Davis and White | Golden Skate

Davis and White

dutchherder

Final Flight
Is anyone else excited about Meryl Davis and Charlie White? :love: I think they're pretty amazing. Belbin and Agosto better watch out!

Davis and White rock. I have seen them live quite a few times in local events. Charlie was a promising singles skater, too, as a youngster, but I guess he's committed to dance now.

I think they are both freshmen at the University of Michigan this year. They have the same coach (Shpilband) as Belbin and Agosto, so I don't know how that will work out if they become the #2 team in the country and go up against their training partners for top honors. (Gregory and Petukov will have something to say about that, LOL.)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it'd be really neat if G/P and D/W are one and two and B/A drop to 3rd... and I'm a fan of Tanith and Ben... but it'd still be neat lol (and well deserved if the GP is any indication lol

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Only seen them this season for the first time, but already my fave American Dance couple. Go Meryl & Charlie! :agree:

npa

Match Penalty
Meryl & Charlie is really greate! I think, they can bit Gregory-Petuhov, but in dance its couldnt happened. But number one in Shpilbandt camp - Virtue-Moir! But Igor love all his teams - thats good for them

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I was very impressed with them, especially at how closely they skate together. Keep that up & continue to skate cleanly & they will move up the ranks (both nationally & internationally) very rapidly.

waxel

Final Flight
They were wonderful! I am really excited to see how far they can go. I've seen him skate singles at several competitions over the years and remember when he was a little skinny kid that wore glasses on the ice. Now he's grown up and looks so handsome ... and they are just a thrilling team. I agree ... look out Tanith and Ben!

Penny

On the Ice
I was very impressed with them at NHK Trophy. Remember the days when USA was lucky to have one decent ice dance team? Now, so many.

With all the problems with COP, I think it has greatly helped ice dancing. Lifts, footwork, twizzles (why can't we call them something less ridiculous, maybe chaines, as in ballet) are so amazing, and most programs are dramatic--the music isn't just an afterthought. And best of all, anybody can win. It was not so long ago that the top 3 teams were set in stone for the year, and placements rarely changed from competition to competition.

I was starting to get a little bored with figure skating this season, then along came Cup of Russia and NHK Trophy, and I'm excited again. Joubert's triple-quad performance at Cup of Russia was astounding. The German pairs team is so innovative (they remind me a bit of Tai and Randy with their similarity in height). And Johnny's short program is looking so much better. :) :) Fun, fun, fun.

gkelly

Record Breaker
twizzles (why can't we call them something less ridiculous, maybe chaines, as in ballet)

Well, they're different from chaines, i.e., multiple traveling turns on one foot, and it is possible to do ballet-style chaines on the toe picks, so that might get confusing.

Of course ice dance chasses are totally different from ballet chasses too, so there is precedence.

most programs are dramatic--the music isn't just an afterthought.

Music can be an afterthought in dramatic programs, or an integral part of lighthearted programs.

And best of all, anybody can win. It was not so long ago that the top 3 teams were set in stone for the year, and placements rarely changed from competition to competition.

Yes, it's definitely more about what happens that day, in the collective opinion of that panel of judges, than in the past.

childfreegirl

Final Flight
it'd be really neat if G/P and D/W are one and two and B/A drop to 3rd... and I'm a fan of Tanith and Ben... but it'd still be neat lol (and well deserved if the GP is any indication lol

I completely agree. I loved them at Nationals in January.:)

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I thought they were a russian pair when I first saw them. They really wowed me. I couldn't believe they were so young to look so seasoned. Even my mother, who likes skating, but not that into Ice Dance was paying attention. :)

BTW, He looks like Chris O'Donnell when he played D'Artagnan. :p

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That is so true. I forgot about them. Virtue and Moir are poised to be the next big North American team, IMHO.

But D/W have overtaken M/Z, so V/M may be their next target. V/M beat D/W at Skate Canada (no surprise there!), but D/W at NHK outscored V/M at TEB by a huge margin.

Shpilband will push whichever team he thinks will achieve the most in the quickest time. If that turns out to be D/W, then V/M will have to take a backseat.

Right now, of Shpilband's teams, B/A are the odd team out. I think it would be in their best interest to change coaching ASAP. That sure boosted Denkova/Staviiski and Gregory/Petukhov this year, and could help B/A to their first World Championship next year. If they stay with Shpilband, they will spin wheels, I am afraid.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I agree, once you're no longer your coaches poster children it's time to move on..

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
But I'm sure training daily in such a competitive camp has helped D&W and V&M's progress tremendously.

I do think it's time for B&A to get a different presepective choreographically though.

ETA: chuck I didn't know that about the massive points difference at TEB and NHK between D&W and V&M, though I seem to remember that V&M had several falls in their OD at TEB.
IMO if D&W could make the team for Worlds, it would be an interesting battle with V&M.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The difference wasn't just in the OD. D/W also beat V/M in the FD.

Here are the points:
160.12 45.08 83.75 V/M, TEB
169.49 52.86 86.65 V/M, NHK

I figure that if V/M hadn't fallen in the OD at TEB they would have gotten 50-51 points, but D/W would still have the edge. Of course, V/M beat D/W at Skate Canada, but V/M had the home ice advantage there, and their scores were greatly inflated compared to what they got at TEB.

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Thanks for the details. D&W beat G&P's TES scores in the FD at NHK, but they seem to lose out in the PCS scores for both OD and FD, whereas V&M's PCS scores are usually a bit higher [from memory].

But of all the American couples, they are the best I've seen since B&A for sure, and the most unheralded before this season. I'd heard lots about M&Z and N&B, and been disappointed when I saw them, but D&W were a very pleasant and exciting surprise. :agree:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
D/W had higher TES and PCS scores at NHK than V/M had at TEB:

22.90, 23.18 (6.05 5.95 6.10 6.20 6.20) V/M, TEB OD (they had a fall)
29.00, 23.86 (6.35 6.25 6.20 6.10 6.40) D/W, NHK OD

46.70, 37.05 (6.15 5.95 6.30 6.30 6.35) V/M, TEB FD
48.40, 38.25 (6.45 6.25 6.40 6.40 6.45) D/W, NHK FD

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Right now, of Shpilband's teams, B/A are the odd team out. I think it would be in their best interest to change coaching ASAP. That sure boosted Denkova/Staviiski and Gregory/Petukhov this year, and could help B/A to their first World Championship next year. If they stay with Shpilband, they will spin wheels, I am afraid.

I couldn't agree you more, chuckm! I find B & A have regressed quite a bit this season.... not happy at all with their Free Dance, and I think they are going to get a real shock at the Grand Prix Final... they may not even make the podium.

As for Davis and White... simply astounding the scoring levels they have attained so quickly. Certainly well deserved from what my eyes witness in their skating. I think they definately will be among the three dance teams on the podium at Nationals next month.

Oh, and do not be surprised to see Gregory and Petukhov win their first National Title. They have developed to a whole new level under their new coaches. Personally, I think it would be the best possible thing to happen to B &A if they are beaten by G & P this year. It will make them work harder and might open their eyes that they need to move in a new direction, under new tuteledge.