Free Dance Report | Golden Skate

Free Dance Report

Anna

On the Ice
Beknazarova/Zuev, Flamenco Medley

CoSp, b2h, upturned, RoLi+SlLi he on one feet she hangs on his shoulder, CiSt, close and forces, some hydroblading, SeLi, "Dom&Shab" balance with her leg wrapped around his neck, Tw, very slow and out of unison, SlLi, she leans out while he sits, DiSt, CuLi, lean back while he does spreadeagle.

Boring and unoriginal. Not much of expression either.

Platonova/Maximishin, Flamenco

CoSp, uprturned, b2h, SeLi, split "perperndicular" to his hips change of hanging on the shoulder, CiSt, far apart, Tw, slow, SlLi layback, he sits, CuLi she in B he hold her by the waist+RoLi, MiSt, RoLi 1 hand, good power in the ending mintues.

Better than Ukranians, sharper, more attack, more enegry, better flow, but still have bland as far as flamenco goes.

Matthewies/Zavozin, Mrvica Medley

SlLi, their trademark one, DiSt, too far away, SeLi, chage of position, Tw, CiSt, slow, but with the nice flow, Sp, SlLi+CuLi, layback to B&A's "low" lift RoLi.

Good choreography and excellent power in the end, made me wonder if it meas that the dance is too easy, normaly skaters are tired at the end.

Cappellini/LaNotte, I've Got Rhythm

Sp, CiSt, SlLi he in deep sit, she layback, Tw, holding the blade, CuLi, MiSt, sharp, RoLi.

Somewhat more subduied than in Paris (there were very few spectators during FD today, so they might have been affected by the lack of "feedback"), but still very nice and sharp, and they really sold the theme and captured the character perfectly.

Frazer/Lukanin, Caribbean Guitar

Sp, she looked like she is pain, SlLi, he in spreadeagle, CiSt, CuLi, Tw, CoSli I cannot read the notes, sorry, MiSt he stumbed on twizzle, but in was minor mistake, RRoLi, forced rotation.

Overall the dance is well choreographed, have a style and so on, but it wasn't very exciting or "mood-setting" performance.

Domnina/Shabalin, Polovetsian Dances

Sp, DiSt, nice speed and power, SlLi, SlLi+RoLi, Tw, good this time, SeLi, CiSt, RoLi.

I suppose it's a compliment to their skills that I did not look down to write the descriptions of the elements... Very well done. Powerful, relaxed, good attack, good character. The FD suits them perfectly.

Kerr/Kerr, The Last of Mohikans

CuLi+RoLi, she sits on his shoulder, CuLi, their trademark one, he sits she balance on his knees facing him, Sp, CiSt, slow, SeLi handstand on his knees,, DiSt somewhat forced, RoLi in split.

I suppose La Rhumba will be convinced that I am a "hater",but... The dance itself is very good and have a potential to be one of the best this season, but they aren't up to it in stamina. They need to have better glide, and be faster on nearly every element... I liked it nonetheless, but they really have a lot of work ahead of them.

Belbin/Agosto, That's Entertainment

DiSt, no speed, CuLi, change of pose, CiSt, Tw, CuLi+RoLi, SeLi, it took her really long to get into both positions, RoLi, split, slow, Sp.

Now, sorry, that's just bad. Ok, the style suits them and they can sell it, but there was nothing to sell. All the elements are recycled from the old programs and aren't even well done and aside from elements it's just empty.

Hoffman/Elek, Swing, brother, swing

MiSt, CuLi+RoLi, Tw, SlLi, SeLi, CoSp, CiSt, RoLi.

Better performance than in Paris and they were more succesful in selling and setting the mood than B&A. But most of their lifts look laboured.

Delobel/Schoenfelder, Bonnie and Clyde

RoLi, 1 hand, with unusual position for her, CiSt, Tw, he messed his, SeLi, balancing on his hip to upside down, Sp, b2h to B, looking pained, CuLi, she in split, MiSt, could use more speed, SlLi, leaning back+RoLi, there she is a sort of donut.

Not as intense as in Paris, but I still felt that she should have won the FD over B&A. But their levels are unexplainable, they got level 2 for one of the lifts?

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Thankyou Anna for your review. :)
Though I'm sad to hear that the arena didn't have alot of spectators. :frown:

I never use expressions like the one you said, ;) you're expressing your opinion, and I thank you for your positive view of the Kerr's FD. :agree:
I'm really happy that you like the programme, and I was delighted that the Kerr's increased their lead after the FD to finish unchallenged in 4th place which was their stated goal for this event. :clap:
Overall it was a much better competition for them, and they've improved hugely since SA, and will continue to work on the FD I'm sure, before defending their British Title and going to Europeans in January.

I understand now what your criticisms were Anna, that you were comparing them directly to the top 3 at this event, but as they finished a career high of 10th at Torino Olympics last season, this is the level where they are coming from, and working towards improving. Ofcourse their CDs will not match the quality of DomShabs at CoR, but they have improved their ranking each season, which is all you can expect and hope for as fans. :)

Just since SA the CD and OD quality were greatly improved, and to achieve 4th place in this tough field is well done IMO.

Congrats to all the Medalists, and well done to Diva Nora Hoffman & Atilla Elek for making a comeback at this event, and beating several couples who had previously beaten them. The announcement of their intended breakup and retirement on Eurosport at last year's Worlds was unfounded and premature - they are back!! :bow:

Re Luca Lanotte & Anna Capellini - I like this couple very much too, they are so attractive on the ice, with an infectious personality, and I really enjoy their routines this season, but IMO the technical difficulty of their FD would place them top 15 at world level, and I hope they'll be going to Euros and Worlds this season. It's easy to get carried away with the young, fresh from Juniors couples on the scene this year who are very exciting, but overly enthusiastic to predict top 10 finishes so soon.

I know you're still perturbed Anna about the Kerrs being siblings, and carrying off a Tango or other passionate theme. But I would just say what about the icedancers who aren't couples off ice, like Tanith & Ben? They are all just *acting* the part, which is a major factor in Dance of all forms. I think if you start off with the premise in your mind that these two are related, how can they portray a passionate theme? Their dance will never make an impression on you.

ETA: I hope we won't have another season where the DelSchoes are left off the podium at the major events. What more do they have to do to get the credit they deserve for their skating?

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope we won't have another season where the DelSchoes are left off the podium at the major events. What more do they have to do to get the credit they deserve for their skating?

They have to not make mistakes.

DelShoes scored extremely high on their own home ice and it was unrealistic of them to expect to get the same astronomical scores elsewhere. When they made a major FD mistake on a close rival's home ice, they were doomed to pay the price.

If DomShabs hadn't made their mistake in the OD, they probably would have won this competition by a hair. Since DomShabs DID botch the OD, DelShoes could easily have won the gold medal were it not for their mistake.

I never would have expected B/A to win this event, but they were the only top team to deliver two clean performances. Their FD is bad right now, but they perform it well.

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Thanks for your views chuck. I haven't seen the performances of the top 3, but I read on the AS board that DelSchoes had a nervy skate and were not as good as in Practice. I'm so hoping they'll be right on top form at Euros. :agree:

But I would just say what about the icedancers who aren't couples off ice, like Tanith & Ben?
I agree about Tanith and Benjamin. When they skate they give off a lot more of a brother and sister vibe than the last of the red hot lovers. When they do try to act sexy, it's more like kids playing dress-up.

Just a different style. (Two totally wonderful young people, BTW.)

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I've only seen the still photos, but I thought Tanith & Ben's FD costumes looked gorgeous. :love: Very smart. Personally I think a showtune routine suits their personality more than last year's Flamenco, but I guess I won't have much support there. ;) I just recall their wonderful OD the first year I saw them as Juniors at the GPF in 2000 [incidentally they used the same split leg rotational lift back then so that one should be changed].

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree about Tanith and Benjamin. When they skate they give off a lot more of a brother and sister vibe than the last of the red hot lovers. When they do try to act sexy, it's more like kids playing dress-up.

Just a different style. (Two totally wonderful young people, BTW.)

Have you seen their Tango this year? Not at all like kids playing dress-up. This is a very steamy dance.

Anna

On the Ice
Thankyou Anna for your review. :)
I know you're still perturbed Anna about the Kerrs being siblings, and carrying off a Tango or other passionate theme. But I would just say what about the icedancers who aren't couples off ice, like Tanith & Ben? They are all just *acting* the part, which is a major factor in Dance of all forms. I think if you start off with the premise in your mind that these two are related, how can they portray a passionate theme? Their dance will never make an impression on you.

Their dance just did not made an impression on me, period. The problem I have is not that they are bro&sis, it's that their dance lacks that underlying sexual tension that is an intergral part of tango, if one goes for the classical interpretaion, as they did. It's "formally" correct - carriage, posture, steps etc - are all what they should be and the choreography is very good, but for me it falls just short of the target.

What I've been trying to say (apparently with little success) is what I *might* have been troubled *if* their dance really had that kind of tension [OFF if/then clauses has always been a weak point in my understanding of English grammar.... /OFF], because they are siblings, but it just didn't. IMHO, of course...

