Weir out of men's LP | Golden Skate

Weir out of men's LP

Kasey

Medalist
Per another board, Johnny Weir has also withdrawn from the men's event, citing injury from a fall yesterday (I don't see it confirmed on the USFSA site yet though). This totally tanks....Sigh.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
That is unfortunate. Hopefully he too gets well for the U.S Nationals. The men are dropping like flies this year-Buttle, Lambiel, Lysacek, now Weir all going down with injuries/illnesses.

I can understand the reactions from fans but in his case I think he should stay out of the US Nats to prove the injury is real. The USFS will give him a bye to the Worlds, I am almost sure unless Steven Carrier and Tommy Steenberg do exceptionally well at the US Nats.

Joe

Kasey

Medalist
I can understand the reactions from fans but in his case I think he should stay out of the US Nats to prove the injury is real. The USFS will give him a bye to the Worlds, I am almost sure unless Steven Carrier and Tommy Steenberg do exceptionally well at the US Nats.

Joe

Are you making the suggestion that both Johnny AND Evan should pull out from Nats to "prove the injury is real"? Or just Johnny? :cool:

dizzydi7

On the Ice
The problem with Johnny Weir is I never know when to believe him. He is such a whinner. Perhaps he's had another of his "dark" moods.

In some ways he reminds me of Angela Nikodinov....once she made a mistake in her program, she was doomed. Johnny is much the same way. Once he makes mistakes, he tends to throw it away.

I just don't think Johnny has the mental toughness for figureskating competition. I wouldn't be surprised if he felt humiliated about his poor SP and just couldn't get himself mentally prepared to go on. To have such a bad showing in his beloved Russia!

Who knows? Maybe he is legimately injured. That's just it.....you never know with Johnny.

Dizzy

momjudi

On the Ice
I hate to say it but I wonder if Johnny is just plain burnt out? He's skated the Olympics and Worlds with mono and injury, toured all summer with COI and from there went to competitions with two new programs which he had to learn in a few short weeks. Maybe, just maybe, he needs a break to get himself physically and mentally strong again.

Are you making the suggestion that both Johnny AND Evan should pull out from Nats to "prove the injury is real"? Or just Johnny? :cool:
No!! I didn't even know Evan was a subject in this thread!

Evan apparently had a nasty fall in practice and he opted out of the SP. I can't imagine he would not want to skate after travelling 9 plus hours to St. Petes. I hope he is better for the US Nats.

From what I've read, aparently and probably, Johnyy fell on a rut in the ice. It was not on an element. I would love to see him in good shape for the US Nats. But I can not help but think that the USFS may penalize him as they did back in 2003 and send him off to the regionals next year. I'm a long time fan of Johnny even before he became famous. At that Nats, I begged GS members to send him an encouraging note to his website. Many did. Were you one of them?

Joe

Kasey

Medalist
At that Nats, I begged GS members to send him an encouraging note to his website. Many did. Were you one of them?

Joe

I was not a member here then. A nice thing for you to do. But I fail to see how that applies now, when you are saying he should forego Nats (5-6 weeks away, mind you) to "prove" that an injury that caused him to withdraw from THIS event, right NOW, is "real".

I think, with that kind of reasoning, you would be expecting Lysacek and Agosto to withdraw from Nats also, to prove their injuries were "real" and not just excuses to not skate in the grand prix final.

Fossi

Final Flight
Stop making excuses Johnny and work on your skating! We already have one Sasha Cohen.

R.D.

Record Breaker
If he's not feeling it he's not feeling it. Plain and simple. I hope for his sake he doesn't read these boards.

Maybe he should just listen to you guys and give it up. As someone who has "been there, done that" (not in skating of course), I can't help but feel for him.

Vodka Shot

On the Ice
If they made him go through regionals again that would srsly piss me off. But, I so wouldn't be surprised. I'm certain he's truly injured b/c he's had to cancel some ice shows he was scheduled for in Moscow that he was looking forward to.

starshine

Spectator
I don't think Johnny needs to not skate to proof anything to anyone. He just needs to get well for himself. I honestly don't think we are that important in the scheme of things. I've read that he cancelled all his shows in Moscow and will be returning home tomorrow. That's a thing I can't imagine Johnny doing if he wasn't injured. With that said, I'm wishing Johnny and Evan a speedy recovery and hope to see both of them at Nationals.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Johnny's had an extremely crappy start to his year, which is weird normally he is great early in the season peaking at nationals and then "bombs" (though his bomb normally isn't an average bomb lol) come Worlds... I hope he figures out the magic combo soon, if not just for himself but for the state of US mens figure skating, with Weir and Lysacek possibly out our world team could be in serious trouble!

I think, with that kind of reasoning, you would be expecting Lysacek and Agosto to withdraw from Nats also, to prove their injuries were "real" and not just excuses to not skate in the grand prix final.
I don't think you know what I am driving at and suggest you review what happened at the 2003 Nats and the subsequent USFS decision. I have other things to do than explain it to you. Please understand I am worried about that the USFS may do something rash as they did before. I'm probably overreacting. I hope so.

btw. I have no idea why you are bringing Lysacek and Agosto into this discussion since they were fine in 2003.

Joe

I don't think Johnny needs to not skate to proof anything to anyone. He just needs to get well for himself. I honestly don't think we are that important in the scheme of things. I've read that he cancelled all his shows in Moscow and will be returning home tomorrow. That's a thing I can't imagine Johnny doing if he wasn't injured. With that said, I'm wishing Johnny and Evan a speedy recovery and hope to see both of them at Nationals.
Nice post starshine. I with you on this.

Joe

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
What the heck is going on? Is it me or are we seeing a lot more injuries this season. Figure skating can be quite a dangerous sport. Wishing Johnny a quick recovery.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Nah, I think the 2003 season was particularly rough when we talk about injuries (probably the worst if I can remember. Injuries basically took out most if not all top contenders that year save Cohen). Maybe it's a post-Olympic thing.