Cherry Juice - Works as Anti-Inflammatory | Golden Skate

Cherry Juice - Works as Anti-Inflammatory

L

Ladskater

Cherry Juice - Works as Anti-Inflammatory

I just read that cherry juice works as a natural anti-inflammatory! I love cherries. It sounds good to me. Anyone else ever try it? I prefer natural remedies to drugs anyday.

Ladskater

D

DORISPULASKI

AntiInflammatory

Never tried the cherry juice, but a friend of mine swears by the Blue Goo they show on late night TV. (It is externally applied, which if you're worried about drug reaction might be safer.)

But if the Vioxx works,stick with it, just read the side effect sheet and if anything develops, see your doctor about it. After all, if it's good enough for Dorothy...

dpp

J

Joesitz

Re: AntiInflammatory

Doris - I'm not sure about Vioxx but in general, prescription drugs do a number on one's liver. They tend to accumulate there and cause problems later in life. I'm a nutrition nut so I will read up on Ladd's Cherry Juice,.

Joe

E

emiC

drugs OTC or prescription

Cherry juice, yummy sounds good.

I think the good Lord has blessed us with livers, kidneys, skin, lungs etc. Part of the job of these organs is to get rid of toxins, drugs etc

I won't say prescription drugs necessarily doing a number on one's liver. Alcohol and greasy food are much worse. The liver is the main organ to metabolize, or digest drugs/ toxins/ foreign substances. The liver achieves its goal with many different enzymes the main family is the cytochrome P450 system.

I don't think anything prescription is necessarily less healthy than things that are so called natural.

Take for example grape fruit juice, it is natural, and is also a powerful inhibitor of the cytochrome P450 3A4 enzyme (think of these enzymes as digestive juice to metabolize, digest or detoxified any substance in our bodies). When grape fruit juice is taken with substrates (drugs/ toxins/ substance) of 3A4, grape fruit juice can inhibit (or think of it as poisoning the 3A4) rendering it ineffective, in turn there is not enough 3A4 to digest the toxins/ drugs.

scroll down look at the very right hand column under inhibitors, and grape fruit juice is listed

medicine.iupui.edu/flockhart/

Prescription drugs do not stay in the body forever, if one has a healthy liver/ kidney/ skin and lungs. Every drug prescribed or over the counter or even grape fruit juice has a half life. Pharmacokinetic half life means the time it takes for the concentration of the drug to fall by 50% (if no more new drug is put into the body). Take for example a drug gabapentin, or neurontin (elimiated by the kidney), it's half life is about 6 - 8 hours, so after about 40 hrs of adminstration of the last dose (5 half life) the drug is practically eliminated from the body.

If there is any storage of drugs or toxins in ones body, these tend to be accumlated in the adipose / fat tissues. There are exceptions of course for example lead poisoning, the Pb is accumulated in the brain. But lead is not a prescribed drug.

Again, most prescription drugs that have been FDA approved are drugs that can be eliminated properly and completely by the body, if one has a healthy liver/ kidney/ skin or lungs.

L

Ladskater

Re: Cherry Juice - Works as Anti-Inflammatory

emiC :

Thanks for the info! I only take meds if I am in extreme pain - like now for instance and stop taking them once, I am okay. I might check out the cherry juice just for the heck of it! I know grape juice is good for bladder infections. It can't hurt!

Ladskater

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:navy;font-family:helvetica;font-size:x-small;">Speaking of drugs, pain, etc.... I suffered for almost three years with the most horrific stomach pains on a monthly basis--I'm talking crawling on the floor kind of pain. It would last about 5 minutes, come every few hours, continue for 2-5 days. It was awful and I'd never experienced anything remotely like it all my life. No one could figure it out. To make a long story short, at the urging of a Chinese doctor practicing eastern medicine, I gave up all carbonated beverages since he said he thought it might be gas related. Guess what? I'm pain free! No medicine, no drugs, no surgery. This has been such a miracle for me, I can't even begin to tell you! I'm not anti medicine by any means... just pointing out that sometimes our bodies are simply rejecting something we are ingesting. Had I known the cure was so simple, I could have saved myself three years of misery.</span>

L

Ladskater

RealtorGal :

That is so true! I have had acupuncture several times for my monthly problems in the past (don't have it anymore of course) and it worked! I should try it for this problem. I have had several physio treatments and chiropractic treatments. It's an ongoing problem. But like you say some of the simpilest remedies are the best. Thanks.

