Kvdp??? | Golden Skate

Kvdp???

MKFSfan

Medalist
What is the story or joke about Kevin van der Perren's name, or else the initials KVDP? I've seen mentions that there is something humorous about it, but it seems to be over my head.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I always thought it was just the initials of his name because we on the net are all so lazy that we don't want to spell it out? LOL

I always thought it was just the initials of his name because we on the net are all so lazy that we don't want to spell it out? LOL
ITA, and I don't think we know how to alphabetize him either. Is it with the v or the P?:laugh:

After working very hard on trying to find out who might make it into the GP Finals, I inadvertently left out KvdP who does have a chance if he wins NHK. Much apologies to all the KvdP fans.

Joe

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
ITA, and I don't think we know how to alphabetize him either. Is it with the v or the P?:laugh:

Joe

It's by the "v". To use a modified example, using my World Book Encyclopedia, he would appear rather like this among entries:

Vandals
Van de Graaf generator
VAN DER PERREN, KEVIN
van der Waals, Johannes
Vane, Sir Henry

Personally, I don't recall seeing Kevin abbreviated as "KVDP" very often on this board; as a matter of fact, despite being a huge van der Perren fan, when I saw the title of this thread, I was originally thinking "What the --- ?" then after I clicked on it, as it was coming up, I then realized oh, must be a van der Perren thing. Which of course then REALLY got my attention......:love:

I rarely use abbreviations like that myself; just a personal preference, I just think it looks better when it's spelled out entirely. (Plus I have a tendency to be slow-witted about these things and when I see an abbreviation like that it takes me forever to figure out who it is.... except of course, for MK..... :laugh: ) My one usual exception is Eman. Partly because it looks cool, and mainly because I can never remember if it's one "n" or two, and no matter how many "n"'s I use in Emanuel, it never looks right...... :laugh:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
After working very hard on trying to find out who might make it into the GP Finals, I inadvertently left out KvdP who does have a chance if he wins NHK. Much apologies to all the KvdP fans.

Joe

And no need to apologize to this "KvdP" :laugh: fan; if he wins NHK, I will be extremely shocked. Thrilled, but shocked. Tho it was always a good competition for one of my all-time favorites, Tatyana Malinina -- one of the few good competitions she ever had, at least consistently -- so who knows???

Jonny. How would we alphabetize Ludwig v.Bethoven (whose father was a Belgian)? every seems to know him as Bethoven.

I'm with you. I've been a KvdP fan for several years. Love the spotting in the triples. He would make an excellent danser noble.

Joe

MKFSfan

Medalist
Oh. I read on one of these websites, and now I cannot recall where, where the posters were talking about his initials spelling something out, and some posters were all :rofl: about how it was over their head. Left me wondering if I missed something! :scratch: Nevermind then!

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Jonny. How would we alphabetize Ludwig v.Bethoven (whose father was a Belgian)? every seems to know him as Bethoven.

Joe

I think technically and correctly, it would be filed as van Beethoven, Ludwig, BUT this would be a special case. If all his compositions were listed as being composed by 'VAN BEETHOVEN' then that's how it would appear, but since he's always known as simply 'BEETHOVEN', then that's how he gets filed. With other people who are more commonly known with the 'van' included (for example, Rembrandt van Rijn), it would be filed under 'van'.

And it's odd, now that you mention that his father was Belgian (which I did not know), as I type out "Beethoven", I can completely see how Belgian that looks and sounds....... I'd never noticed before.

Actually, if anything, the initials "KVDP", to me, bring to mind a brand of men's designer underwear..... :laugh: :laugh:

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom

I'm with you. I've been a KvdP fan for several years. Love the spotting in the triples. He would make an excellent danser noble.

Joe

I never knew Beethoven's Father was Belgian!

BTW Belgian Nationals is coming up next week. ;) [I believe KVDP's fiance will compete there as a guest].

I think abbreviations are perfectly acceptable - KVDP is used often.

When you come across a Dutch Footballer called Jan Venegoor of Hesselink, you have to succumb to shortening, though the British commentators [he currently plays in Scotland for Celtic] love saying his full name for novelty value.

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I heard by the grapevine that she was leaving him for this joker.

Ooh, spooky, they could be related! ;)

Jan Venegoor of Hesselink!
Of all perfection, he's the pink!

LOL! Mathman, we have a radio station here called TalkSport, and last year when we thought that this player might be joining my team Spurs, one of our fans phoned in with a special song to sing for him that the supporters could all join in with, and funnily enough it was to the tune of "Lilly The Pink":

"Weeee'll drink a drink a drink
to Jan Venegoor of Hesselink
the player with
the longest naaaame!"

:laugh:

Fredegunda

Rinkside
It's by the "v". To use a modified example, using my World Book Encyclopedia, he would appear rather like this among entries:

Vandals
Van de Graaf generator
VAN DER PERREN, KEVIN
van der Waals, Johannes
Vane, Sir Henry

In Dutch and AFAIK in Flemish (which is the Dutch spoken in Flanders), "van," "van der," "van den" etc. as well as "de" are considered prefixes and they are not used to alphabetize a name. In English, obviously this is not the case, as English-language encyclopedias demonstrate (Beethoven being a notable exception).

In Dutch lists or a Dutch encyclopedia, Kevin would appear as "Perren, Kevin van der." Sometimes "van der" is abbreviated v/d. IIRC "van der" is never capitalized in Dutch, except "van" when it begins a sentence.

We use PvdA to abbreviate "Partij van de Arbeid," or Labour Party. By this logic I guess you can just as well abbreviate Kevin as KvdP ;-)

As for Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink, that's not too bad - I knew a girl whose last name was "van Nispen tot Pannerden," but she only used the first half.

Last edited:
No truth to any of this, just me being silly. :)

Best wishes to KvdP (thanks for the lowdown Fredegunda) and Jenna. :agree:

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Oh, I only took it as a joke Mathman. ;)

Jenna & Kevin are very happy together, engaged, living and training in Belgium together. :)

fara

Spectator
For all of you who want to know, the exact spelling of Kevin's name is :

Kevin Van der Perren

(capital V and little d)

aphrodite_xl

On the Ice
Are you sure? It's spelled with a small v on his official web site.

http://www.kevinvanderperren.net/

http://groups.msn.com/kevinvanderperren

The Dutch convention is to spell "van der" all in small letters. There are thousands of names like it, for example "van den berg" which means from the mountain, or "van + placename" which is obvious. As there are no names like these in English, the British/American convention is to spell "van" with a capital like in Van Halen :laugh: Don't know what Perren actually means, but I'm sure it is some kind of location marker, and his family in the 18th century must have lived close to things called "perren".