Jargon Pet Peeves | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Jargon Pet Peeves

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have another one.........when people call their computer a "puter." My puter isn't working right now. My puter is old. I need to install an antivirus program on my puter............you know what that sounds like???? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Dee

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
I have another one.........when people call their computer a "puter." My puter isn't working right now. My puter is old. I need to install an antivirus program on my puter............you know what that sounds like???? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Dee

Gee, Dee, I never looked at it that way. Note to self: stop using the word 'puter.
:laugh:
Rave

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
In honor of my dear friend R(ealtor)Gal..................
It's realtor not realator

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
By the way Piel, how is your puter???

Dee

Johar

Medalist
"Know what I mean?" has been cropping up alot during interviews, usually with celebrities.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There are loads of these irritating space-fillers (that's what they are---people use them while they search for the rest of what they're trying to say). Here are some of my pet peeves:

"To tell the truth" This is really bad, because one can infer that this person doesn't normally tell the truth, but this time he/she is making a special exception just for you.

"At this point in time" By the time this phrase escapes the lips, that 'point in time' is gone. NOW is a concise and perfectly usable word.

"At the end of the day" A favorite of English-speaking politicians. I wonder if they've ever thought of how this gets translated into another language and how dopey it makes them sound.

"If you will". I always have the urge to shout: If I will WHAT? This meaningless phrase is truly a space-filler substitute for "Uh" or "Um"

"Consensus of opinion" A total redundancy, because consensus is an opinion shared by a group.

"Nucular" The correct pronunciation is NU-CLEE-AR

"Suffice it to say" and "In a nutshell" Usually followed by a thousand or more word ramble, these phrases are a mockery of what follows.

Last edited:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Okay, I'll pipe in with a few of mine......

"Sorry about that".........I can't believe I still hear people say that.

"Excuse me" instead of saying "What did you say?"

"Spot-on"

"Betroom instead of bedroom"

"Noooooah", instead of "No"................42

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
My husband says: Chicargo...

It takes all of my love & dedication to our marriage not to smack him around while yelling: "THERE IS NO DAMN R IN CHICAGO!!!"

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Huh? Not sure about how it relates to things fitting or not, and "synergy" may indeed be annoyingly overused/misused in Jargon Land, but it is a real word.

My dictionary gives a first use date as 1660 and defines it as "1: synergism; broadly: combined action or operation 2: a mutually advantageous conjunction or compatability of distinct business participants or elements (as resources or efforts)"

The definition for "synergism," dated 1910, is "interaction of discrete aencies (as industrial firms), agents (as drugs), or conditions such that the total effect is greater than the sum of the individual effects"

:laugh:

Ok. Fine you win... But it is still a stupid word that is overused in my industry...

I guess in 200 years someone will defend bling as a real word

antmanb

Record Breaker

It takes all of my love & dedication to our marriage not to smack him around while yelling: "THERE IS NO DAMN R IN CHICAGO!!!"

Do you let us Brits off for pronouncing it Chicargo? It can't really be helped with an English accent!

Ant

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

KW, you just make me laugh so hard!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dee

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
KW, you just make me laugh so hard!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dee

:bow: Oh Dee:bow: ... thank you so much... I'm so glad that my bad grammer & terrible spelling still allows you to enjoy my small attempts at humor & to bring joy on my favorite board... (you'd be shocked at the PMs I get about my inability to spell on this board...teehee...):laugh:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
"defiantly"? So passionate... ;)

ah...but this one's spelled "coop".

Did you mean "acceptable" instead of "expectable"? Also, I've never thought of this particular mis-speak as self-centered--that's a bit of a stretch for me. Most times poor grammar of this nature is simply a result of failure to learn the language properly as opposed to willful self-importance.

I guess one of the things that bugs me is people who don't use adverbs properly. "He took me serious" instead of saying the correct "seriously", or "Drive careful" instead of "carefully"...ugh...

OOPs! Maybe to many beers and not checking spell check - but this was not a spelling pet peeve anyway. I 'spose "oops" will bug someone (or 'spose) but we are not talking either. Seems like now that all these "issues" are coming up the more I hear them.:laugh: I am surprised at some of the "qualms" some have with some of these. Particularly ones where the "user" would be only showing effort to create interest or validate meaning, etc.... I thought I was a snob:laugh: Not saying anyone is or even that they shouldn't be, just surprised there were so many.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A local one for Philly, PA:

Saying "Aca-me" for our local "Acme" supermarket. Two syllables, please, not three! ;)

My husband keeps saying "Febuary" instead of "February," and he's an educated college grad with a master's degree in Information Science (terrible speller, though :rofl: , and he tends to mutter things when he's talking).

My mom used to purposely use double negatives in sentences, fully knowing that I was probably going to correct her afterwards. I really felt that she just wanted to get my reaction :laugh:.