Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Practice groups are posted

Custom Title

bugs are smarter than we are bronxgirl's Avatar
    so does that mean that Sasha Cohen is really going to defend her title?

Down With It
    Thanks

And what's Sasha doing on that list? Is this old, or is she REALLY going to compete? I take it that they may be assuming that she's going and she will then "withdraw" from the competition. I really think there's no way in h*** that she's going...not with all that she's been doing.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bronxgirl View Post
    so does that mean that Sasha Cohen is really going to defend her title?
    No, it just means that Cohen has not (yet) officially withdrawn from 2007 Nationals.

The practice group list says at the bottom: "Subject to change. List represents entries as of 12/15."

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    No, it just means that Cohen has not (yet) officially withdrawn from 2007 Nationals.

The practice group list says at the bottom: "Subject to change. List represents entries as of 12/15."
    OK, that's more like it. I think it will be a "withdrawal" from the competition from Cohen rather than a flat-out announcement that she's not going to go. Sort of like Kwan and 2006 Nats (although she did it because of injury)

That way you still get your ticket sales. And yes, it is evil of USFS

I wonder if there is any significance to the fact that Sasha's group has one extra skater, compared to the others?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I wonder if there is any significance to the fact that Sasha's group has one extra skater, compared to the others?
    Doubt it....22 skaters, 3 groups....there was going to be one group with 8. I wouldn't read to much into it.

Cohen filed her paperwork just like everyone else, so she is on the list. Not that I think she will be in Spokane, but she still had to go through the mechanics of submitting paperwork. And until she shows up/doesn't show up, we can all speculate forever what her plans are.
    Last edited by Nigel; 12-18-2006 at 01:02 PM.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I believe so- Cohen is that "extra skater"

I don't know why her name is even on that list- it's kind of funny actually.

Cohen is eligible to skate at US Nats and defend her title, and she submitted the requisite forms to do so. that's why her name is on the list. Withdrawal is another question for now and if it were to happen I can see speculators giving 5 or 6 reasons for her doing so.

Joe

Anyone know why Steenberg and Smith are highlighted in yellow?

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Withdrawal is another question for now and if it were to happen I can see speculators giving 5 or 6 reasons for her doing so.
    It's not a question- it WILL happen. Mark my words. And there's only one reason: she doesn't want to.

Down With It
    And it's now official...she ain't going:

http://www.sashacohen.com/break.shtml

ETA:
    “I have every intention of competing in future competitions. My major goals are the 2009 LA Worlds and the 2010 Vancouver Olympics,” Cohen said. “I love the thrill competition brings, and I’m not ready to give that up. But I’m the type of person who is all or nothing. When I train and compete, it’s my life. I can’t be there just to be there. These past few months, I’ve really enjoyed simply skating for the love of it.”
    Eh? she keeps saying this. Maybe she really means it after all. But mind and body are two different things, and both may not wish to do the same thing at once.

I still think she's through with competitive skating. Even if she wishes to come back, she probably either a) won't be able to do it because she's so far behind the current generation or b) she'll pick up an injury and will miss out on the OLY.
    Last edited by R.D.; 12-21-2006 at 02:31 PM.

Custom Title
    Does someone else get to compete at Nationals?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by flying camel View Post
    No. Cohen had a bye to 2007 Nationals, so no one replaces her. 21 senior ladies are now scheduled to compete in Spokane (7 in each of the 3 practice groups).

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by flying camel View Post
    No, but someone else will get to compete at Worlds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast