Instant Message Speak | Golden Skate

Instant Message Speak

S

sk8cynic

Instant Message Speak

Am I the only one here who gets frustrated that people use Instant Message Speak when posting threads?

U no i h8 2b so harsh but i really d0'nt lik 2 read thingz 40 timez 2b understand what some1 iz saying.

I'm not referring to spelling or gramatical errors as everyone one does that from time to time. The IM speak is no longer limited to text messaging. It is out of control and starting to affect learning in school.

One of the things I like about GS is the intelligence of its members and the fact that threads are smart, savvy, clear and concise. While IM speak is not rampant here, it is starting to show up, and from visiting other forums I have found that it is growing like a cancer at some . I personally don't want to see this forum go down that same path.

Any opinions on this?

B

Blue Bead

Re: Instant Message Speak

I second your opinion! I come to GS as part of my relaxation time but how can one relax when one has to decipher what is written in this IM-speak stuff. Are people just trying to show off how hip they are? It seems that it is just a lazy way to write. Perish the idea of a whole paragraph of that. Just my thoughts.....

D

Dee4707

Sk8cynic, thanks for clearing that up. I received a couple of emails :rolleyes: that way and didn't know what was going on so I just deleted them.

You learn something new everyday.:eek:

Dee

L

lottafs

i teenk itz veree anoyeeng 2 reed dose tings. it makez dat perrson look lik dey r 2 yeers old or sumting. or sum1 whoo got no edukaytion.

:D

AnD i DoN't LiKe ThIs TyPe Of TyPiNg AlSo. MaNy AsIaN yOutH dO tHiS aNd aS a YoUnG aSiAn, I fEeL vErY aShAmEd.

J

Joesitz

sk8cynic - Good grief. I'm noted for my poor spelling and I hope readers understand. As for IMSpeak, I would be at a loss. Hopefully, those who use that will read your thread, and refrain from Orwell's prediction. Thanks for bringing this up.

Joe

S

sk8cynic

Believe me, Joe, there are times when I read back through some of my old posts and cringe at the spelling and grammatical errors I have made....but this is a different ballgame altogether.

I guess I wouldn't be so irked about it if some of the little snips who do this didn't get so snarky and defensive. I have seen where, when asked about it, some kids have replied that they HAVE to use correct grammar and spell correctly in school both when writing and talking, so when they're not in school they'll do whatever and speak however they like and if others don't like it that's just tough s***.

When did emulating illiteracy become a status symbol? Did I miss a meeting?!? I can't speak for others, but I know that if I spelled and spoke like these kids (and had their high and mighty attitude about it), my daddy would have sent me out back to "fetch a switch" as he used to say. I pulled my kid out of the public school she used to attend and put her in private school when she came home and, when asked, smarted off with "I ain't got no homework." She never talked like that until she started attending this particular school. Maybe I overreacted, but as an English major, this is a particularly hot button with me.

I'm waiting to see what GrGranny thinks about this IM speak. :p

G

Grgranny

I DEFINITELY agree with you. It just makes me cringe.
You know, like squeekee chock.
:rollin:

D

DORISPULASKI

I always assumed that they were people who never learned to type properly and were frustrated with hunting and pecking for the keys...or that they had one of those viavoice type interfaces that never type as well as one would hope thye would do. I never thought of it as carrying over from IM and chatrooms, but I am sure you are right.

dpp

G

GoldenLady1

I totally agree with you. Thanks for saying it so concisely. I find that messages like that are all but impossible to read, and am glad to see that others feel the same way. It's just not worth the effort!

A bit off topic, but this reminds me of how when I was in junior high and high school, I actually had pen pals and hand-wrote them long letters, put a stamp on the envelopes and mailed them! I feel like a relic from the dark ages now... ;)

S

sk8guy2k2

I haven't noticed it...not too many people do this, right? I can only think of one who does here...

S

SammieJ

Eys, Innit!

I sure get :mad: when I'm tiffin on some really good voids, and those little 0] come in with all this No Pryde speak

PML!!!

D

Dee4707

Years ago, I attempted to read the 'Color Purple' and would get so tired and frustrated because it was written supposedly like the black people talked then. It was almost like translating. I finished the book but enjoyed the movie so much more. In college I had decided to take a literature course in Spanish; it took me 2 hours to translate one paragraph.

I guess that's why this would not be a good thing for me.

Dee

M

mathman444

I think it's a generational thing, don't you? Teenagers have always delighted having in their own slang that the square old grown-ups aren't hip to.

Mathman, phat and stoopid.

D

Dee4707

<span style="color:purple;font-family:helvetica;font-size:small;">Hey Mathman, I saw one of your posts and you signed it Larry. Is that a code word for something?:lol: Funny, you don't look like a Larry.:x

Dee</span>

H

HamiltonBrowningFan

it drives me nuts too... the only ones I use are

brb, g2g, ITA, IMHO, and LOL

K

Kara Bear

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Hey Mathman, I saw one of your posts and you signed it Larry. Is that a code word for something? Funny, you don't look like a Larry[/quote]

Dee,
I totally agree. Mathman's image is ruined for me. I have to start picturing what he looks like as "Larry". :D :D :D :D

L

Ladskater

It also spills over into the real world. One of my pet peeves is using numbers in place of a word - for instance:

4 Sale instead of For Sale

For Heaven's sake, let's speak (and write) the King's English!

Ladskater

M

mathman444

Larry? No, no. My real name is Buck. No, Brad.

No, wait...Rocky. My real name is Rocky...

Bruno! That's it. "Larry" is a code word for "Bruno." Bruno. Bruno. Are you ladies picturing me as a Bruno?

(signed) Lar...Bruno.

D

Dee4707

Ok Mathman, since Kara and I both agree that your image has been ruined, I was wondering if one of these guys were you?

<a href="http://www.threestooges.com/" target="top">Is any of these Guys a look alike???</a>

Dee