2010 Olympics and Lower Mainland Traffic Woes | Golden Skate

2010 Olympics and Lower Mainland Traffic Woes

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
With the horrible commutes I have endured these past two weeks due to our horrendous weather, I was just wondering today what folks will be facing during the Olympics if this happens again. We already experience major grid lock on our commutes for the most minor problems. It only takes a stalled car on a bridge or a fender bender to cause traffic chaos. I can't imagine what it will be like during the Olympics. There has been talk that schools will shut down for the two week period. This may help a little, but our roads are not built to handle heavy volumes. If you come for the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver be prepared for traffic chaos.

Jhar55

Medalist
Don't they have shuttles that you can take to differnt venues.
Never been to any Olympics is why I've asked.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
They will probably have shuttles to go to Whistler for the ski events, but the speed skating will be held in Richmond - where I work and the figure skating will be held in Vancouver at the Pacific Coliseum. Both Richmond and Vancouver can be a nightmare at rush hour even shuttle buses could get caught in this ugly mess.

heyang

Record Breaker
When the political national conventions were in NYC a few years back, a lot of New Yorkers took off for vacation. Most people walk or take the subway in NYC and the people who worked in the area did not want to deal with the added security measures, etc.

If the Olympics had been brought to NYC, the same thing would've happened. People would have taken off and gotten out of town unless they were participating in the games some how (volunteer worker, ticket holder, etc.)

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Unfortunately, unlike NY our metro system lacks. They are currently looking to expand the line between Richmond and Vancouver. Our skytrain as we call it does not run underground like in NY, it is- save a couple of tunnels - completley above ground. We also have to have buses in between to link some of the runs together. It's not the greatest system. Also it is prone to break downs from time to time and overcrowding!!!!! Anyway, the powers that be are working on it and promissing improvements by 2010; however, that remains to be seen. Even if people take vacations to stay off the roads, it still won't solve our traffic woes.