After Marshall's, What impressions do you have of Sasha Cohen?? | Golden Skate

After Marshall's, What impressions do you have of Sasha Cohen??

Please wait until you see the competition or the show if you prefer.

Given Kimmie will continue working hard, will Sasha go into Nats with the same technical (which is not bad) that she's been using for the past 3 years?

Will the flexibility continue to influence her skating to win over others who have 3x3s?

Given she podiums at US Nats and goes to Worlds. Will the Asian onslaught blow her out of international contention?

BIGGEST QUESTION OF ALL​

In your honest opinion does she look like she cares and wants to be a champion?

Joe

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought WSS was a great choice for her. I loved it!! It appeared to me that she was enjoying herself. It also seemed like she was in good shape. I hope she'll go to Nationals.

Dee

nymkfan51

Medalist
Watching her skate to WSS makes me even more convinced that show skating is what she should do. IMO, no way is she going to Nats. One double-footed 3S?
I don't think so.
And I think she has no interest in it right now anyway. Sasha's gone show-biz and seems to be lovin it

amr927

Rinkside
IMO, there's almost no way she could be competitive in time for Nats. She looked slow and tentative, even in her normally-beautiful spins, and even her 3S wasn't really there for her. The fire just doesn't look like it's there. I think she likes the attention she gets for her skating, but has little to no interest in returning to the competitive arena. JMO after watching her today.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Jumps weren't impressive but she is still the single most interesting female skater to watch. I would imagine that without her at Nationals, the ratings would be dismal.

cianni

On the Ice
amr927

Couldnt agree more. I dont think Sasha will ever be competitive again due to the change in the sport. She will not have 3/3s or 3axel and by 2010 that will be the deciding factor. Sasha is a show skater and does well in that arena. She loves attention and acting or show skating is where she will get her need met. Loved Johnny also.

R.D.

Record Breaker
One thing is clear and that's that she's a very good performer and will do well in the shows.

Fossi

Final Flight
My opinion of Cohen? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Same programs, different music. zzzzzzzzzzzz.

euterpe

Medalist
It was a foregone conclusion that Sasha would win the 'competition' because she has more fans than the others, but IMHO, Johnny Weir skated the best in this cheesefest, and Kimmie was the next best.

Sasha's WSS was lifeless, skated at such a slow pace that it was at odds with the music, and she double-footed the salchow, which was only a double. "God Bless America" was slightly better, and should have been, considering that it was the same exact number she did all summer in COI.

But Sasha is in NO WAY in shape enough to do Nationals, and she darned well knows it. She's not going.

R.D.

Record Breaker
If I may "hijack" the thread for a second, Kimmie really seemed as if she was trying to get comfortable out there. I think that was a true Nationals test- she did more jumps than Hughes or Cohen (maybe even both of them combined :eek: ). She did fall once at the end of the 2nd performance but her competitiveness is unmistakable. She's going to win the Nats next year. :yes:

mskater93

Record Breaker
Sasha was very S-L-O-W! The skating, the spins, not competitive at all. The jumps had zero spring. Thought I was watching Lipinski jumping there! :rofl:

She skated as if she were just there to collect her paycheck. Bleh!

euterpe

Medalist
If I may "hijack" the thread for a second, Kimmie really seemed as if she was trying to get comfortable out there. I think that was a true Nationals test- she did more jumps than Hughes or Cohen (maybe even both of them combined :eek: ). She did fall once at the end of the 2nd performance but her competitiveness is unmistakable. She's going to win the Nats next year. :yes:

And Kimmie had to skate her programs back-to-back, with a quick costume change in between. That fall was perfectly excusable under the circumstances.

R.D.

Record Breaker
BACK TO COHEN

Hello...Is this a major competition or a show? I thought she did OK given it was just a phone-in "cheesefest". Not someone who I think is planning to go to Nationals or Worlds, but by show standards I thought both were pretty good. I think people were watching looking to see if she was going all out and thus were disappointed. She did about what I expected her to do, and that's fine by me.

dizzydi7

On the Ice
Marshall's

I don't think it's hard to predict that Kimmie will win Nationals. She only needs to beat Emily Hughes.

However..........if Kimmie does not improve consistency with her jumps and do something to improve her general presentation in her programs, she is going to have a real problem trying to beat Miki, Mao or Ya-Na and maybe others. I will agree that Kimmie is a great skater but she does not feel the music, she is not graceful, and to me, she looked like she was really struggling at Marshalls. Right now, Kimmie is a good competitor but not a good performer.

Dizzy

Some of the Sasha-bashers are going to be very surprised when Sasha goes to Nationals and does well.

I thought she looked great. She beat Johnny's competition SP in the eyes of both the judges and the public... including judges who are not loathe to criticize her. The WSS... well - it was underwhelming and I hated, hated the arrangement - it sounded like the Chipmunks! If I'd had to choose between her and Johnny's "My Way" Johnny would have gotten my vote. And Uncle Dick's comparison to Bree was so right.

But hey, it was her first time out with it. She seems to work her way into programs slowly. She was gorgeous in GBA and kudos to her for throwing in the jumps in both numbers, which she often omits in exhibitions.

Why is it a disaster when Sasha falls but hurray for Kimmie when she does it? There is a double standard here. I thought Kimmie was wooden.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well said Spun Silver, especially about poor Kimmie falling.

Dee

R.D.

Record Breaker
I don't think it's hard to predict that Kimmie will win Nationals. She only needs to beat Emily Hughes.

However..........if Kimmie does not improve consistency with her jumps and do something to improve her general presentation in her programs, she is going to have a real problem trying to beat Miki, Mao or Ya-Na and maybe others. I will agree that Kimmie is a great skater but she does not feel the music, she is not graceful, and to me, she looked like she was really struggling at Marshalls. Right now, Kimmie is a good competitor but not a good performer.

Dizzy

Yes. And ITA with the last part- Kimmie is the opposite of Sasha- a great competitive skater but a seriously zzzzz performer- no diss intended as Kimmie is still a really great skater/person. Even Emily I enjoyed more than Meissner- but I still voted for Kimmie (in the eastern round) because of her greater technical difficulty.

Some of the Sasha-bashers are going to be very surprised when Sasha goes to Nationals and does well.

No one is bashing Cohen here. I think people are just disappointed given that this was supposedly a Nationals test and she showed up with basically COI-type numbers.

And what do you mean WHEN? Do you know something we don't, or are you talking about 2008?

Why is it a disaster when Sasha falls but hurray for Kimmie when she does it? There is a double standard here. I thought Kimmie was wooden.

Cohen didn't fall here. And no one is "wooden"- not even the seemingly unbeatable Mao Asada.

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
So far I have seen only the Sasha WSS clip, and I was veeeery impessed indeed. What a great choreography to the music and she performed her programme with joy and feeling, and what a dancer she is, WOW. I also think that her jumps looked good.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I thought it was kinda lame that she was even at the event b/c she's basically half retired? JMHO

:laugh: the USFS made her go to bump up ratings :rofl:

It's even funnier that Cohen claims she's undecided. Why not just say she's not going? Some other poster brought up a good point and that the USFS may want her to stay publically "undecided" even though she's already not going so that ticket sales and tv ratings would not be impacted. It's all about them and not about us.

I think Marshall's left that pretty clear, though, in addition to that article. Only some disillusioned fan or someone with LOTS of wishful thinking would think she would actually stumble her way into that Spokane arena.