Pairs:
Shen/Zhao
Zhang/Zhang
Petrova/Tikhonov
Baldwin/Inoue
Savchenko/Szolkowy
Marcoux/Buntin

Thoughts:
It's been a long time since the US has had two dance teams and two men in the final. Kimmie Meissner was robbed. She scored more points overall than Sebastyen and Meier and should be in the final.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I agree with your thoughts. Kimmie was robbed and I hope the rule changes for next season.

enlight78

Medalist
I think it is neat that men's field is proportional. Two Americans. Two Japanese. Two French.:p

emma

Record Breaker
I somehow thought Weir would not make it -- I guess Lambiel withdrawing helped him. I have to admit that I was almost hoping that Weir wouldn't make it so that he could just focus completely on getting ready for nationals and beyond ... I must also admit that unless Weir is in top shape and in fighting mode, I think he will have a hard time medaling at this final if the others skate well. I wish him and the others great skates - and I can't wait to see Takahashi's LP!

It's a bit wierd that only in dance will we see the reigning world champions at the GP final even though these world champs are all competing this season. I look forward to both comps - GP finals and worlds!!

dizzydi7

On the Ice
Nope!

Kimmie wasn't robbed. Under the rules currently in place, she didn't qualify. She needed to skate better. She'll have more chances at the Nationals and Worlds.

Dizzy

Predictions anyone?

Going just by the point totals of their best performance, the men ought to go Takahashi (gold), Oda (silver), Joubert (3 quads, but no cigar -- bronze).

Predictions anyone?

Going just by the point totals of their best performance, the men ought to go Takahashi (gold), Oda (silver), Joubert (3 quads, but no cigar -- bronze).
You would like that but the event will be in St. Petersburg. That's quad country and Oda is quadless.

Joe

I was making fun of the idea that you could use the point totals from previous results to predict the finals.

My own opinion is, I don't think anyone has a chance against Joubert, whatever the venue.

Who I like the best: Joubert, Lysacek, Oda. (But the judges don't ask me who I like, LOL.)

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
Nope!

Kimmie wasn't robbed. Under the rules currently in place, she didn't qualify. She needed to skate better.

She skated better than Sebastyen and Meier if you look at the point totals for their performances and yet those girls are at the GPF instead of Kimmie. Sebastyen in particular had a lower score than 3 women who did not make the GPF. You call that fair?

~Z

antmanb

Record Breaker
She skated better than Sebastyen and Meier if you look at the point totals for their performances and yet those girls are at the GPF instead of Kimmie. Sebastyen in particular had a lower score than 3 women who did not make the GPF. You call that fair?

~Z

Applying the rules that are currently in place yes! If you don'tlike the rules gripe about them!

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
By the way is there any word on Alban Preaubert?

He isn't listed in the results for French Nationals - did he not compete? Is he injured? Will he be at the GPF?

Ant

michaela77

Rinkside
I have a feeling that Weir will come away with a medal. Joubert, Oda,Weir or Joubert, Weir, Oda order?

For ladies, Kim, Ando, Asada or Kim, Asada, Ando order?

At least, that's what I'd like to see happen. :biggrin:

I was making fun of the idea that you could use the point totals from previous results to predict the finals.

MM - That's the problem with your posts. They are all about the points and not necessarily in the same competition. One never know when you're joking or not.:yes:

Why don't you correalate the points with the venue and the skater and see what is behind the differences. Were the points higher at SA than in NHK?. that sort of thing. Will they be lower as we go on to Worlds. :unsure:

Joe

Applying the rules that are currently in place yes! If you don't like the rules gripe about them!
Well, I think Zuranthium was griping about the rules, LOL.

Personally, I like the rules. Win or go home. Just like a real sporting event.

Complaining about how tough the competition was, that's what losers do.

Last edited:

enlight78

Medalist
In Track and Field they take the best time. So wouldn't it still be like a real sport if they take the best score.

antmanb

Record Breaker
In Track and Field they take the best time. So wouldn't it still be like a real sport if they take the best score.

In track and field they use a clock to measure time...even the ISU judges could just about manage that but snice figure skating scores are given out by a different panel of judges (some of whose marks the computer throws out) then you can't really compare the scores of one judging panel with that of another competition.

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
Well, I think Zuranthium was griping about the rules, LOL.

Personally, I like the rules. Win or go home. Just like a real sporting event.

Complaining about how tough the competition was, that's what losers do.

:laugh: Oops - so they were! I thought i was getting hostile vibes for sarah meier and i got on the defensive since i love her skating and really loved her last season.

Ant

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
I want Brian Joubert to win the mens title, b/c his SP and LP are best out of all of the men competing this season.

I am not an expert in this sport, but I thought it went like this. You have several heats, and the winner of each heat automatically advances to the semi-finals. Then, if there are some places left over, they go to the second and third place finishers who had the best times. Isn't that it?

Does anyone know how they seed the finals in speed skating?

By the way, are there any speed skating message boards?

Why don't you correlate the points with the venue and the skater and see what is behind the differences. Were the points higher at SA than in NHK?. That sort of thing. Will they be lower as we go on to Worlds. :unsure:
Actually, I did try to look at that, but I was not able to come up with any statistics worth noting.

The problem is that if one event has higher overall scores than another, I can't tell whether the judges were more generous or the skating was just better.

It would also be interesting to track tendencies of individual judges, or of all the judges from a particular country or bloc of countries. But the secret judging makes this impossible.