Kristi's last skate? | Golden Skate

Kristi's last skate?

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The Kristi Yamaguchi's Friends & Family show takes place this Sunday December 10th. This article about Kristi says at the end...

“Kristi Yamaguchi Friends and Family” will be her only appearance this year. It may also mark the end of her performing career, she said.

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/16187924.htm

Waaah! Say it ain't so Kristi! :cry: :cry: :cry:

She's also scheduled to appear on the Today show this Friday December 15th.

This die-hard Kristi fan is in denial. I was always hoping she'd be like the Protopopovs and skate into her seventies!

heyang

Record Breaker
I'll pin my hopes on the 'may' in that sentence. Sounds like speculation to me - it wasn't a quote from her.

As for the show, all I can say is 'Ugh' to live music. Nothing against Amy Grant, but it just means that we'll be watching her sing and not know what's happening on ice.

I've always enjoyed Kristi's shows and it's been fun seeing all the tots, even if it's just in the audience.

mememe

On the Ice
This die-hard Kristi fan is in denial. I was always hoping she'd be like the Protopopovs and skate into her seventies!

I, too, hope(d) she would continue skating for a long, long time! There's nobody quite like Kristi. I can understand her feelings and would understand if she decides that she just doesn't have the time to train enough to skate as well as she demands of herself, but if this truly is her final performance, I will miss, miss, miss her. There has been a big hole in ladies skating the past year or so since she's not been skating much, and it will be bigger if she does completely retire.

Thanks for the memories, Kristi (and hope to have the chance to create a few more before you're actually finished!).

This isn't Kristi's last bow! She will be like Peggy Fleming, who skated an awesome exhibition program at age 48. Dorothy Hamill isn't through yet, either. :rock:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think the key word here is "may". as in, this COULD be it, not that this IS it. If I was a Kristi fan I wouldn't despair (too much).

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
As for the show, all I can say is 'Ugh' to live music. Nothing against Amy Grant, but it just means that we'll be watching her sing and not know what's happening on ice.
Basically I totally agree with you, because it is highly annoying not to be able to watch all of a skating programme. On the other hand as I´m unable to see live events, I definetely prefer this kind of TV-show compared for not being able to watch the skating of my favourite performers at all...

Fortunately there will also be in Kristi show skaters that have other than live music. I just read at

http://p198.ezboard.com/fkulikskrewonlinefrm8.showMessage?topicID=801.topic

that Ilia Kulik will be skating to "Too Darn Hot" and "Go the Distance". I don´t know about the second number as I have not seen it yet, but "Too Darn Hot" is a great number (has not been seen on US TV so far). These both numbers are those that Ilia will be performing on SOI tour as guest star in 20 different cities.

I sure hope that Kristi will reconsider and will continue to skate at least a couple years more.

Last edited:

Jhar55

Medalist
After all she does have 2 young children and just maybe she wants to be home with them. And hockey is not on strike so they need that extra income :rofl:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it's not like she hasn't been staying out of the spotlight anyway... but I so very much miss her... I never realize how much until Ice Wars rolls around and we're stuck with Oksana Baiul lol though the US ladies this year rocked...

but it would be so very nice to see a former Olympic Champ skate the way she's supposed to, like Kristi always did...

but I wouldn't say she's down and out, a lot of her peers have been quoted as saying that so many times and yet their back year after year lol