Best Skating Costume Designer? | Golden Skate

Best Skating Costume Designer?

Coach

Rinkside
Who do you think is the best skating costume designer?

Last edited:

Jhar55

Medalist
Depends if your going for the flashy costumes.
But I think Vera Wang has made some very eleagent costumes.
I just don't the names of other designers.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Depends if your going for the flashy costumes.
But I think Vera Wang has made some very eleagent costumes.
I just don't the names of other designers.

I agree. But not sure who is doing Kimmies, or the French D&S either. I am still quite fond of whoever is getting some of these "panted" ladies outfits togather, they are :love: :love: :love: to me - well most of them I have seen. Who designed Fumie's Black Lace for worlds 05? That and Iras pink belt from the same year are going down in my faves of faves.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Jef Billings :) hands down is my favorite designer... love everything he's ever created for the skaters...

Angela's Just For You costume is stunning and he's the guy behind it... just one of the many of my favorite pieces of his collection

Josee Choinard was looking into that once upon a time, she designed a few of her costumes... and I liked her work

dutchherder

Final Flight
Who designs costumes for DuBreuil and Lauzon? They always look tasteful. Kwan always looked lovely, also. I've also liked Lysacek's costumes-- with the exceptions of the one he wore at Marshall's and that Grease costume. Kimmie usually looks good too.

I am *not* a fan of the bodysuits, though. My least favorite costumes have been many of Irina Slutskaya's, Stephane Lambiel's, and Emmanuel Sandhu's.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
I agree. But not sure who is doing Kimmies, or the French D&S either. I am still quite fond of whoever is getting some of these "panted" ladies outfits togather, they are :love: :love: :love: to me - well most of them I have seen. Who designed Fumie's Black Lace for worlds 05? That and Iras pink belt from the same year are going down in my faves of faves.

I think that Kimmie's dresses are designed by a guy named Brad Griffies or Griffith or something like that. I wish I could remember exactly, maybe it will come to me. Whoever it is, I LOVE LOVE LOVE her new white "Snowstorm" dress, with the blue stone trim. The skirt is a wee bit short but I don't care, it is a gorgeous dress that highlights her trim, athletic figure very well. I alse love whoever designed Angela Nikodinov's dresses, they were always so elegent.

I think my favorite costume ever was Melissa Gregory's "Juliet" dress from last year. I don't know who the designer is but it was stunning.

heyang

Record Breaker
I enjoy Jeff Billing's work the most, too. He really knows how to take advantage of the lighting .

I used to like Vera Wang's designs when she did Nancy Kerrigan's. I just feel that most of her stuff looks the same now.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like many of Jef Billings' costumes that he has made for individual skaters (Kristi, Paul, for example), and many of the ensemble pieces for SOI (I loved the navy blue ones he desgined for last season's "real" opening number). In general I prefer costumes that are elegant and understated.

Jhar55

Medalist
One thing that the designers over look is that the skimpy panty on the ladies looks bad. The thong looks much better under your jeans.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I'm a Jef Billings fan, too. I've always liked the costumes that Amber Corwin designed for herself & I'm keeping an eye on Johnny Weir's designs too. I liked the one he did for Petukhov this year.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I used to like Vera Wang's designs when she did Nancy Kerrigan's. I just feel that most of her stuff looks the same now.
I've liked most of Vera Wangs designs non-skating but when she designed for Michelle, I thought those costumes were terrible. As an old GS member (Fetal) once said, it looked like someone threw a bowl of oatmeal at her. I always thought Jenny Kirk and Sasha's costumes were among the best.

Dee

Eeyora

Final Flight
It depends I loved Lauren Sheehan back in the day when she designed for Kristi Yamaguchi and Nicole Bobek Who can forget Kristi's Blue Danube dress or Nicole's Doctor Zhivago but now they are outdated. Jeff Billings has had some nice designs for Angela. I loved Just For You and Giselle. I also liked the dress Michelle wore for Ariane. Vera Wang has created some beautiful costumes such as Nancy's 92 LP, 94 SP and LP. I hated the yellow dress for her 92 SP. As for the costumes she creates for Michelle. They started out nice. I loved the Olympic costumes from 02. The color were perfect for michelle. I also loved the lavender Tosca dress and the dress she wore forThe Feeling begins in 03. However by 05 they had gone downhill. The gold Bolero costume was dreadful.

Jhar55

Medalist
Just how much input does the skater have on the design of their costume.
You would think if they would have the final say.
And I agree with the Bolero dress it was just UGLY.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Just how much input does the skater have on the design of their costume.

It depends on the skater... Sasha and Johnny have had a lot of say, whereas others just basically leave it in the designers hands...

Scott Hamilton was another who dictated what his costumes looked like from about 1983 on :)

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Vera Wang............brought couture to ice skating. When you think of all of the beautiful costumes she did for Kerrigan and Kwan I think we can forgive the occasional not so great one. Angela's dresses always looked a little too much like lingerie to me. I love the look of royal blue velvet on the ice....don't now why more of the ladies don't wear it.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I like Jef Billings. One of my favorite Kwan costumes ever was the Mulan exhibition dress that Billings designed. That costume really captured the cultural background of the character (in addition to just being a lovely dress). You could say the same for the Madama Butterfly dress that he created for Kristi back in 1995. I really like almost all of his work.

I loved the Marc Bauer dress that Kwan wore for Lyra Angelica in 1998. I thought it was very flattering on her. I don't know if he's designed many other skating dresses, that's the only time I can remember seeing his name come up.

Toller Cranston doesn't design many costumes that I know of, however, one of my all-time favorite dresses was designed by him: Chen Lu's Last Emperor red costume in 1995, which was gorgeous, with a beautiful flat-pleated skirt.

I am not a fan of the Vera Wang dresses. To me, they all look the same and are a bit dull. Also, I feel Wang cut the skirts a bit too short. (I like a slightly longer skirt.)