For iloveaxel | Golden Skate

For iloveaxel

MKFSfan

Medalist
I didn't want to continue to hijack the thread dedicated to Caroline Zhang, so I started this thread...I wanted to share an old article that has recently resurfaced with you in case you missed it the 1st time around, I decided not to PM you in case anyone else wanted to see this article as well:

http://www.velena.ru/translations/kwan.htm

You don't have to be a diehard fan, but I think some fans need to realize sometimes a skater cannot perform at their peak throughout their entire career. I don't think that means they have to retire if they still want to skate. Reading this gave me a greater insight into Michelle Kwan, the competitor, the athlete. I have always been of the belief Michelle was trying to preserve her body for one last go at the OGM and that is why we didn't see brand new elements, 3/3s, and the intricate programs that we had before. It's a shame Michelle's body gave out when it did because my feeling is we fans, diehards or nondiehards, missed out on two programs that could've been really great, created by a legend and skated by a legend.

PS...I just realized I misspelled axel in the title slot, typed too quickly, my apologies!

R.D.

Record Breaker
Thanks for that article, great insight on Kwan. It's sad that it had to end for her the way it did. This was the most interesting part:

t started again in Torino. That Alpine climate often is dangerous for rheumatic problems. Maybe Kwan should’ve come to the Games even earlier – nine hours time difference requires at least nine days of adjustment. In this case, Michelle would’ve had a chance to go through it under much calmer work regimen, and later take her body smoothly to the practicing the way she is used to. She dived deep into the Games not caring for her ailment. She was waking up at night as she couldn’t take the pain but she forbid herself to even think about not going to the Olympic ice one more time.

So...I guess the fans were wrong in suspecting that Kwan always knew what her body could do and didn't over-work it? Sounds like someone was adamant on going to the OLYs even with the pain bothering her. Maybe skipping the OC would have helped some.

I read another great article on that site about Cohen.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Well, I'm sure Michelle was aware there was a problem, but chose to work through it. That's pretty common with athletes. You constantly hear athletes competing or playing through serious injuries that would have most noraml people flat on their backs, unable to do daily tasks. I think it's the whole "mind over matter" theory, and sometimes there really isn't much more you can physically take.