Ladskater

D

dlksk8fan

So true on how certain things that we are eating can cause physical problems. A while back I was having bad intestinal problems causing stomach pain and dirarrhea. It would hit me anywhere which at times wasn't a good thing. One day I was reading a magazine and came across a article about stomach problems. It mentioned sugarless gum. It seems the artifical sweetner (sorbatol sp?) causes dirarrhea and stomach cramps. Well I was chewing sugarless gum everyday! Stopped chewing sugarless gum and my stomach problems went away!

The best thing we can do for our bodies is exercise and eat good.

S

Show 42

I have arthritus in my left thumb, and recently I have been using this ointment that has emu oil in it. It works quickly and takes most of the pain away for about an hour.....42

D

Dee4707

What an interesting thread. Thanks for starting it. I take Vioxx everyday and it really helps. Prior to taking it, I would be so stiff and in pain. I couldn't even go shopping. I would get to the mall, get out of the car and by the time I hit the mall doors, I was in so much pain that I had to leave and go home. Every day that I can walk without experiencing the pain, I am thankful.

Dee

G

Grgranny

Hadn't heard of grape juice for kidney bladder infections. I was always told cranberry juice. I think the worst cramps I've had were the irritable bowel inflammations. Luckily I haven't had them for a while. One trouble is most of those juices have way too much sugar for diabetics. I love grape juice but haven't had any for years.
Really like this topic. Have been too busy to read much lately.
Can't take Viox - don't know how to spell it either. It's really hard when you have things like arthritis and fibromyalgia and you can't take most of the things that help. Especially aspirin.
Trouble is, if you have one of those auto immune diseases, you probably get a lot of them. Luckily I don't have Lupus.

S

sk8m8

Prevention magazine ran an article several years ago touting the benefits of cherries as a rememdy for joint pain associated with athritis and other maladies. Apparently even King Henry VIII used it to ease his gout. It is a wonderful natural anti-inflammatory.

Grape juice is known to contain powerful antioxidents called Picnogynols(sp) that come from the seed. You can buy grapeseed extract in the suppliment section of and large discount store if you can't handle the sugar. If you eat seeded grapes, make sure you eat the seed. It is suspected that one of the reasons that there is less heart disease in the Mediteranean area is the consumption of red wine and tomatoe products that also have a antioxidant called lycopene.

As for Cranberry juice, you can also get the extract in the suppliment section and they even make a Lite Cranberry Juice with 75% less calories ( read, WAY reduced sugar) and it is a natural cleansing agent for both the kidneys and the liver.

G

Grgranny

Lite cranberry juice contains Equal (aspartame) which I try to avoid. Who wants to ingest formaldehyde? Thanks for the info. Will remember (well, try to :lol: ) the advice. Thanks. I try to use cranberry juice whenever I think I am getting a kidney infection so bought some frozen ones but haven't used them yet. I hope they don't come out and say Splenda is bad for you too. Every time we find a substitute seems as if they find something wrong with it. If they try to tell you aspartame is ok, just remember the ones doing the testing are the ones who make it. And you don't know what kind of tests they are running, usually.

M

Mathman3

emiC -- What happens when we eat liver and kidneys (of cows, for instance)? Do we ingest a lot of toxins? Do they do us any harm?

Mathman

G

Grgranny

Wow, Mathman, what a great question.

E

emiC

liver and kidney

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>What happens when we eat liver and kidneys (of cows, for instance)? Do we ingest a lot of toxins? Do they do us any harm?[/quote]

The short answer is no. The liver and kidney are responsible to metabolize and excrete (digest and get rid ) of substances we ingested into our bodies including toxins. The key words are excrete and get rid of. Toxins usually are not stored in kidney and livers. Drugs that are ingested are circulated in our blood to different parts of our body, and eventually excreted out.

Take for example when some smart know it all is going to take an oral exam. He decides to take the drug propranolol (inderal) classified as a beta blocker FDA approved as an antihypertensive for the performance anxiety. (What a stupid idea, beta blockers cause cognitive blunting, i.e. cause the mind to be less sharp in exchange for reducing anxiety). After he ingested the propranolol, the drug was carried in and out of the liver through the heptac portal circulation. Inside the liver cells there are many enzymes. I mentioned the cytochrome P450 system in my first message. Propranolol is a substrate of the CYP (abbreviation of cytochrome, and for simplicity the 450 is not included ) CYP1A2 , 2C18, 2C19 and 2D6. Being a substrate means all of the above enzymes can digest it. After the liver enzymes digested the propranolol, the metabolite (what is left) is carried in the blood away from the liver and eventually into the kidney. The kidney makes urine, the propranolol metabolite is dissolved in the urine. The body then gets rid of it. There is no accumulation of the propranolol or metabolite of propranolol in the liver or the kidney.

Other drugs e.g. gabapentin (neurontin) and lithium are excreted exclusively by the kidney unchanged. There is no accumulation of gabapentin or Li in the kidney.

I tend to trust drugs that are prescribed, FDA approved, because in order to receive a label from FDA, the drug companies at least have to produce data that meet FDA standards. Data includes drug - drug interactions. Again referring back to the CYP drug - drug interaction table
medicine.iupui.edu/flockhart/

Scroll down and look at the right column the CYP3A4 enzyme, you will see the first block is a list of the substrates, the second block is the inhibitors, and the third block is the inducers of this particular enzyme.

We just talked about the concept of substrates, i.e. these substances need 3A4 to digest them.

Inhibitors of the enzyme, means these substances poison and render the enzymes ineffective, and inducers are substances that instruct the liver to produce a lot of these enzymes (again I am over simplifying things)

Look at the antibiotic erythromycin that has potential side effects of cardiac arrhythymia. If someone is taking erythromycin a 3A4 substrate and grape fruit juice a 3A4 inhibitor at the same time. The grape fruit juice inhibits the 3A4 (i.e. render 3A4 ineffective) in turn the erythromycin is not properly digested, and therefore erythromycin level in the blood is built into a toxic level -> increase risk for cardiac arrhythymia.

Look at another situation, HIV antiviral meds are 3A4 substrates. St. John's wort is a 3A4 inducer. So if someone is taking HIV antivirals and St Johns wort together. What will happen? The st Johns wort instructs the liver to produce a lot of 3A4, in turn there are a lot of enzymes available to digest away the HIV antivirals, that means there is not enough HIV antivirals in the blood to fight the virus.

So what is my point? FDA approved drugs have data available or at least more data available compare to the OTC non FDA approved drugs / substances. I know I just talked about grape fruit juice and st Johns wort, and these are not FDA approved substances. :)

So MM, eat your calf livers and kidneys enjoy.

S

Show 42

Wow, I can't believe the things I learn from this forum. I knew about cranberry juice helping to prevent UTI's, but I had no idea that grape juice had pycogenal in it. Pycogenal is used as a natural substance to help children and adults who have ADHD. You learn something new every day here....
:D 42

R

rgirl181

Re cherry juice: Don't know if it has anti-inflammatory properties or not, but it tends to have a laxative effect. The effect depends, of course, on how much you drink and the concentration, but you might want to go easy when you first try it to see how your body responds.
Rgirl

S

sk8rvet

drugs

many drugs do leave residues in food animals including milk- that is why there are mandatory withdrawal times for specific drugs used in production animal medicine that are strictly regulated by the USDA- these issues have sparked a lot of controversy with antibiotic and hormone use in production animal medicine

L

Lynn1951

Re: drugs

emiC, you said <blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Look at the antibiotic erythromycin that has potential side effects of cardiac arrhythymia. If someone is taking erythromycin a 3A4 substrate and grape fruit juice a 3A4 inhibitor at the same time. The grape fruit juice inhibits the 3A4 (i.e. render 3A4 ineffective) in turn the erythromycin is not properly digested, and therefore erythromycin level in the blood is built into a toxic level -> increase risk for cardiac arrhythymia.[/quote]

Recently my doctor gave me Biaxin which is chemically related to erythromycin for a sinus infection. I drank a few glasses of grape juice while taking this med. What gets me is that the doctor, phamacist nor the PDR even mentions any possible side effects of the juice combined with the med. The PDR does list 16 other drugs that can may increase, decease or alter Biaxin's effect though. It sure would be nice if foods and drinks were also listed.

I know that if a woman is taking birth control pills that an antibiotic can render the bc pills useless.

Lynn