Rachael Flatt for the US Nats Podium | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Rachael Flatt for the US Nats Podium

antmanb

Record Breaker
She reminds me of a young Tara Lipinski. Considering she can land the jumps and the other American girls can't, I don't see how she can miss the podium. I hope she takes silver. Maybe that will shake the other girls up. I wish she was old enough for Worlds.

What about her Lutz is it okay or does she have the flutz?

The LIberty competition youtube clip shows that flutzes quite severely...she actually looks to have a very similar technique to Zhang but without the high free legl kick back when she picks in.

Ant

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
She reminds me of a young Tara Lipinski. Considering she can land the jumps and the other American girls can't, I don't see how she can miss the podium. I hope she takes silver. Maybe that will shake the other girls up. I wish she was old enough for Worlds.

What about her Lutz is it okay or does she have the flutz?

She does remind me of Tara. My money is on her to make the podium since most other girls can't land their jumps.

Nigel

On the Ice
Spun Silver - I'm not on Rachel's bandwagon (yet). I threw that in more for the 'hype' thing.

She, like Caroline, is a very young skater, but she chose to skate Seniors which I think was a mistake. Yes, Caroline would easily have won over her in Juniors but so what? She should accept a lesser medal if one is given to her, and work harder the next year. The goal is the 'OGM' and that for her, imo, is sometime not in the near future and only if she proves to be among the world's top ladies.

Three things I am looking forward to at US Nats in the Senior Ladies Division is Sasha Cohen, if she skates, a decisive win for Kimmie Meissner and Rachel's debut. I'm not pushing any of that, just checking it out.

Joe

Joe: Flatt was the silver medalist in Junior last year. What was the point of her staying junior another year. Her SP was awesome last year. Some mistakes in the LP. But from her performances this year, she has continued to improve. Again, did not really see any reason for her to stay back. Look forward towards new goals. Senior, is ultimately what counts.

And, Flatt has dealt with an injury for 4 months. Zhang as far as we know, is injury free. Again, let's just let the kids skate.

Nigel

On the Ice
If Flatt was second in Juniors, who won the title? Is she any good?

Last year's medalists at US Natls...Junior Ladies:
1) Megan Hyatt
2) Rachael Flatt
3) Melissa Bulanhagui
4) Ashley Wagner (who remained Junior this year)

All competed on the JGP circuit this fall, except Flatt (injured).
See the JGP threads for results.

Last year's medalists at US Natls...Junior Ladies:
1) Megan Hyatt
2) Rachael Flatt
3) Melissa Bulanhagui
4) Ashley Wagner (who remained Junior this year)

All competed on the JGP circuit this fall, except Flatt (injured).
See the JGP threads for results.
I just watched the Midwestern Sectionals on IceNetwork. I think all of the Ladies were good but some were more faulty than others. Rachel was the most promising of the lot I saw for a possible podium finish at Nats, but the present US ladies (Emily, Katy, and Bebe) do have the experience over her.

One of those other ladies in the mix was Ameed Sheikh whom I found very musical at least moreso than the others. Do you know anything about her?

BTW (a stupid lazy question) which ones will be at Nats?

Joe

Sylvia

Record Breaker
One of those other ladies in the mix was Ameed Sheikh whom I found very musical at least moreso than the others. Do you know anything about her?
Ameena Sheikh is a first-year senior who has been to one previous Nationals as a novice level skater in 2005 (she placed 11th - Rachael Flatt won the Novice title that year). She trains in the Detroit area and is the oldest of 3 skating sisters.

BTW (a stupid lazy question) which ones will be at Nats?
I posted this senior ladies' roster in the Nationals forum recently:
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showpost.php?p=214314&postcount=14

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The highest Sectionals scores posted by Senior ladies were these (total, SP, FS):
159.27 53.55 105.72 Rachael Flatt, Mids Sectionals winner
150.24 53.17 97.07 Danielle Kahle, Pacific Sectionals winner
148.16 46.68 101.48 Kylie Gleason, Eastern Sectionals winner
145.22 49.16 96.06 Taylor Firth, Eastern Sectionals 2nd place

The next highest total scores were 10 points lower than these.

Fernan

Rinkside
She reminds me of Danielle Kahle. The music, much as I love American in Paris, seemed like background music to her. I think she does have a bright future if she keeps at it, but I wish she would stretch that camel! I see why people do the doughnut spin now--it hides the fact that skaters have no stretch in the classic camel position.

At any rate, her skating doesn't have any zing in it yet. Another skater she reminds me of is Julia Soldatova of Russia, who won the bronze medal at worlds in 1999, and had jump consistency, but not much else. With the help of choreographers, she will definitely be a contender...

If one is looking at the Liberty skate I linked on Youtube, the skate at Sectionals was much much better. I don't think one can link IceNetwork.

Joe

Kasey

Medalist
Don't see anything overly special in her. But I am not predisposed to be enthralled by most lady skaters anyway, it's my least favorite discipline. If she can stand up on her jumps, who knows what could happen? I'd watch a non-jumping Czisny any day tho.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Rachael is still being a little careful with her spin positions because of her back injury. But her Sectionals performances were a lot better than her Regionals, and I expect her Nationals to be improved over her Sectionals.

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
I hate to bring this up, but the sign on the glass that says "Watch out for flying pucks" is in urgent need of some touching up. Or was at the time the video was shot.

I hate to bring this up, but the sign on the glass that says "Watch out for flying pucks" is in urgent need of some touching up. Or was at the time the video was shot.
Figure Skating fans owe a lot to Hockey. Developers build arenas for Hockey. they do not for Figure Skating. It's only for Winter Olympic purposes that a Government will have a FS arena built.

If a figure skating venue comes to your town, it'll be in the hockey arena.

Joe

Nigel

On the Ice
She reminds me of Danielle Kahle. The music, much as I love American in Paris, seemed like background music to her. I think she does have a bright future if she keeps at it, but I wish she would stretch that camel! I see why people do the doughnut spin now--it hides the fact that skaters have no stretch in the classic camel position.

At any rate, her skating doesn't have any zing in it yet. Another skater she reminds me of is Julia Soldatova of Russia, who won the bronze medal at worlds in 1999, and had jump consistency, but not much else. With the help of choreographers, she will definitely be a contender...

From Flatt's USFS bio...she worked with Lori Nichol (her SP, which we saw at Liberty and at Mids and really liked it) as well as Tom Dickson (LP) this season on choreography. So, I would expect to see her musicality continue to evolve. IIRC, there was some criticism last year on the boards about her choices of music as a junior lady....too mature, etc. IMO, the Brahms piece and the Gershwin music are good choices for a 14 yr old. Age appropriate.

MKFSfan

Medalist

I know! I had to rewind and watch it again to be sure I misread!

This was commented on at the time. It seems some boys at the rink thought it would be funny to modify the sign.

Doris Pulaski commented that it was especially eye catching when one of the dance teams did a big flying lift right in front of it. :laugh:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I know! I had to rewind and watch it again to be sure I misread!

I agree. I couldn't focus on Rachel in some parts because she'd keep landing the jumps in that part of the rink!

Lissy

Medalist
Possibly but I highly doubt it. She is not on the level that judges will want to represent the US at Worlds. She needs more time. Maybe next year will be more suited for her but the podium will most likely be Kimmie and Emily while Katy, Alissy, Bebe, and Christine will duke it out for bronze and pewter. She will probably place in the top 10 if she skates clean.