Sasha at Rockefeller Center | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sasha at Rockefeller Center

From what we could see, no jumps, no falls, flexibility in tact, and flow beautiful.
She's looking competitive and I think we'll see her at the Nats.

Joe

:yes:

Hope you're right. The only thing that bothers me is her refusal to jump in exhibitions. To my mind, the only way she will get over the jumping nerves is to jump, jump, jump until it's not nervewracking any more.

Unless she has to limit jumping because of back problems. Who knows?

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'm not sure it's that simple. I think it's simply one of those cases where you either "got it or you don't". She's a skater but not a competitor. It's still amazing to me that she's been able to win so many medals, but doesn't surprise me that none of them are Gold. (Not counting GP events here)

Fossi

Final Flight
You might be right on the $$ Red Dog.
Sasha is a beautiful skater minus the jumps, but the jumps are never going to go away in figure skating. I don't know if Sasah would be competitive with the young and ambitious girls today.
Sasha's best chance at Worlds was in '06, and even then she didn't make it count. I don't know how her skating would hold up against the technically brilliant young skaters of today.

You forgot though RedDog: Sasha does ahve a gold at Nationals. But she did win it with mistakes and no Kwan, but a win is a win.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
You're right, that Nats Gold slipped my mind. Still, Kwan wasn't there to challenge her. However, a win is a win indeed.

The "brilliant young skaters of today" have one thing that Cohen didn't have, and that's TECH. Gone are the 6.0 days where you could win on presentation.

Something in me says Cohen may have underestimated the field at worlds. Yes, it was depleted but you still had Suguri and Rochette (and as we now know, Meissner :laugh: ).

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
no but Kimmie Meissner and Emily Hughes were... and Kimmie went on to become what? ;)

Kwan is not the US Nationals. Why that has to define how much 'glory' a gold medal has I have no clue. :rolleyes:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Kwan is not the US Nationals. Why that has to define how much 'glory' a gold medal has I have no clue. :rolleyes:

But I'm telling you, she WAS US Nationals ;) . Every year up to, and including 2006.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
according to the media, 95% of the crowd, and perhaps the USFSA - yes you're correct

but if that's teh case then why continue it after she's gone ;)

heyang

Record Breaker

Kwan is to current figure skating what the Yankees are to baseball. They both have the legacy of history. Ask any baseball team who they would want to beat in the World Series and they would likely respond with 'the Yankees'.

As for Kimmie and Emily, they did not have the presentation last year to beat a clean Sasha (or Michelle). While Sasha & Michelle may not have had the 3A, etc, they had plenty of other skills that would have compensated for some of the point differences.

Sasha's performance at last years Nationals was somewhat lackluster from a performance aspect and I think much of that was related to her being sick. I think that if Michelle had been there, she might have pushed herself a little harder.

Fossi

Final Flight
Sasha's performance at last years Nationals was somewhat lackluster from a performance aspect and I think much of that was related to her being sick. I think that if Michelle had been there, she might have pushed herself a little harder.

Yeah, but there was always some excuses after Sasha didn't skate well. Shingles, spiderbites, baking too many cookies, flu, babies crying in the audience. I just stopped listening to all them excuses!!!!! Sort of like Johnny Weir. Too much excuses.

orchid

On the Ice
No, because the point of the singer being there at all is so you can listen to her singing. There is nothing interesting about someone just standing there holding a microphone up to her face for three minutes.

But skating is a visual art. Show the skating, listen to the music.

I imagine the TV focus on Cristina rather than Sasha, is because Cristina is current and Sasha is NOT currently competing. Yea, an Olympic medalist but not an active competitor.

However, if Michelle were on the ice..............