above that were:

85.25 Plushenko (Olys)
82.30 Plushenko (Euros)
78.5 Buttle (Olys, and unless he starts landing the quad, his total score will be less than Joubert's base)
77.88 Lambiel (Worlds)

and close below:

76.92 Lambiel (Euros)
76.28 Lambiel (Olys)
75.70 Sandhu (Worlds)
75.36 Weir (Olys)

The only other skaters with multiple quads in their programs have been pre-2006 Plushenko, although he would have pulled out a second, if he needed it, Lambiel, Lindemann (although he hasn't landed them since 2004), and this year, Dobrin :rock: I don't think Klimkin has tried for both the combo and the single.

It's one thing to have a 3A/3T and 3A to counter a 4T/3T and 3A, but Joubert has 4T/2T (probably to upgrade to 4T/3T), 4T, 4S, and 3A. That's a lot of base to make up, and the only one who had that in his arsenal in recent years is Plushenko, and before that, Goebel.

bostonskater

Rinkside
Anna - So many male skaters were/are working on other than the T quad. Michael two footed most of his quad lutzes but made the rotations. Go to the tapes. No credit for that in 6.0 system.

Joe

Weiss never landed a quad lutz in competition - he fell on all (both?) his attempts. He two-footed the landing on just about every quad toe he ever landed, if not all. I don't think anyone else has ever tried anything other than a quad toe and quad sal in competition.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Weiss never landed a quad lutz in competition - he fell on all (both?) his attempts.
He did land one, at US Nationals. It was originally ratified, and then the USFS revoked ratification. I believe they called it two-footed, not underrotated. Christine Brennan describes this in one of her books. I'd look it up, but the book's in storage.

sussweden

Rinkside
"I don't think anyone else has ever tried anything other than a quad toe and quad sal in competition."

Plushenko tried 4L I belive it was, fully rotated but fell in the landing (you can find this on youtube).

/Lena

Weiss never landed a quad lutz in competition - he fell on all (both?) his attempts. He two-footed the landing on just about every quad toe he ever landed, if not all. I don't think anyone else has ever tried anything other than a quad toe and quad sal in competition.

You missed my point about the 6.0. He gets credit for quads even with a fall or two footed in CoP. Lower yes, but not zilch like in 6.0 system.

Joe

gracefulswan

On the Ice
Alors, Joubert again with Metallica. Lysacek hugging Carmen. I suppose we will get Viva Vivaldi in NKH. Maybe it is a boring season.

btw, Tim Goebel did several different quads. Would love to see these senior skaters come up with something beyond the T.

Joe

but 3 quads under the CoPs, as someone else initially pointed out, is much more challenging than it was in goebel's heyday under the old judging system, what with the higher demands on the spins, spirals, footwork, transitions, etc.... to try and do 3 quads and maintain high levels and good PCS is amazing.

Last edited:
but 3 quads under the CoPs, as someone else initially pointed out, is much more challenging than it was in goebel's heyday under the old judging system, what with the higher demands on the spins, spirals, footwork, transitions, etc.... to try and do 3 quads and maintain high levels and good PCS is amazing.
Sorry GF but in the 6.0 system if you fell or two footed a quad there was absolutely no credit. In CoP one does get credit if the rotations are there and can fall or two foot.

Joe

Anna

On the Ice
You are mixing up the things. Under 6.0, you fall or land a quad on two feet you attempt wouldn't be ratified by ISU (or NGB), but the judges still took the notice and the base mark for technique for programs with failed quad vs. programs with no quad at all was always in favour on failed quad (unless the skater really sucked on all non-jumping elements). I don't remember enough about Weiss 4L attempts to say if it would be ratified under CoP, but just at this past CoR Klimkin's quad, which looked just fine to be what downgraded to triple...

ramina

Spectator
I see that Johnny Weir did 3A, 1A, 1A. It will be interesting to see how this is scored. Was the second one supposed to have been a triple Axel in combination, and the third an intended double?

It was 0,88x - GOE0,16=0,72 for the 1st 1A
and 0,88x (GOE 0) = 0,88 for the 2nd 1A
Could somebody please explain this scoring? Both jumps are defined as single Axel, and still credit ir received for both

Anna

On the Ice
What problem do you have with it? He did two 1A and he received credit for both.

If you are thinking about the number of times one can repeat jumps it only concerns jumps of 3 and more revolution. He can do eight 1A or 2A in his LP and he will be credited for each attempt.