Skaters qualifying for the Final | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Skaters qualifying for the Final

enlight78

Medalist
Mathman. Thanks for the info and link. Even though I disagree with the GP rules, I have to give kudos to Julia. She'll bag 500 points for just showing up. I can't wait to see what the rankings will look like at the end of the season.

Last edited:
Mathman - For the individual GPs, does that mean that Kimmie at least made some money?
Yes, Kimmie earned $18,000 for her second place at Skate America and $13,000 for third in Paris.

Julia S. has already made $43,000 and she will make an extra $3000 in St. Petersburg even if she finishes last.

Hi, Hsuhs, welcome to the forum.

Yeah, not bad for a 17 year old.

Still, the world champions in other sports are raking in tens of millions of dollars for their efforts.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
The rules on "world rankings" are totally trivial and pointless.
The point of skating world rankings is not to determine who is the best skater; it is to determine who is doing the most for the ISU. In that regard, they really do have a point. My only problem with the ranking algorythm is that IMHO it gives too much weight to junior events resulting in skaters quickly dropping in rank when switching to seniors.

Last edited:
No, I don't think so. I think Ptichka's got it right. The point system is designed to push skaters into doing all of the ISU sanctioned events. That's why, for instance, the increments for first, second, third, etc., at major events are so small.

You might think it's ridiculous on it's face that someone could finish, let's say eighth at Worlds, fourth at Four Continents, second at Finlandia trophy and third at the Ondrej Nepali Memorial and end up with more points than the Olympic or World Champion.

But from Speedy's point of view, the point system was successful because it induced that skater do Four Continents, Finlandia and Nepali.