Sasha discouraged by judges not giving her major title due to jump errors? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Sasha discouraged by judges not giving her major title due to jump errors?

mskater93

Record Breaker
Not if you can't do a reliable triple sal or triple toe, which Mao STILL has not completed in a program.

Fossi

Final Flight
That it SOOOO true! That's why I, myself, don't get the hype surrounding Mao. If/when she loses her triple axel, what will she have to fall back on? At least as inconsistent as Sasha was, she had the full arsenal of jumps. Her technique certainly needed much work, but she managed to land them somehow.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Not if you can't do a reliable triple sal or triple toe, which Mao STILL has not completed in a program.

For the past few months, Mao has been rumored to be working a 3toe back into her LPs in the form of a 2axle/3toe combo.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Not having seen her do the one at NHK but having seen the video of the "double toe" she put on the triple Axel at Japanese Nationals last year, I am HIGHLY suspicious of the quality of the take off, though.

Watching Mao on youtube, it's hard to believe people think Kimmie's posture is poor. From what I saw, Mao's is totally rigid throughout.

Joe

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Watching Mao on youtube, it's hard to believe people think Kimmie's posture is poor. From what I saw, Mao's is totally rigid throughout.

Joe
And if Arakawa's Olympic performance is considered "dull," Asada's phrasing and "interpretation" of "Czardas" is a cure for insomnia, IMO.

antmanb

Record Breaker

Ahem...i know it could be considered a spoiler but she has now landed the triple toe in competition fully ratified.

Ant

Lanie

On the Ice
Remember Sasha had two falls AFAIK at 2003 Nats and popped a jump, or something like that? 3rd place was perfectly justified. Sasha was out-skated by other people though I do agree 2005 Worlds and 2005 Nats were very iffy results-wise, especially 2005 Worlds. Sasha just never worked hard enough to really get that strength in her to land those jumps. End of story.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Sasha just never worked hard enough to really get that strength in her to land those jumps. End of story.

yeahthat.gif

R.D.

Record Breaker
Remember Sasha had two falls AFAIK at 2003 Nats and popped a jump, or something like that? 3rd place was perfectly justified. Sasha was out-skated by other people though I do agree 2005 Worlds and 2005 Nats were very iffy results-wise, especially 2005 Worlds.

Iffy? How? She certainly didn't deserve to win either competition, but I guess an argument could be made that she should have been placed lower. Personally I thought the comps were more or less fair and 2nd place deserved.

Basically guys, this thread boils down to one simple statement: She's a much better show skater than she is a competitive skater. I expect her to put out inspiring performances Sunday at Marshall's since that's a no pressure situation. But turn it into a competition setting that requires jumps and you expect those mistakes.

Last edited:

Fossi

Final Flight
Sasha didn't stand a chance against Irina at 2005 Worlds. Nobody did. Irina skated great and no matter how Sasha skated I don't think she wouldve beaten a clean Irina. Irina was on fire! And I don't think Nationals '05 was at all iffy either. Sasha had her chance again and blew it.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Remember Sasha had two falls AFAIK at 2003 Nats and popped a jump, or something like that? 3rd place was perfectly justified. Sasha was out-skated by other people though I do agree 2005 Worlds and 2005 Nats were very iffy results-wise, especially 2005 Worlds. Sasha just never worked hard enough to really get that strength in her to land those jumps. End of story.

If memory serves me correctly-at 2003 Nationals, after a rather shaky SP, Sasha headed to the LP in 2nd and then fell on her solo 3toe, 2ft'd the 3toe on the backend of her 3flutz/3toe and on the 3salchow. She also had a horribly cheated loop, an ugly landed 2 axel and landed 3 clean triples. The reason I recall all this is I thought AP, with 7 triple performance (only mistake was popping the 2axel) was ROBBED of at least 3rd, if not 2nd in the LP.

I agree with the rest who really don't think Sasha, or anyone, could've beaten Irina at 2005 Worlds. That LP was Irina's skate of a lifetime and Sasha had a few wobbly, saved jump landings as it was. 2005 Nationals was up for grabs, but once again, Michelle stayed upright and delivered a solid, while a bit tentative LP, with one mistake-doubled the last jump. Sasha had the hand down and a fall, and was tentative herself. I think there was more of an arguement to be made that Kimmie could've been 2nd-not that I feel she should've-but she did steal a few 2nd place ordinals from Sasha.

antmanb

Record Breaker
If memory serves me correctly-at 2003 Nationals, after a rather shaky SP, Sasha headed to the LP in 2nd and then fell on her solo 3toe, 2ft'd the 3toe on the backend of her 3flutz/3toe and on the 3salchow. She also had a horribly cheated loop, an ugly landed 2 axel and landed 3 clean triples. The reason I recall all this is I thought AP, with 7 triple performance (only mistake was popping the 2axel) was ROBBED of at least 3rd, if not 2nd in the LP.
I seem to recall at the time there was a big debate about the 7 "clean" triples that AP landed. From reports of a very reliable source i thought 6 of those 7 triples had been two footed to one degree or another by AP?

Ant