General Notes on reports | Golden Skate

General Notes on reports

Rosaleen

Medalist
There's 3 rinks running at the same time, so I'm obviously not going to see all of the events. I'm probably going to be watching all of the men and as much of the other events as I can fit in (Pairs is 2nd in line and then the juniors).

They're only announcing the total score for the skate, and for the Quebec skaters it seems that they're only announcing in French. Sometimes they announce the current placement and sometimes they don't. I don't have music sheets or planned content in the area although I understand they're available in hardcopy in the media room.

I've been told that the results will be posted on the skate canada website at the end of each day.

If you have any questions or specific requests, please post them in this thread and I'll try and answer them for you.

Rosaleen

Medalist
Another note: I have wireless internet both at the hotel and here in the arena but the connect is quite slow and I'm having trouble at time to post the reports (it took me 4 tries to get my last post to actually post)

bems

Rinkside
Results Reports

We all owe you a great deal of thanks for being the best in reporting results.

It's people like you who keep the interest in this sport high with your timely reports.

Without your dedication we'd be in the dark!

skater 17

Rinkside
Thank you so much for all your reporting, the Skate Canada site is still not working. Would have not known anything with out your reports. Thanks again!!

snowman

Spectator
thank you

Hello,

Thank you to all of you trying to post information. It is Friday morning here in Fredericton, NB and I just checked the Skate Canada Website and still no results. Did we not have the same problem last year??????I agree with out you who take the time to inform us we would be in the dark!!!!!!!It is amazing how Skate Canada website can post international results but events in our own country seem to be a problem???????
Thank You again.

snowman

Spectator
Pre-Novice Pairs Eastern

Does anyone know how the Pre-Novice Pairs Eastern,Short Program finished?

Rosaleen

Medalist
Does anyone know how the Pre-Novice Pairs Eastern,Short Program finished?

Sorry, I didn't stay for them last night - I was just too tired. As soon as I get to the rink today (around 9:00am) I'll get the sheet for both the Pre-Nov Pairs East and Nov Dance East and post the results (if the Skate Canada site still isn't working).

The lady attempting to post the results didn't get the files from the accountants until around 8:30pm, which is when she started trying to post them. I really don't know why they can't get organized to post the results after each event. At least that way they would have known they had a problem earlier in the day and might have been able to solve it sooner.

I'll also try and get results sheets right after each event and post the numbers as soon as I can, but it may not be until I get back to the hotel.

cygnus

Rinkside
Is everything okay with Rosaleen? It's odd she didn't post anything today. (Or was she only able to attend the first 2 days of competition?) technical problems perhaps?

Rosaleen

Medalist
I'm here but I didn't have an internet connection at the arena today. I just got back to the hotel now and am working on posting everything.

I tried to send a PM to let everyone know but I'm not sure if it went through or not

cygnus

Rinkside
Ah thanks. I thought it might be something like that- you're usually so good about getting stuff up. I'm glad everything's okay.

Did the stranded skaters make it?

Rosaleen

Medalist
Yes, all of the stranded skaters made it here.

Some of them only received their skates barely in time to skate.

Chad Mathieu (West Jr Man) was one of them. Instead of skating in his original start order (10th) he skated last.

I understand the same thing happened to 2 of the Western Novice Women.

I also heard that some skaters ended up driving 19 hours from Montreal to get here for tonight's competition. I think it might have been some Eastern pre-nov dancers.

IceNut

Spectator
Judging from the results, this challenge event has distinct disadvantages for skaters who had to travel furthest from the west. Due to unpredictable weather conditions and time of year, the challenge events must be held in Central Canada, forget about moving the events across the country. They'll only come to the west once in about 10 years anyways, if at all.

cygnus

Rinkside
Judging from the results, this challenge event has distinct disadvantages for skaters who had to travel furthest from the west. Due to unpredictable weather conditions and time of year, the challenge events must be held in Central Canada, forget about moving the events across the country. They'll only come to the west once in about 10 years anyways, if at all.

I agree with you. Either split it into 2 competitions (East and West), which would be preferable, I think). Or hold it in the middle. Mississaugua may not be the prettiest or most interesting spot on earth, but it's near the country's largest airport, accessible from almost anywhere with a minimum of connecting flights, and there are lots of hotels nearby.

dgel

On the Ice
I believe the Challenges should return to separate Eastern and Western events next year; the only reason they've been in the same spot is to iron out the kinks in the CoP system. After three years they should go back to the old rotation. If so, Newfoundland and Labrador should be next for Eastern...

redhotcoach

On the Ice
I believe the Challenges should return to separate Eastern and Western events next year; the only reason they've been in the same spot is to iron out the kinks in the CoP system. After three years they should go back to the old rotation. If so, Newfoundland and Labrador should be next for Eastern...

Last time Nfld & Lab had Jr Nationals --- most everyone got stuck in Halifax.......And when Sydney had Divisionals --- same weather problems.....I've lived in the Atlantic provinces and in the winter there's a saying - if its nice today wait until tomorrow!!

I prefer central Canada because it allows coaches with skaters from both eastern and western challenge - to be with their students. This makes the competition less expensive for the coach and therefore, for the skater who has to pay the coach's way...sharing costs on hotel, meals, and travel etc.

I just got back from Moncton - having had my flight cancelled due to the weather - and since there was no flight available until December 6 or 7 - I took a 20+ hour train ride home. Skaters at our club drove down in freezing rain because their flights into Moncton were cancelled -- 19 hours of driving.....and one skater had Air Canada lose his skates, only to receive them minutes before he was to do his short program.

Too much is at stake for the skaters and parents who pay the expenses ----Imagine investing $15,000 - $20,000 a year for training etc...only to have weather or lost luggage as a result of weather --- destroy your year.

sarah

Spectator
Eastern Novice Men

Skate Canada has all the Eastern Events posted but the Free Skate for Novice Men. Does anyone know why or what the final results were?

Rosaleen

Medalist
I just got back to the hotel after stopping to pick up some dinner. I was at the Eastern Nov Men so I have the results in my report. I'll get it posted in a few minutes

IceNut

Spectator
I believe having both Eastern and Western Challenges at the same time (in central Canada!) means cost savings for Skate Canada. You only organize the events once and fly the judges/officials in once (assuming their expenses are paid by Skate Canada).

I'm all for saving the money so that more of our young skaters can receive increased funding or be sent to international competitions.

redhotcoach

On the Ice
I believe having both Eastern and Western Challenges at the same time (in central Canada!) means cost savings for Skate Canada. You only organize the events once and fly the judges/officials in once (assuming their expenses are paid by Skate Canada).

I'm all for saving the money so that more of our young skaters can receive increased funding or be sent to international competitions.

Absolutely!! IceNut......this is such an expensive sport to begin with. Let Canadians and Jr Nationals rotate around the country as there are far fewer competitors involved. Leave the Challenges together and save money for everyone involved..as well as holding it in a transportation-friendly location.

I like the Challenges together for another reason, too! Where else can you meet coaches, skaters, parents, team leaders etc. from across the country - people that you would not normally meet at competitions? And watch up-and-coming skaters who won't make it this year to nationals - but might next? With the CoP system - fractions of a point are all it takes to lose a spot to Nationals. That makes the events even more exciting to watch and learn from.