Marketing, Broadcasting and over all appearance / appeal of Figure Skating in the future. "Look and Feel"
Let's hear it. All of it. They are obviously looking and now is going to be a good time to be heard. And everyone knows, most of you here can "word" it better than I can .
I think with the right amount of "well thought" and "constructive" suggestions, people like those here on GS CAN make a difference. GS has more rationality and common sense than any forum about any sports IMO (limited assessment of Seanibu) and instead of snaking, snideness and bickering, there are great comments made here. And I truly believe this is "one of them" that is read on at least occasion of the "powers that be."
Do you have a suggestion for a change OR even for it to stay the same?
If it starts catering to "Boys" and putting in "pop rock" music and focusing more on the "sexy" and "athletic" appeal of FS are you going to stop watching? Or watch more? Will it make a difference to you as an already fan?
I would like to see (but whatever Seani) lists that could be submitted as suggestions - that type of thing. Like..
1. Realtime scoreboard on screen.
2. Program requirements in music tempo (say a list of choices) for the SP. Fast beat, popular music, lyrics or not! If lyrics are a factor in influencing judging then the judge should be disqualified. SP also has No costumes. Just what would be worn in a practice or submitted as the SP uniform for all skaters from that country or club. Of course a woman and man difference.
3. LP. A "clown costume" is a "clown costume," no matter if you are trying to look like a "tough Bozo" you still are dressing like a Bozo. No Animal, Floral, or florescent colors!!!!! Pre submitted (as are now) for approval and having a country skating for "mark" and no other words, names or numbers. Like 007 across the back of a sport coat. that is just "kiddy stuff." Same music guidelines.
4. If a commentator makes a comment during a routine, it had best be about the routine and brief, no more Opra comments.
5. Rename the Kiss and Cry, something along the lines of "score reception bench."
6. "Agony of defeat" clips added to advertising and intros. In any promo do NOT show spiral sq.s or guys acting like Richard Simmons on ice.
7. More "hard core focus" on sports factors and run downs instead of fluff and "little girls have big dreams too." - yep, I would miss it but not that much really
8. NEVER cut off a figure skaters blade with the camera or ANYTHING put on screen. Compensate / coordinate with crew not to have this happen even unintentionally. If they are going to put a "ticker up" then they need to zoom out a little to compensate. Zooming during motion should only be to the blades and VERY limited in doing so.
It is not that I don't like it now, and I would like it the same or changed, but I don't like it not being popular enough that there are funding issues and such little air time. Heck, I like Disney on Ice, but there are not to many of my type to keep the revenue and fans growing with what is has been doing. Promos are getting better IMO, but everything else - same old fluff and bunnies - even though I like them.
I never hear old guys saying "I don't watch football anymore because the music has changed into this young whipper snapper stuff with Puff Dog and Screaming Meemees." And why cater to the crowds that don't go for physical reasons ( I know from Mom that it just hurts to much to ascend and descend those stairs), when they do they get the discount price (as they should but...) or their grand kids are over to the house that night???