Christmas Carol flap and Sasha | Golden Skate

Christmas Carol flap and Sasha

bronxgirl

Medalist
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16213191/

It seemed that some high school group stopped singing Christmas Carols because Sasha who is half Jewish was at the concert and signing autographs. Some city official thought she might be offended even though she "celebrates everything". Too bad, because it seems that everyone, including Sasha was enjoying the groups's singing

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Ah, 'tis the season....:sheesh: :sheesh: :sheesh: Is it just me or is the "I am offended by your holiday display and/or songs and/or the fact that your personal PC level has not run amok enough" annual syndrome that seems to take over the country every holiday season, really gotten out of hand this year?

Furthermore, Sasha is HALF Jewish, so what's the other half?

(I refer also to the Seattle airport thing plus there is some local shrieking in the San Diego area about what to name the holiday festival in the park)

The Mods used to send, via the forum, a holiday greeting card, which several posters found offensive in spite of the fact that it had no religious overtones. :confused:

Apparently there is no joy in holidays for some people.

I believe Sasha is ethnically Jewish but not religiously Jewish. Not sure though.

Joe

MKFSfan

Medalist
Regardless of Sasha's ethnicity, she was participating in Christmas tree lightings in NY and Cali. so why did anyone feel the need to tiptoe around her? Especially since she has proclaimed she celebrates "everything" in the holiday season. Just goes to show you the excessive overreaction people have about being PC during the holidays now. Pity.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
According to Sasha's Wikipedia page, both of her parents are Jewish. Whatever the case, this strikes me as a case of political correctness going to extremes.

Look, I'm Jewish, but I don't get offended if someone wishes me Merry Christmas, if he/she doesn't know that I'm Jewish. If he/she does know, however, I would hope he/she would wish me a "Happy Chanukah." If I know the person's religion, I will greet the person accordingly. If not, I will wish him/her "Happy Holidays" or "Season's Greetings." This principle also applies to the holiday cards I send to people.

Happy Chanukah to all of the Jewish posters here! ;)

Merry Christmas to everyone who celebrates Christmas. ;)

Best wishes to everyone for a very happy, healthy holiday season, no matter what holiday you observe! :party:

Last edited:

Jhar55

Medalist
I am one who is tired of all the back lash of Christmas. There was a time I didn't care to celebrat but didn't shun those who did.
I've notice this year the radio isn't playing as much Christmas music.
MERRY CHRISTMAS to everyone who celebrates the day.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS to those who celebrate other religons.

IDLERACER

Medalist
Furthermore, if Sasha is HALF Jewish, so what's the other half?
Obviously, the journalist who reported the story is mistaking her for Sarah Hughes. Another example of ice skating getting no respect from the American press. My guess is that whoever the people at Reuters assigned to cover this, probably had never heard of her, and just assumed that she must be an olympic gold medalist, otherwise the story wouldn't have been newsworthy. :sheesh:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
doesn't Sasha study the new celeb trend of Kabballah, or did she just like the red wrist band fad last year?

Linny

Final Flight
Refreshing

Personally, I find it refreshing when people ask if you celebrate holidays before just assuming.

Linny

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yeah well... sometimes there isn't time. At work I say Happy Holidays (even though I don't celebrate 'Holidays' I celebrate Christmas, but since I got chewed out last year when i was merely a customer and I told an employee Merry Christmas...) I'm not against it, I just have a really hard time being told 'my' holiday is offensive, but none of the others are.

FYI, the Seattle Airport was contacted by the Liberty Council who gave legal advice and they put the Christmas trees back up...

anyway, back on topic... lol Sarah Hughes is Jewish and Catholic, right? and it's obvious that Sasha is ok with the idea of Christmas or she wouldn't participate in Christmas specials and she wouldn't say she felt like Santa Claus... right? ;)

I hate that being PC dictates for all... when really it's just forcing another set of norms on people... so really it's no more tolerant than anything else.

Bill508

Rinkside
Im confused. How Sarah or Sasha one be half Jewish and half Catholic? Jesus gets in the way of that one- The "human" vs "son of God" thing. Half? I thought Judaism & Catholism were religions not races so the word "half" doesn't conpute concerning religions.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
sorry how does Jesus get in the way? ;) He was Jewish, but is the foremost symbol of Christianity... ;)

and yes you're right we're talking religion in this sense... I think what the article meant was that one parent is Jewish (I think in both cases it's the mother?) I don't know why a family background of one person dictates whether or not a song can be sung in a holiday show, but what do I know? ;)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sarah is not half Catholic and half Jewish. Her father is Protestant, her mother, Jewish. According to Jewish law, Sarah and her siblings are considered Jewish because they are the children of a Jewish mother. I believe the Hughes children consider themselves Jewish, and the boys in the family were Bar Mitzvahed. But Sarah has said in the past that Christmas was her favorite holiday.

I am not sure about Sasha's background, but Sasha has said that she and her family do not practice any religion.

Fossi

Final Flight
Sasha prides herslef on being Russian. Most Russians didn't celeberate religious holidays. This could be why she doesn't celebrate any holidays. Is she communist? Maybe a Sasha fan could anser that.

Is that some kind of joke? Not funny. Sasha actively supports the armed forces (one of her charities is Soldier's Angels - see her website). I've heard that she is a Republican. Also, I am pretty sure I've read that she celebrates all the holidays - not none.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I've also heard about the Republican part (can't stand them, lol) but no one seems to be able to confirm it for sure. Did she say or hint at it, or are people just assuming she is because she foamed at the mouth over sitting next to Bush?