Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Davis and White

Davis and White

Is anyone else excited about Meryl Davis and Charlie White? I think they're pretty amazing. Belbin and Agosto better watch out!

Davis and White rock. I have seen them live quite a few times in local events. Charlie was a promising singles skater, too, as a youngster, but I guess he's committed to dance now.

I think they are both freshmen at the University of Michigan this year. They have the same coach (Shpilband) as Belbin and Agosto, so I don't know how that will work out if they become the #2 team in the country and go up against their training partners for top honors. (Gregory and Petukov will have something to say about that, LOL.)

it'd be really neat if G/P and D/W are one and two and B/A drop to 3rd... and I'm a fan of Tanith and Ben... but it'd still be neat lol (and well deserved if the GP is any indication lol

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    I thought they were fantastic. I like them better than Tanith and Ben - way better.
    Already!

Only seen them this season for the first time, but already my fave American Dance couple. Go Meryl & Charlie!

Banned
    Meryl & Charlie is really greate! I think, they can bit Gregory-Petuhov, but in dance its couldnt happened. But number one in Shpilbandt camp - Virtue-Moir! But Igor love all his teams - thats good for them

I was very impressed with them, especially at how closely they skate together. Keep that up & continue to skate cleanly & they will move up the ranks (both nationally & internationally) very rapidly.

Custom Title
    They were wonderful! I am really excited to see how far they can go. I've seen him skate singles at several competitions over the years and remember when he was a little skinny kid that wore glasses on the ice. Now he's grown up and looks so handsome ... and they are just a thrilling team. I agree ... look out Tanith and Ben!

Medalist
    I was very impressed with them at NHK Trophy. Remember the days when USA was lucky to have one decent ice dance team? Now, so many.

With all the problems with COP, I think it has greatly helped ice dancing. Lifts, footwork, twizzles (why can't we call them something less ridiculous, maybe chaines, as in ballet) are so amazing, and most programs are dramatic--the music isn't just an afterthought. And best of all, anybody can win. It was not so long ago that the top 3 teams were set in stone for the year, and placements rarely changed from competition to competition.

I was starting to get a little bored with figure skating this season, then along came Cup of Russia and NHK Trophy, and I'm excited again. Joubert's triple-quad performance at Cup of Russia was astounding. The German pairs team is so innovative (they remind me a bit of Tai and Randy with their similarity in height). And Johnny's short program is looking so much better. Fun, fun, fun.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    twizzles (why can't we call them something less ridiculous, maybe chaines, as in ballet)
    Well, they're different from chaines, i.e., multiple traveling turns on one foot, and it is possible to do ballet-style chaines on the toe picks, so that might get confusing.

Of course ice dance chasses are totally different from ballet chasses too, so there is precedence.

most programs are dramatic--the music isn't just an afterthought.
    Music can be an afterthought in dramatic programs, or an integral part of lighthearted programs.

And best of all, anybody can win. It was not so long ago that the top 3 teams were set in stone for the year, and placements rarely changed from competition to competition.
    Yes, it's definitely more about what happens that day, in the collective opinion of that panel of judges, than in the past.

Sexy, smart and sterilized! childfreegirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    it'd be really neat if G/P and D/W are one and two and B/A drop to 3rd... and I'm a fan of Tanith and Ben... but it'd still be neat lol (and well deserved if the GP is any indication lol
    I completely agree. I loved them at Nationals in January.

Quote Originally Posted by npa View Post
    But number one in Shpilbandt camp - Virtue-Moir!
    That is so true. I forgot about them. Virtue and Moir are poised to be the next big North American team, IMHO.

Matt Savoie~Soul Skater CzarinaAnya's Avatar
    I thought they were a russian pair when I first saw them. They really wowed me. I couldn't believe they were so young to look so seasoned. Even my mother, who likes skating, but not that into Ice Dance was paying attention.

BTW, He looks like Chris O'Donnell when he played D'Artagnan.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    That is so true. I forgot about them. Virtue and Moir are poised to be the next big North American team, IMHO.
    But D/W have overtaken M/Z, so V/M may be their next target. V/M beat D/W at Skate Canada (no surprise there!), but D/W at NHK outscored V/M at TEB by a huge margin.

Shpilband will push whichever team he thinks will achieve the most in the quickest time. If that turns out to be D/W, then V/M will have to take a backseat.

Right now, of Shpilband's teams, B/A are the odd team out. I think it would be in their best interest to change coaching ASAP. That sure boosted Denkova/Staviiski and Gregory/Petukhov this year, and could help B/A to their first World Championship next year. If they stay with Shpilband, they will spin wheels, I am afraid.

I agree, once you're no longer your coaches poster children it's time to move on..

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast