Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Men SP report

Custom Title

Men SP report

Not sure how long the battery will last or how long the WiFi will work (it's on and off in the stands)

Weir, King of Chess

3A, landed, turned around and fell on doing nothing
    3L3T
    CSSp
    CiSt
    2F
    CCoSp
    SlSt
    FSSp

Spins are usual combination of leaning forward, change of edge and twist, I haven't written all them down. Compared to practice it was a major improvement, but it really lacked power

Banned

thanks

looks Jonny bombed in his usually solid SP.

Custom Title
    Preaubert, Buzzy Bee

3A
    3F3T
    FSSp
    3L
    CiSt
    CSSp
    SlSt
    CCoSp

Clean, but spins were slow with poor positions. Good program for him, but not then he is injured.

Custom Title
    Weir is a mess

Custom Title
    Lysacek withdrew due to injury sustained during morning practice... Wonder if it was that horribly looking fall.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna View Post
    Lysacek withdrew due to injury sustained during morning practice... Wonder if it was that horribly looking fall.
    That's a shocker.

All Hail Queen Yu-Na!!!!!! SailorGalaxia518's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iloveaxel View Post
    That's a shocker.
    Ditto

Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar
    I hope Evan is not hurt too bad, and he'll be able to skate at nationals.

All Hail Queen Yu-Na!!!!!! SailorGalaxia518's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna View Post
    That is the 2nd year in a row that Lysacek qualified to the final and had to withdraw

Custom Title
    Wish they had an alternate there geesh

Custom Title
    They can only substitute an alternate before the SP draw. If the skater was injured in practice the day of the competition and withdrew shortly before, or after, the competition began, it's much too late to substitute an alternate even if one were on site.

Custom Title
    Sorry, WiFi access switched off.

Takahashi, Violin Concerto

3F3T
    3A
    3L
    CiSt
    CSSp
    FSSp
    SlSt
    CCoSp

clean, with superb steps, but he did not deserved his usual high GOE on jumps this time, both toe and lutz were landed nearly on the toe pick without much of run out. 3A was better than them, but still not good enough.

Oda, Fly Me to the Moon

3A, fall
    3L3T
    FSSp
    CSSp
    CiSt
    3F, popped to 1.5 rot.
    SlSt
    CCoSp

Excellent sit spin positions, which is rare these days. Then he fell on 3A I thought his mental preparation was thrown off by a bunch of fans who shouted very long tirades in Japanese (for Takahashi as well), but looking as his mistake on flip the problem might lay with something else. Still it's superior program (to Weir) so his placement is justified, despite the fact that he made more mistakes.

Joubert, Die Another Day

4T hand down 2T
    3A
    FSSp, fast
    3F
    CiSt
    CCoSp
    SlSt
    CSSp

Even without quad it was a class of the field: power and command of a true champion. I think Oda and Takahashi might match him, but they did not today

Ana - I don't understand your rationale and the judges scoring regarding Nobunari's faux pas compared to Weir's one mistake.

Have the rules changed for the SP? where everything was more about mistakes in failing to complete the retired elements than the LP. Just asking, I am not sure.

Joe

Custom Title
    What *I* was talking about was his overall placement, because IMHO he program was so much better constructed and so much better performed as to deserve the overall victory. I haven't realized that they have nearly identical technical score thanks to Oda's higher GOE on spins and on his combo (well deserved, he had an excellent landing on it, and Weir's combo was tight). I am not sure I totally agree with it, but numbers are numbers. Oda did have better spins and better landings of the combo... and from there I sit nothing prevents Weir from doing those elements as well as Oda did.

Great Teacher Oscilla
    I agree with you, Anna. Oda's SP fits him as a glove, and he gathers points on GoEs. I hope that other skaters take a leaf from his book - Oda's elements used to be pretty unsightly 2-3 years ago, but he's been polishing them to perfection all this time.

Thank you for the great reports!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast