Cohen "News" | Golden Skate

Cohen "News"

nymkfan51

Medalist
Well, GBA was what she did on tour this past year (it has vocals), so I'm assuming she will have something else if she decides to compete at Nationals.

I figure we should get a fairly good idea if she's in shape for Nats when we see her on Sunday.

I'm excited about her choice of WSS. It is wonderful music and she will look great in it. I have to admit I am "seeing" her in the Jerome Robbins choreography which is not very likely to happen. But I'm sure she'll be fantastic!

Fossi

Final Flight
Figures she is repeating a program. Why does she always do this? Can't she come up with something new and creative for a SP? At least it's not Dark Eyes though (zzzzzzzzzzzz). I hope her new LP is good though. We need something new from Cohen

An LP and an SP!!

If there are no vocals, this could be a Nationals test. Since the 'show' is tinged with competition, I think at least there will be something of interest to see at this cheesefest. We saw the others at Campbells. Will it be enough to put us in prediction mode without Rachel Flatt?

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
This brings up questions as to the format of this "competition", though. Is there an SP and an FS performed? Why would she prepare an SP exclusively to GBA? (I imagine it wouldn't fly for a serious competitive program.)

Anyone know the format of this thing (whether you skate an SP/FS or just exhibition pieces)?

R.D.

Record Breaker
I've seen that already and it still doesn't answer my question as to what the skaters will actually be performing. However, looking back at it, it looks like the same exact thing is happening- Kurt will do his thing "on the ice", and then we have that "panel of judges" of Dick, Peggy and Peter again. What could they possibly say differently this time? Do we really need them? How about getting some non-skaters in there to "refresh" things a bit? Or just eliminate it.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I really liked Alyssa in the last phone-in. Too bad she fell. I probably would have picked her if she hadn't fallen.

This time, I don't know. I don't find Kimmie an inspiring show skater AT ALL, and Emily has the "pizazz" but not the whole package. Cohen can either be really on (think DROMP last time) or really zzzzzzzz (think R&J or just about any FS she's done).

ETA: I doubt this is "nationals preparation". I think these are just show programs. Note that she doesn't state anywhere that WSS is a freeskate. I think that folks that might be reading this and getting their hopes up that she'll appear at nationals are going to be disappointed.

Last edited:
I have a feeling that Sasha's "short program" to God Bless America will be a lot like her COI exhibition number to the same music.

I hope Katy Taylor has solved her new boot problems and will be in competitive shape.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think you can forget about Sasha at Nationals. She sure isn't going to Nationals with "God Bless America" as a SP. Her journal made it plain that her two programs were choreographed for MARSHALL'S. It's one thing to have new/semi-new exhibition programs, but I am sure that the West Side Story program she's preparing for Marshall's is not a 7-triple extravaganza.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Plus, it's not going to be judged under Cop so why go all out?
shrug.gif
Unless she was SERIOUS about nats that would be a waste. But then even the injured Kwan at least attempted a few jumps last year. I don't think we'll see Cohen jumping more than twice in either program if she does jump at all.

A fully-trained, well-prepared, healthy Cohen could be a good thing for this Nats competition which would otherwise only have Meissner as a top competitor. However, Cohen in any other condition would be more of an embarrassment and in that case she'd better stay at home- look what happened at Worlds this past year. In any case I think Meissner has the fire and determination and will win the competition regardless of whether or not Cohen can find her way to the arena.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Meissner has had a relatively dissapointing Grand Prix season. I wouldnt send the panic buttons, and feel too concerned if I were a fan, but all the same she is challengable right now. She had a reasonably good showing at Skate America, but then a very dissapointing second event. I think she would be vurnerable to a fully trained Cohen right now. Cohen would still whip her on PCS scores I would predict, and if Meissner did not hit all her jumps Cohen could come close to her on TES scores even without a clean performance of her own(which she rarely does even fully trained)as well. Of course Cohen wont show up at Nationals at all probably, let alone fully trained and ready so it is a moot point.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Wylie speculates that Kimmie is a late season bloomer.

She might be but she wasnt exactly stunning at Nationals last year either, although she was quite good. Of course there were nowhere near the expectations of now, it was a totally different perspective facing so hard to compare.

LizzieBeth

Rinkside
I just looked at the format again - kinda weird. Since it is mostly a popularity contest, I expect that Sasha and Evan would make the second round for the West, but the East is a little harder to predict. Will Tanith & Ben be able to bump Kimmie or Johnny?

I just looked at the format again - kinda weird. Since it is mostly a popularity contest, I expect that Sasha and Evan would make the second round for the West, but the East is a little harder to predict. Will Tanith & Ben be able to bump Kimmie or Johnny?

Interesting thoughts, Liz - I think they need B&A to make it a more diverse and colorful show so I believe, too, B&A are a given to satisfy the sponsor.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Wylie speculates that Kimmie is a late season bloomer.

I think Kimmie is a "late bloomer" too but remember Kimmie also had a fall at Nats last year (although other than that it was pretty good) and was off at the Olympics. So she may do better than she's doing now but I really can't expect her to duplicate her worlds performance again. I think that really was the skate of her life. It came early, but then you have it. Also too soon to tell whether she's another MK/IS (with multiple "skates of a lifetime").