Men SP report | Golden Skate

Men SP report

Anna

On the Ice
Not sure how long the battery will last or how long the WiFi will work (it's on and off in the stands)

Weir, King of Chess

3A, landed, turned around and fell on doing nothing
3L3T
CSSp
CiSt
2F
CCoSp
SlSt
FSSp

Spins are usual combination of leaning forward, change of edge and twist, I haven't written all them down. Compared to practice it was a major improvement, but it really lacked power

Anna

On the Ice
Preaubert, Buzzy Bee

3A
3F3T
FSSp
3L
CiSt
CSSp
SlSt
CCoSp

Clean, but spins were slow with poor positions. Good program for him, but not then he is injured.

Anna

On the Ice
Lysacek withdrew due to injury sustained during morning practice... Wonder if it was that horribly looking fall.

gkelly

Record Breaker
They can only substitute an alternate before the SP draw. If the skater was injured in practice the day of the competition and withdrew shortly before, or after, the competition began, it's much too late to substitute an alternate even if one were on site.

Anna

On the Ice
Sorry, WiFi access switched off.

Takahashi, Violin Concerto

3F3T
3A
3L
CiSt
CSSp
FSSp
SlSt
CCoSp

clean, with superb steps, but he did not deserved his usual high GOE on jumps this time, both toe and lutz were landed nearly on the toe pick without much of run out. 3A was better than them, but still not good enough.

Oda, Fly Me to the Moon

3A, fall
3L3T
FSSp
CSSp
CiSt
3F, popped to 1.5 rot.
SlSt
CCoSp

Excellent sit spin positions, which is rare these days. Then he fell on 3A I thought his mental preparation was thrown off by a bunch of fans who shouted very long tirades in Japanese (for Takahashi as well), but looking as his mistake on flip the problem might lay with something else. Still it's superior program (to Weir) so his placement is justified, despite the fact that he made more mistakes.

Joubert, Die Another Day

4T hand down 2T
3A
FSSp, fast
3F
CiSt
CCoSp
SlSt
CSSp

Even without quad it was a class of the field: power and command of a true champion. I think Oda and Takahashi might match him, but they did not today

Ana - I don't understand your rationale and the judges scoring regarding Nobunari's faux pas compared to Weir's one mistake.

Have the rules changed for the SP? where everything was more about mistakes in failing to complete the retired elements than the LP. Just asking, I am not sure.

Joe

Anna

On the Ice
What *I* was talking about was his overall placement, because IMHO he program was so much better constructed and so much better performed as to deserve the overall victory. I haven't realized that they have nearly identical technical score thanks to Oda's higher GOE on spins and on his combo (well deserved, he had an excellent landing on it, and Weir's combo was tight). I am not sure I totally agree with it, but numbers are numbers. Oda did have better spins and better landings of the combo... and from there I sit nothing prevents Weir from doing those elements as well as Oda did.

Oscilla

On the Ice
I agree with you, Anna. Oda's SP fits him as a glove, and he gathers points on GoEs. I hope that other skaters take a leaf from his book - Oda's elements used to be pretty unsightly 2-3 years ago, but he's been polishing them to perfection all this time.

Thank you for the great reports!

What *I* was talking about was his overall placement, because IMHO he program was so much better constructed and so much better performed as to deserve the overall victory. I haven't realized that they have nearly identical technical score thanks to Oda's higher GOE on spins and on his combo (well deserved, he had an excellent landing on it, and Weir's combo was tight). I am not sure I totally agree with it, but numbers are numbers. Oda did have better spins and better landings of the combo... and from there I sit nothing prevents Weir from doing those elements as well as Oda did.
I agree with that in general figure skating and I am not concerned about who wins. I was just enquiring about the way the SP is now looked at. I'm not really that interested in the two skaters mentioned.

Can you state that the SP is no longer concerned about completion of required elements? Hope I'm clearer here.

Joe

Anna

On the Ice
It has never been about only completing the required elements, otherwise anyone with doubles should have won over people making mistakes on triples (yes, I know that doubles aren't generally allowed in Senior SP, but just to make a point). It has always been about a balance of doing clean elements, doing difficult elements and doing elements well. Oda (vs. Weir) won "doing well" hands down, "cleaness" went to Weir, but not by such a large margin, and basic difficulty was about the same.