There are ways to avoid this problem. This year we have a least two ODs (Del&Sch, out of nessecity, I think, and Dom&Shab, may be of artistic choice, because they can connect to each other) which are very intense, but the intensity is directed inwards not outwards to either partner or audience. It's not exactly a traditional tango, but it's close enough and is sort of "legitimate" variation. We have absolutely different Tango from Khokhlova&Novitsky, which many have said is not a tango at all, and I think Pechalat&Bourzat is more of the European/retro/1920s tango than a passionate Argentine one.

But Libertango which Kerrs have chosen is (for me at least) an examplary Argentine tango, 'vertical expression of horizontal desire' and all that. You have to do it this way or you don't do it at all.

I have no problems with team who aren't dating. I mean it's all the act and I doubt that even the teams who are dating show the "real thing" in their performance, I think they are using the same acting skills as anyone else. It's just the matter of how convincing this acting is.

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
At last! We agree on something Anna, that K&N's OD is not a Tango! LOL! :laugh:

I appreciate you taking the time to clarify your views. :)

It's been inspirational today to hear such positive feedback from other Russian skating fans who saw the competition and really enjoyed the Kerrs - both OD and FD - so that's great news. :agree:

Apparantly they gave a super performance in the Gala too, with Sinead doing 3 reverse lifts! :bow:

Have you seen their (Belbin and Agosto's) Tango this year? Not at all like kids playing dress-up. This is a very steamy dance.
Yes, I have seen it. It's a strong piece.

I guess I just "know" them too well (I don't really know them, but they are in the news a lot here, they do a lot of local performances, etc., so it seems like I know them.) To me they still seem like good friends who are out there putting on a show. Which is, after all, the exact truth.

My favorite Belbin and Agosto piece is Green Acres, so you can see where I'm at in my dance appreciation class.

At one of the cheesefests here a couple of yers ago the sponsors advertised that anyone who would make a contribution to public television would get admission to the ice show and a "meet-and-greet" with the stars of the show -- Michelle, Sasha, Irina, Plushenko, etc.

So the room was full of expectant guests, waiting for their autograph and photo ops. But the skaters said, hey, we've got a show to prepare for, we can't do this on such short notice. So Tanith and Ben were rushed in.

At first there was some grumbling about, "where's Michelle?" but Tanith and Ben were so sweet and nice that they quickly won everyone over, posed for pictures with everyone (if you dare me I'll post my picture with them, LOL), talked as long as you wanted. In fact, we stayed so long that we missed the opening performances. :)

they eventually had to rush away to get ready for their half-time exhibition. :love:

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Yes please, I'd love to see your pic. :)

I don't know anyone who has met them, going back to Junior days, who hasn't said what lovely people they are, and very humble too. :love:

Final Flight
Delobel/Schoenfelder, Bonnie and Clyde

RoLi, 1 hand, with unusual position for her, CiSt, Tw, he messed his, SeLi, balancing on his hip to upside down, Sp, b2h to B, looking pained, CuLi, she in split, MiSt, could use more speed, SlLi, leaning back+RoLi, there she is a sort of donut.

Not as intense as in Paris, but I still felt that she should have won the FD over B&A. But their levels are unexplainable, they got level 2 for one of the lifts?

its nice to find another "experienced/trained" person that thinks that the scores or levels or whatever for del/sch are unreasonable :rock:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
its nice to find another "experienced/trained" person that thinks that the scores or levels or whatever for del/sch are unreasonable :rock:

The reason they didn't win over B/A is that if they did, DomShabs would have been in third place, and that was not about to happen at Cup of Russia. So DelShoes had to be sacrificed and scored low enough on the FD to wind up in 3rd place overall. Capisce?

Final Flight

yeah i get it...
this is probably the 45th timesomeone has said this ...but how .....bias and unfair...and totally going a gainst the point of the new judging system...or any judging system ever created...my opinion...please don't attack me with 123232 polls of comments

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If you're going to post on a discussion board, 1795, you have to expect to get comments on your post. That's why this is called a discussion board!

I never said it was "fair" that DelShoes took such a hit in their FD score. In fact, the tone of my post said just the opposite.

Final Flight
If you're going to post on a discussion board, 1795, you have to expect to get comments on your post. That's why this is called a discussion board!

I never said it was "fair" that DelShoes took such a hit in their FD score. In fact, the tone of my post said just the opposite.

there's a difference between attack and reply....attack and discuss
i wasnt really talking about you specifically