TV coverage | Golden Skate

TV coverage

rich7654

Spectator
For those (like me) who have been frustrated by ABC's erratic coverage of GP events, I recommend combing your TV schedules. Here in Southern California, the last two events have been shown on ABC---but not at the time indicated on Heather's TV Schedule. They've been shown at 1:00 a.m. on Monday! At present, Cup of Russia is scheduled for 12:30 a.m. on Monday, Dec. 4.

Thanks a lot, ABC.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
For those (like me) who have been frustrated by ABC's erratic coverage of GP events, I recommend combing your TV schedules. Here in Southern California, the last two events have been shown on ABC---but not at the time indicated on Heather's TV Schedule. They've been shown at 1:00 a.m. on Monday! At present, Cup of Russia is scheduled for 12:30 a.m. on Monday, Dec. 4.

Thanks a lot, ABC.
Yeah ABC, thanks for nothing.
And thank you for letting us know, Rich! I appreciate it.
Rave

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
ABC never shows them here any more. I tried to tape the one Sun and goofed and couldn't find anyone else to tape it for me. Think I might go to the thread where they sell the tapes.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I don't know why for sure it happened, but as soon as I started calling, writing - generally complaining but with gratitude for even showing them at all - the times went from 2:30 am Monday morning, changed to 11:00 - 11:30 Sunday afternoon. So it could be for a different reason, who really knows. But I do believe a little "Nice Whining" went a long way her in the Denver area.

Or it could be AEG pulling some strings to keep it popular around the Denver area.

Who knows, but the point remains, it didn't hurt to call and write ' cuz now they are on in the afternoon.:clap: :clap: :clap:

:p to the doubters :p

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was surprised they didn't show the ladies on ABC. All they showed was Sarah Meirer's program. It just seemed strange, they always show the ladies and leave others out.

Dee

R.D.

Record Breaker
ok, so I wasn't going insane! I missed the first half hour of it and usually they show the ladies last but I didn't see them and thought I missed it! I'm kind of relieved, actually but I still missed Meier. :mad:

I guess all the ladies were so bad they didn't want to show the competition.

It was funny how they handled it, though. They pretended that the ladies' competition was already over, so now here is a replay of Sarah Meier's winning performance.

Now here we go live with the pairs, dance and men. :laugh:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Ya know, after seeing Sarah talk and I think the portion they showed was good stuff, she has become a much more attractive person to me than prior. In ALL ways - love the voice and attitude she seems to have. Anyway she is up a notch or 2 in my "book" from what I have seen this year. Seems wonderful as well as DDG.:love: IOW I like her persona more which makes her more appealing all the way around.

R.D.

Record Breaker
they interviewed Sarah? (she speaks English?)

I'm surprised at how many of these foreign skaters can speak English, even if with a thick accent and broken.

Sarah -- in common with almost everyone in Switzerland -- speaks English quite well. (She probably speaks German, French and Italian also.)

It all depends on what country you are from. People from insular countries like China, Japan and the United States live their whole lives and never hear any other language spoken but their own.

In most of Europe, you hear a variety of languages and most people seem to be able to pick it up fairly easily.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Spanish is becoming increasingly common here in the states as well.

babyoscar

On the Ice
English

Sarah -- in common with almost everyone in Switzerland -- speaks English quite well. (She probably speaks German, French and Italian also.)

It all depends on what country you are from. People from insular countries like China, Japan and the United States live their whole lives and never hear any other language spoken but their own.

In most of Europe, you hear a variety of languages and most people seem to be able to pick it up fairly easily.

Actually, English is a required language in both China and Taiwan. The kids are taught English at school starting in junior high, the equivalent of 7th grade or so. However, I know in Taiwan, most kids take afterschool classes, so the kids do learn English starting from about age 10 or so. I just want to point out that education isn't free in both China and Taiwan. You do have to have some money in order to attend school. School isn't mandatory from what I understand. I am not sure about Japan. I do know a little girl who is from France who lived in Japan for quite a number of years. That little girl learned French, Japanese, and English at her school. I was quite amazed how much she can converse between each language when I met her at age 10.

Last edited:

kajsa

Rinkside
Ya know, after seeing Sarah talk and I think the portion they showed was good stuff, she has become a much more attractive person to me than prior. In ALL ways - love the voice and attitude she seems to have. Anyway she is up a notch or 2 in my "book" from what I have seen this year. Seems wonderful as well as DDG.:love: IOW I like her persona more which makes her more appealing all the way around.

:laugh:

I haven't seen that particular interview but yeah, she seems to have a good attitude and a lovely personality. I like the way she's answering the questions in the interviews. She and her skating rock. :rock: :)

I'm surprised at how many of these foreign skaters can speak English, even if with a thick accent and broken.

Here in Europe English is very widely spoken, especially among young people. I think that one reason for that might be the fact that many European languages (like Finnish, Swedish, Estonian, Lithuanian, Hungarian...) are not so widely spoken outside of those countries. So, for us English language is often a very good solution when we want to communicate with foreign people.