Christmas Carol flap and Sasha | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Christmas Carol flap and Sasha

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Nothing to do with Christmas trees, but instead of starting another thread on Cohen, in the 25 December People Magazine, page 144, there is a feature called "Familiar Names: Same Name, Big Difference, Welcome to Fame 2.0." Among them is "Old: Sasha Cohen and New: Sacha Baron Cohen." The photos are postage stamp size, since there are 7 comparisons in 1/3 of a page, but she looks lovely in the headshot, in which she is clearly wearing her Olympic SP dress.

Before anyone gets too upset, this isn't meant to be an "Out" and "In" feature, just an original vs. v.2. Other pairs are Kenny Rogers, FedEx, Betty (Rubble and Ugly), and Shiloh.

Wolfgang

On the Ice
I guess there's always going to be someone who gets offended by something....
I just kinda wish this wasn't 'newsworthy'.......
I'm Pagan, and not offended by anyone's celebrations of whatever, as long as their carols are more or less in tune....;)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
BTW, Sasha is NOT Russian. Her mother was born in the Ukraine and is Ukrainian. Big difference. Sasha's father and Sasha herself were born in the US, which makes them both AMERICAN.

I guess there's always going to be someone who gets offended by something....
I just kinda wish this wasn't 'newsworthy'.......
I'm Pagan, and not offended by anyone's celebrations of whatever, as long as their carols are more or less in tune....;)
Right on Wolfy - There are some of us who believe the world is round and there is more to it than the middle east.

Joe

IDLERACER

Medalist
Nothing to do with Christmas trees, but instead of starting another thread on Cohen, in the 25 December People Magazine, page 144, there is a feature called "Familiar Names: Same Name, Big Difference, Welcome to Fame 2.0." Among them is "Old: Sasha Cohen and New: Sacha Baron Cohen." The photos are postage stamp size, since there are 7 comparisons in 1/3 of a page, but she looks lovely in the headshot, in which she is clearly wearing her Olympic SP dress.
A perfect example of an identical situation to Sasha Cohen and Sacha Baron Cohen in 2006 would be Jerry Lewis and Jerry Lee Lewis in 1957. Both of them were about equally famous that year, but I don't think very many people got them mixed up either.

krenseby

Final Flight
Re:

BTW, Sasha is NOT Russian. Her mother was born in the Ukraine and is Ukrainian. Big difference. Sasha's father and Sasha herself were born in the US, which makes them both AMERICAN.

No, Sasha is not Ukrainian. Her mother is Jewish and the place where she hails from (Odessa) was transferred from the Russia to the Ukraine after World War II by Khruschev. Before then it was a part of Russia since the 18th century during which Russia acquired the area from the Ottoman Empire. A historically Russian area, Odessa hasn't ever had and still does not have many ethnic Ukrainians (who, it must be emphasized, do have a unique culture and language that is not identical to the Russian one.) Anyhow, Sasha likes to call herself Russian and I think the facts show that she has the right to.

See: http://www.alanier.at/Novorossia.html

Wolfgang

On the Ice
Right on Wolfy - There are some of us who believe the world is round and there is more to it than the middle east.

Joe

Round? Egads!
But....but....
There certainly IS a lot more to it than the Middle East, though.........