Berezhnaya engaged to Steven Cousins? | Golden Skate

Berezhnaya engaged to Steven Cousins?

Teresa Dawn

On the Ice
I hadn't heard that Steven had split up from his wife Kristina Lenko (Danny Moir's former partner) lol but I guess so if he's gonna marry Elena Berezhnaya. Anyways, I think Lena and Steven are a great couple so congrats to them.

http://www.metro-russia.com/news/rubrics/metro_sport/stiven_moj_chelovek/ (Russian article so translation below)

Olympic Champion Elena Berezhnaya is going to get married. Lena has never told about her fiance until now. She has only hinted: "It seems to me, that I have met the person whom I am ready to connect my life with, and to create a family with. I will not say his name yet, it's too early … "

Today though she has unexpectedly released this secret. We talked to Lena about her project on the First channel "Stars on Ice" where Berezhnaya danced with actor Alexander Nosik. And then we touched the topic about future projects.
"Maybe, I'll get married soon" - she said (And her face was shining).

And then Lena told us about her fiance. It's Englishman, Steven Cousins. He is 34 years old, he is an eight-time Great Britain champion in figure skating. Lena and Steven have known each other for many years, they met each other at different competitions and shows. But for a long time they were just friends. And then something began to happen.

"Steven took the initiative, and I just have drifted with the current" - she said (she smiles again)

Journalist (J): And did you fall in love with him?
Lena (L): Falling in love - this feeling is not for me, it's kind of shady... I simply understood very well: Yes, this is the man I would like to spend many, many years with! Steven is very good man!

J: Did he propose to you?
L: He doesn't need to officially propose, I don't need this! If it's needed, I can propose!

J: Lena, what language do you use while talking to each other?
L: I know English quite well, so we can talk about everything. Though sometimes there are not enough words... But Steven is learning Russian now. He wants to understand my world better, to understand what are we talking about in my country, he wants to communicate with my relatives and friends.

J: Has he met your mother already?
L: Not yet, but they call each other. Steven dials the number and shouts into the receiver (in Russian): "Hey, mom! How are you?" My mom likes to talk to him very much, and I think that they will meet each other soon.

J: You probaby do not get to see him often?
L: Unfortunately, yes. We communicate more on the phone or send each other many, many messages. Or we write each other by e-mail. But he'll come to see me soon.

J: When are you going to get married?
L: I don't know yet. I think, we'll skate one more season, and then get married. While want to make some money first while people need us for shows. Later we won't be able to skate, at least, not me: family, kids, Pampers...

J: Where are you going to live? Are you going to move to England for keeps?
L: Not for keeps. We will live everywhere. We'll have several houses. It's much more interesting - the atmosphere will always change.

J: Lena, do you want your kids to repeat your destiny and become figure skaters?
L: I don't know. It's not very difficult to teach the kid how to skate. But will they be figure skaters? Time will show - will they want it? Will they have the talent? I will not insist - let them do what they want. I know for sure that I will not make anyone to do something. Maybe, because of my soft character I would never be able to become a coach. I will not be able to force somebody, to scream at somebody. I maybe would tell to my students: "You don't like this? Ok, then go home, read a book" But if Steven and I have a boy, he will play soccer for sure. Because Steven likes this sport very much and plays it very good, too.

J: What did Steven give you for your birthday?
L: His gift hasn't got here yet. But I asked him to get me a real uniform of his favorite soccer team "Liverpool". It should be my size, of course. So in the summer I will sport a company liverpool uniform.

J: And what did Anton Sikharulidze present to you as a Birthday gift?
L: I wanted Anton to present me with a phone, so he did. We've been together so many years and we know each other so well that we don't surprise each other with the gifts, we just tell each other what we want as a gift! Anton wanted me to give him a watch for his birthday so I did.

J: Are you preparing to do any shows now?
L: Yes, we are. We'll skate at different shows soon. Right now we are training. But everybody Anton and I train alone. We are not able to meet and train together. We meet each other only during the shows. And when every of us will make his own private life, we will see each other even more rarely. The new life starts for me and Anton.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
hadn't heard anything about Steven and Yelena... I thought he was still married... hmmm off his fan site lol

Teresa Dawn

On the Ice
Well someone else told me that Steven and Kristina split up in the summer when I asked about it, I just hadn't heard about the split is all lol.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Thanks for posting TD. :)
Yes, during the Aussie run of DOI Kristina told an interviewer: "I'm single". She'll be over again for the UK DOI 2 starting in January, and the UK Tour of the show with T&D. She's a charming attractive lady, so I don't imagine she'll be single for long. ;) [Equally pretty in real life, as I ran into her on a bus in London last Winter during the first DOI series].

BTW someone should tell the Russians that Steven is Welsh, from Deeside, North Wales. It's like saying Lena is Ukrainian.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Also in splitsville: Shae Lynn Bourne and Nikolai Morozov, Elena Grushina and Ruslan Goncharov.

heyang

Record Breaker
Weren't Shae Lynn & Nikolai only married less than 2 years ago.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Does anyone know anything about the reliability of this publication? (One poster on FSU said that one of the side stories on this article said that soccer player Beckham was moving to St. Petersburg -- I don't know if this says something about the poster or the original publication)

Teresa Dawn

On the Ice
Yeh Nikolai is with Grushina now and they are expecting a child so definately Shae/Nikolai and Grushina/Goncharov are split. I know nothing about Beckham, sorry

Last edited:

Fernan

Rinkside
Yeh Nikolai is with Grushina now and they are expecting a child so definately Shae/Nikolai and Grushina/Goncharov are split. I know nothing about Beckham, sorry

Wow. Ice dancers certainly don't know when to leave the drama ON the ice.

It is definitely the most in-bred of all the disciplines (everyone has been married, it seems, to one another!).

Jhar55

Medalist
If you take out the part these are all skaters they are just like many couples, some make it and some don't. Their personal lives are just that personal. Who are we to judge how long they are married who they live with or date. Outside of skating they are just regular normal everyday people. Life is to short you have to make yourself happy and not worry what others think.

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
What an eye opener this thread is. :eek:

Beckham will not go to St.Peterburg, he's more likely to end up in America, if the MLS can attract him, or to stay at Real, I doubt he'll even come back to England. ;)

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
If the rumors about Bourne and Morozov are true. It certainly isn't sacred to him..

Well, Shae knew he was a married man with a child when she first took up with him.

If you take out the part these are all skaters they are just like many couples, some make it and some don't. Their personal lives are just that personal. Who are we to judge how long they are married who they live with or date. Outside of skating they are just regular normal everyday people. Life is to short you have to make yourself happy and not worry what others think.

True, except in the case of sport, and skating, being a role model is often cited as part of an athlete's responsibilities, especially to the young who follow the sport, and what sponsors are looking for.

People do pass moral judgements though - quite publicly. I remember the condemnatory letters in IFS Mag because Katya & Ilya had had a child out of wedlock. In Europe no-one would bat an eyelid at that, and would've just celebrated Katya finding happiness again, but the tone of the published letters was definitely "what kind of role model is this?".