Tribute on Ice - NBC Dec 16, 2006 at 4-6 pm EST | Golden Skate

Tribute on Ice - NBC Dec 16, 2006 at 4-6 pm EST

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Thanks for the heads up, Jaana. I know you and I will be watching Kulic. Do you have the time?

Joe

Yes, I will be looking forward to the Ilia Kulik clips... Joe, the time is Dec 16 4-6 pm EST. Skating fans interested in this show better to check if there is any change of time on the local NBC...

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Interesting to see Arakawa's name there. Good for her trying to get exposure here in the States.

IDLERACER

Medalist
I just got through watching this (I taped it this afternoon). The bad news: Tatiana Totmianina & Maxim Marinin did not perform (although they are on the bill at the website). The good news: Caryn Kadavy did perform (although she is not on the bill at the website). Fine with me. She's amazing. She skates and looks better than she did 20 years ago.

My biggest complaint about the special is the usual one. The camera spends as much time on Michael Bolton (not a pleasant site) as it does on the skaters. :mad: Now I ask you, could there possibly be somebody at home, looking at the screen and saying to themselves, "Darn, those skaters are annoying! Why don't they keep that camera trained on the ugly blond guy with the big head!?" I hope tomorrow's Kurt Browning special doesn't have any live singers.

ladybug

On the Ice
My big complaint is that the camera spends too much time on the singer. We can hear their voice regardless of where the camera is but we can't see the skaters when they are showing the singer/singers. I do think the cameras spent less time on Bolton for this show than they normally do on the singers.

I hope the other Disson shows follow this lead. I really enjoyed this show. Maybe I am starved for some good skating.

Ladybug

anya_angie

Final Flight
As far as I'm concerned, if the rest of the show had been filmed the way they did Arakawa's Nessun Dorma, I would never complain about the camera spending too much time on the singer again! But sadly, for the most part yes, too much Michael, not enough skaters.

On another note, I LOVED Ilia's choreography of Go The Distance! As far as I'm concerned that was the true highlight of the show for me.

Wolfgang

On the Ice
I'm with Idleracer - why did they have a 'tribute' to Mr. Bolton anyway?
The skating was actually quite good, too bad I kinda fell asleep - unfortunately after Wynonna....- because I'd had a pretty full few days/weekend.
Seems to me Mr. Bolton must be tone deaf (not very conducive for a singer) if he thinks his sweetie (the 'desperate housewife') can sing.......

dizzydi7

On the Ice
Tribute on Ice

Wolfgang,

Thank you for the comment regarding Bolton's opinion of Nicolette's singing. I couldn't agree more. Perhaps it's just an honest mistake and he meant sex instead of singing.:rofl:

Dizzy

mememe

On the Ice
As far as I'm concerned, if the rest of the show had been filmed the way they did Arakawa's Nessun Dorma, I would never complain about the camera spending too much time on the singer again! But sadly, for the most part yes, too much Michael, not enough skaters.

On another note, I LOVED Ilia's choreography of Go The Distance! As far as I'm concerned that was the true highlight of the show for me.

Shizuka's solo was filmed so well because Bolton wasn't singing it live -- he INTRODUCED Shiz and his version of the song, then just stood on the stage while his version of the song was played from a recording and Shiz skated. Guess he couldn't manage to do the "opera aria" thing that night live (well, as far as I'm concerned, he didn't handle it well in the recording, either, but I digress). But I agree that I'd rather have all the solos to the "live" singers taped that way. It would be so much better.

I enjoyed the show overall, but Bolton does nothing for me. Highlights for me were Boitano, Shiz, Orser, Angela, L&T and Caryn.

anya_angie

Final Flight
Ahhh okay, yeah I was wondering if it was a recording then I saw him standing at the end and thought it had been live so I cheered for the NBC cameramen LOL!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We taped this show since we were out on Saturday afternoon. I'm looking forward to watching it later in the week because of the skating cast. Michael Bolton's voice grates on me, sorry. I just hope the other Disson shows will focus more on the skating. We loved Kurt's show (it does help that we like the Barenaked Ladies, so we didn't mind seeing them as well), and the skating cast was amazing. :party:

Last edited: