Jargon Pet Peeves | Golden Skate

Jargon Pet Peeves

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
My latest jargon pet peeve is the phrase:

"That being said.." It drives me crazy when I hear someone utter this redundant phrase. It's becoming overused.

My husband hates:

"preplan" how does one preplan? Is not a plan a preparation?

So GS fans what are your jargon pet peeves?

mganders

Rinkside
Change it out--I keep wondering how that's different from simply changing something.

Make it pop--overused.

(I watch too many design shows)

Moment in time--where else would a moment be?

In skating--not holding back. Very over used, a Suzie Wynne favorite.

In gymnastics--small little steps, but I kind of like that for some reason

Also, the use of less instead of more. My cousin prefers to shop at a store that uses the term 5 items or fewer.

So many more.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I work in Jargon Land, so my list is huge...

Think outside of the box: I'm claustrobic, I'm distrubed at the mere thought of the box...

ETA: estimated time of arrival: huh? set a deadline & stick to it

From a 10,000 feet viewpoint: So sorry but from 10,000 you can't see anything but the Grand Canyon & that looks like a whole in the ground

Synergy: Please. Either something fits or it doesn't... no need to make up silly words.

In my humble opinion: If you have an opinion, be passionate & strong in it...

Sharpen the Saw: This doesn't even make sense & while Steven Covey is mandatory reading, I still don't understand why someone would say this... just say personal development or something...

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
My boss loves to say "to be quite honest with you". One time I was really bored at a meeting, and I counted how many times he said it - turns out he had one "quite honest" every 3.5 minutes! :banging:

antmanb

Record Breaker
I work in Jargon Land, so my list is huge...

Think outside of the box: I'm claustrobic, I'm distrubed at the mere thought of the box...

Urgh - think outside the box is one i truly truly hate...i have trouble respecting anyone who uses this term with me in the workplace!

I also hate:

"I could care less" - this is meaningless!!!! The pharse is "i could not care less".

"I need that by close of play Xday"...close of play? I don't know what you do during office hours but i certainly don't consider it play...if you must use this corporate wanky phrase than at least say close of business, but even better how about just "the end of the day".

Gosh there are so many an no more will cmoe to me right now...i'm sure i'll add more!

Ant

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Other than "ear regardless" - how ever you will spell that made up term - (basically made up words in a phrase or not) just the focus on things like improper use, etc.. getting in the way of what is trying to be conveyed. Which I am not saying is happening here, but when it does, that is most annoying.

When I was in Corporate America, we acquired a CEO from Ford. He used that "ear regardless" in a comment. It was kind of surprising. He did correct himself and said something to the effect that his mom would be disappointed, but regardless we all understood the message and overlooked the mistake.

anya_angie

Final Flight
Well when it comes to phrases that bug you, here's one that irks me...

"Holy S**t!"

My English teacher was assigning homework one day a few years ago and my friend exclaimed that. My teacher replied "That's pretty hard to imagine, don't you think?" There were a few "Whats?" among the students, and she continued "Holy sh*t. What, does it have a halo around it or something?"

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think my pet peeve words right now.............

Oh that is just soooooooooo funky.

Look at my new funky shoes.

One day I asked what does funky mean???

megsk8z

On the Ice
My ex-boss used to say, "forewarn you ahead of time." How do you do that? Are you psychic?

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I think my pet peeve words right now.............

Oh that is just soooooooooo funky.

Look at my new funky shoes.

One day I asked what does funky mean???

:rofl: :rofl:

Ok. Here's another one...

I was in a meeting this afternoon & a woman described a new campaign as being "hot, cool and totally on point"

Now, on point I have no problem with... (probably because I use it myself...)

But can something be both Hot & Cool? It seems so unbalanced...

Also, my boss likes to say: "If we drive internet traffic, we will experience the benefits later." Maybe this doesn't qualify as jargon, but repeating something read in Fast Company five years ago, does not make it a worthwhile statement...

Last edited:

enlight78

Medalist
The phrase I hate is "same difference".
Either it is the same or different. It can't be both.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
You acutely made me think of one, and maybe it is because I always felt most who said it missed the point / used improperly...
" Half a dozen of one, 6 of another."

And just because a friend of mine can't stand this one
"Believe you me."

antmanb

Record Breaker
The phrase I hate is "same difference".
Either it is the same or different. It can't be both.

Now you see i hear "same difference" used petulantly by children who don't agree but i often use it in discussing drafting in contractual terms and i think it succinctly sums some differences well.

Ant

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
The one that makes me crazy is...

Heighth.
Why do so many people say "heighth" when they mean "height"? Do they take the little yellow bus to school?
There are only two H's in "height"!
(aaaaaargh!)
xoxo
Rave

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
OK, if we are going to word pronunciation (or mispronunciation that I agree with RR) I defiantly have one.

Tomato - us Americans and our drive to change everything.:p I just don't see why every other language that has a close pronunciation say the "a" as a short vowel. IMO it should be a short sound on the a. It was brought to Europe from South America and both of those pronunciations use the short vowel sound for the "a" when "naming" the fruit....and the vowel - consistent - vowel rule, whatever, like that is ever followed with any consistency.

Also Coupon, where in the world is the combination of "cou" pronounced "cew" or "q." Is there such a thing as a "cewp" to keep livestock in, or of a military "cew."???? Maybe if you are playing billiards at the armory.

Last (even though there are many more) the duty pronunciation. It really bothers me when people say "doody."

And on that point, if people would just pronounce things correctly there would not be nearly as many bad spellers in this world.

I definitely classify these as pet peeves, and I take it with a grain of salt, so I don't mean to sound snotty.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
pacific when the person should have said SPECIFIC, it annoys me to no end.

EXpecially is another one... should be ESpecially...

I hate it when people use big words just to try and make what they're saying sound more important