4 Beatrisa LIANG USA 50.52 4
5 Arina MARTINOVA RUS 48.58 5
6 Dan FANG CHN 47.78 6
7 Christine ZUKOWSKI USA 44.32 7
8 Chae-Hwa KIM KOR 43.92 8
9 Tugba KARADEMIR TUR 42.70 9
10 Lesley HAWKER CAN 41.00 10
11 Jenna McCORKELL GBR 36.70 11

Can Mao fail to win with that nearly 8 point lead? Are Moa's PCS really worth more than Fumie's? Genuine question since i've seen neither skate this season.

And Poor Jenna is back after injury but seemigly without her powerful jumps.

Ant

flying camel

Medalist
Mao's short is beautiful this year. She is an all - around skater, much better then Fumie. I don't see how she could loose. Poor BeBe looks like she had another fall.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Mao's short is beautiful this year. She is an all - around skater, much better then Fumie. I don't see how she could loose. Poor BeBe looks like she had another fall.

Her short is beautiful. But I think she was leading by 8 points going into the long at SA also, and we all know what happened there.. Hopefully she will deliver a clean long but I would not count Fumie out. JMO

Can Mao fail to win with that nearly 8 point lead?
At Skate America Mao was 10 points ahead of Kimmie Meissner after the short program, but Meissner caught up in the long and finished second to Asada's third (Ando was second in the short and first overall.) So I guess anything can happen.
Are Mao's PCS really worth more than Fumie's? Genuine question since i've seen neither skate this season.
Mao's PCS are almost identical to he scores at Skate America. That was a marvellous skate, so I assume that this one was just as good. Based on that one (Skate America) performance, I would have to say, yes, she deserves the marks.

Mao's lead over Fumie in PCS is really very slight. In most categories she is only one tenth of a point ahead, averaged over the five judges. This would happen, for instance if two of the judges thought Mao was .25 better (the smallest possible increment) and three gave the same scores to both skaters. Mao's biggest lead is in Interpretation. Again, based just on the one performance that I saw at Skate America, I think this is justified.

Wow, for a short program the scores are really stretched out, with gaps of 8 points, 5 points and 6 points separating the top four.

Good for Bebe with a fourth place showing despite a fall.

Unfortunately, Bebe without a fall wouldn't be Bebe.

Arina Martinova coming into her own.

I did see Mao's SP in Skate America and was quite impressed. However, her LP left me with much to be desired. I think Fumie can catch her in the LP but hey, it's slippery out there.

Otherwise, nothing surprising here.

Joe

rain

Record Breaker
Looks like Asada's short program is working well for her this year. That's a pretty substantial lead. We'll have to see if she's improved her LP. Suguri is a pretty consistent skater and I don't yet count her out, but she's got an uphill battle. As predicted, the three Japanese ladies are the class of the field.

I'm not worried about Mao's LP (famous last words, LOL.) In Skate America she missed her two triple Axel attempts and doubled her flip right off the bat, which totally destroyed her program. She lost about 15 points right there. If she hits her tachnical elements tomorrow, the rest should be OK.

enlight78

Medalist
After seeing that Mao scored 40.3 in TEs I worder what her score would be if her PCs was given the same weight as the men. That comes to 29.2*(1.25) + 40.3 = an amazing 76.5 If you do the same for Miki's total at Skate America it is 213.38
She could have won the men's gold at Home Sense Skate Canada.:p

tae04

On the Ice
Yay Mao, she deserves her placement. That is the best SP this year by far.

Her and her coach need to restructure her Long Program. Way too many axel attempts (3), which will hurt her score if she does not triple at least one of the first 2.

melissahlz

Spectator
Yay Mao, she deserves her placement. That is the best SP this year by far.

Her and her coach need to restructure her Long Program. Way too many axel attempts (3), which will hurt her score if she does not triple at least one of the first 2.

I believe I read on another forum (I honestly don’t remember which one as I’ve been reading quite a few this week and my head is now far too full with skating info :laugh:) that Mao plans to replace her second triple axel with a 2A-3T combo. That should help!

I’m really looking forward to seeing her LP this time around since it’s sure to have improved since Skate America.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Are Moa's PCS really worth more than Fumie's? Genuine question since i've seen neither skate this season.
Live, from what I saw of Asada at TEB last year, and what I've seen of Suguri in DC, Dortmund, Moscow, and SC this year, I'd say yes, without a doubt, even if I thought a lot of Asada's Nutcracker choregraphy was grating.

Mighty Mao's SP

Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6EKSDHeb-M

What an exquisite young skater she is! :rock: I think she is so elegantly simple in her presentation. She will be making French perfume commercials soon! Her jumps are high and everything looks effortless. And I love it that she does not oversell herself, or seem to imitate any other skater. Good luck tomorrow, Mao!

You can also find Bebe, Martinova, S/Z and Z/Z on youtube.

OT: Those who haven't seen Mao's commercial skating with her dog really should check it out. (I just happen to have the same kind of cinnamon toy poodle....)

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the link. Mao skate was fantastic. Good luck to her in the L.P
I hope she hits all (or most) of her elements.

Kasey

Medalist
I believe I read on another forum that Mao plans to replace her second triple axel with a 2A-3T combo. That should help!

That's interesting. I don't know if she even did a 3T last season? I thought she deemed that jump "not worthy" in terms of points, so was fixated more on loops.

tae04

On the Ice
Mmm, looking at Fumie's SP. Is it me or does her spins look much improved. I don't remember her layback, flying sit, and combo spin looking so tighter, crisper, and well centered.

Fozzie Bear

On the Ice
Yeah, looks like she's been working on the spins. Trying to get that level up for the layback and the sitspin looks faster.

floskate

On the Ice
Mao did triple toe all through the 2004/05 season when she dominated Juniors. She was doing 3f/3t combo's but she was consistently dinged on the toeloop. Smart CoP strategy to leave it out in 2005/06. The fact that she has seemingly fixed her technique in a matter of months and it's back in the program is nothing short of miraculous IMO. I think we'll see the sal back at some point too, although to be fair she doesn't really need it! It's also the jump she hates the most.