Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: NHK Trophy Preview

News NHK Trophy Preview

The ISU Grand Prix draws to a close this week in Nagano, Japan with the NHK Trophy. An emerging superpower in the skating world, Japan shows signs of eclipsing Russia and the United States in the singles disciplines with unsurpassed young talent. The time for that young talent is now.

More ...

Lovin' the Kween ... Now and Forever
    Acoording to the ISU's updated list, both Kostner and Gedevanishvili are out, and the only replacement is Tugba Karademir.

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/...-0-file,00.pdf

Banned
    Lambiel may need to be satisfied with just making the podium at this event.
    This about the most ridiculous statement one could ever make. What a joke of a preview.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by slutskayafan21 View Post
    This about the most ridiculous statement one could ever make. What a joke of a preview.
    I agree with you about that statement. I'd put money on Lambiel before Takahashi. And while Oda is very promising, Lambiel has a quad and is the world champion.

There is nobody here to challenge the three Japanese ladies and they will undoubtedly form the podium.

Dubreuil and Lauzon have had "lucky" draws this season in terms of being able to easily win, but I'm not sure they may not have preferred to face some of their real challengers a bit earlier and get the lay of the land while they still had more time to make changes or improvements to programs. It can be a two-edged sword.

Down With It
    The Big One- the time has come for Asada and Suguri to step up. I think Asada will win this one, although Suguri and Nakano have surprised before. Those are the only three I care about here because I think everyone else is out of contention for the GPF.

I think the podium will be:

Asada
    Suguri
    Nakano

Down With It
    I think the above is a very likely scenario. However, it could just as easily be Suguri-Asada-Nakano as well.

P.S. Your custom title- is that old or is there an announcement I missed?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    I think the above is a very likely scenario. However, it could just as easily be Suguri-Asada-Nakano as well.

P.S. Your custom title- is that old or is there an announcement I missed?
    Or both Suguri and Asada cave to the enormous pressure of skating at home, leaving Nakano left standing, lol.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by rain View Post
    Or both Suguri and Asada cave to the enormous pressure of skating at home, leaving Nakano left standing, lol.
    I think the one thing clear in all this is that a Japanese sweep is heavily favored.

Skating Freak Barbie
    I think the one thing clear in all this is that a Japanese sweep is heavily favored.
    Agreed....the order of finish is up in the air.

And Takahashi has a "reliable" quad? I love Daisuke, but I don't think, having watched him the last two seasons or so, that his quad jump is so reliable. I know he's rotated it a few times, but how many times has he landed it cleanly? I mean, that statement kind of hit me like "Buttle has a reliable quad". But maybe I've been missing on some of Dai's attempts.

Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    Agreed....the order of finish is up in the air.

And Takahashi has a "reliable" quad? I love Daisuke, but I don't think, having watched him the last two seasons or so, that his quad jump is so reliable. I know he's rotated it a few times, but how many times has he landed it cleanly? I mean, that statement kind of hit me like "Buttle has a reliable quad". But maybe I've been missing on some of Dai's attempts.

I can't stop laughing.
    Now I can't breath.

Your custom title- is that old or is there an announcement I missed?

Haha!!! It's old ... I really should change it. Maybe I'll just keep it though ... this way, when she does come back, I'll be one step ahead of everyone else!

Down With It
    When she comes back? Do you know something the rest of us here don't? If so, please enlighten us

Wouldn't you like to know!!!

On the Ice
    If Mao does not win gold at NHK she'll not qualify for the Grand Prix Final. Wouldn't that be odd, Julia in but Kimmie and Mao out . . .
    Smart money would be on Mao to win. Even with a badly botched free skate at Skate America, Mao still outscored Fumie's skate at Skate Canada, 171.23 to 168.76. If Mao puts together 2 decent skates, Fumie won't be able to touch her.
    As the saying goes, though, the ice tends to be slippery, especially if there is a lot on the line.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast