Johnny Weir | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir

Fossi

Final Flight
Has Johnny done all he is capable of for figure skating? Has he lost his love of the sport? This had been a disasterous season for him and I wonder how much longer he'll go on.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
I wonder all these things myself. But I do hope he's not done yet. I have my own egoistic reason for that: I'm afraid I won't be able to sit through the men's if he's not competing.

debdelilah

On the Ice
Has Johnny done all he is capable of for figure skating? Has he lost his love of the sport? This had been a disasterous season for him and I wonder how much longer he'll go on.

It looks like he's not comfortable with his programs this season; and plus he lost time not only to the tour, but from being off the ice from illness(mono) after the tour was over. He may decide to stop skating, but I don't see him doing that right now--he doesn't seem like he would want to do that. I think it's more likely he'll use the longer training period this coming summer to advantage, and choose programs that suit his style and personality better.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
I don't think that we've seen all that Johnny has to offer. If he can get himself healthy I think he has at least a few good years ahead of him. But, he needs to focus. He can't keep on improvising programs just because one thing goes wrong. He needs to skate his programs the way he practices him. I still think he can do it, and I think he still has a world championship title in his future.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Maybe his LP this season bothers him. I'm not crazy about the choreography of the LP. It doesn't have the usual sparks I normally find in every his program. (I love his SP though. )

I don't think Johnny would quit like this. Many others experienced very bad season/seasons before, too. For example, Brian Joubert.

Johnny is so much tamed and softer than last season. The Olympic experience made a great impact on him. Made him think a lot more in the way he probably never thought about before. I think it's both good and bad. He needs to grow up. He needs to re-find himself. He needs time - for his body and his mind. I hope that the time he needs would not be very long because he doesn't have much time to waste.

I wish he recovers soon!

Last edited:

twinsissv

Rinkside
Somehow, I get the very sad feeling that we are saying "good-bye" to the Johnny we once knew and appreciated. He doesn't seem to feel that he is in the same league with the competition. He even looks tentative in practice sessions while watching his fellow skaters easily completing quads. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm just remembering his acknowledgement that he himself considered quitting after the 2005 season. I wonder if he's looking FORWARD to fashion design and BACK on skating at this point. Very discouraging thought. : :disapp:

Last edited:

blackrose050

Rinkside
I'm not sure why we're suddenly predicting doom for Johnny. He's certainly not the only skater having troubles, and the season is NOT over yet. I haven't heard Johnny say that he wants to quit. If anything, he's seemed more determined since Torino. And from watching him at Marshalls, it certainly doesn't look to me like he's sick of skating. An injured hip at the GPF doesn't exactly spell the end to a career.

Maybe he needs a different choreographer. maybe he needs a sports psychologist, maybe he just needs time to rest and train and get his head together. If he still loves skating (which I think he does), he can have all those things. It's not over til it's over.

twinsissv

Rinkside
I'm not sure why we're suddenly predicting doom for Johnny. He's certainly not the only skater having troubles, and the season is NOT over yet. I haven't heard Johnny say that he wants to quit. If anything, he's seemed more determined since Torino. And from watching him at Marshalls, it certainly doesn't look to me like he's sick of skating. An injured hip at the GPF doesn't exactly spell the end to a career.
You've given me hope. Nothing would make me happier than to be WRONG on this issue. But it's difficult with the results that I've been seeing. And it's disturbing to see Johnny looking so "down" at times. A person can only take so much disappointment.

Last edited:

Vodka Shot

On the Ice
I adore Johnny. He's the only reason I ever got into this insane sport and I think he has the most natural talent of any current male skater. But, I've read both him, Priscilla (his coach) and Marina (his choreo.) say that he hasn't trained like he should. I'm not going to stay blindly loyal to a skater if they can't find the time to train.

psycho

On the Ice
I adore Johnny. He's the only reason I ever got into this insane sport and I think he has the most natural talent of any current male skater. But, I've read both him, Priscilla (his coach) and Marina (his choreo.) say that he hasn't trained like he should. I'm not going to stay blindly loyal to a skater if they can't find the time to train.

I don't know where you read that, but I never heard that from them. They never said he didn't train hard enough, they said he wasn't ready yet/not in shape because of the tour and inability to catch up, not due to the lack of effort.

If you have a reference for quotes of them saying otherwise, I wish you'd share a link.

antmanb

Record Breaker
My post doesn't seem to have turned up!

Johnny said (or hinted) over the summer that he'd been through a bad break up. He's sakting like someone who is heartbroken. Something like that could very easily affect your training, your entire mental state. If he's sturggling with his personal life then it wouldn't surprise me if he's struggling with his skating. I'm happy to carry on making excuses for him - i like him and i like his skating. I hope he can start to get over his personal issues and let him put his mind back to skating.

My prediction (or hope) is that he'll show up at either worlds or nationals back with the Swan Sp and Otonal LP and finish up the season.. He should then never use Annissina to choregraph for him again and he should run straight back to TT as early as possible to get two new programs for him with plenty of time to get into them and then kick *** next season.

Ant

He should then never use Annissina to choregraph for him again and he should run straight back to TT as early as possible to get two new programs for him with plenty of time to get into them and then kick *** next season.
:agree: :agree: :agree:
And I sure don't mind seeing Swan and Otonal again either. :love:
Not sure about the breakup theory. It makes sense, but in addition Johnny doesn't seem to care for the stern discipline of the champions. But perhaps TT could help with that as well as his programs.

Vodka Shot

On the Ice
I don't know where you read that, but I never heard that from them. They never said he didn't train hard enough, they said he wasn't ready yet/not in shape because of the tour and inability to catch up, not due to the lack of effort.

If you have a reference for quotes of them saying otherwise, I wish you'd share a link.

I got links for you but, for some reason :unsure: my computer won't let me post links on this site so I'm gonna try and PM them and see if that works???

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The COI tour coming on the heels of a hectic Olympic season took a lot out of many skaters, including B/A, Evan Lysacek, Johnny Weir, Stephane Lambiel and even Kimmie, to some extent. Thank goodness the tour shrinks back to its 10-week size for the next 3 years, and the skaters are done in early June. They NEED that time to recoup and work on new programs.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Skaters work so hard, and in addition to the hopes of winning or medalling, they also hope to be hired to tour. Post-Olympics COI is a big chance to make some money, but the irony is that, especially for those who compete at post-Olympic Worlds, the tank is on empty before the tour starts, and then the tour extends until August. For those who've left eligible skating, at least there's light at the end of the tunnel, even if it is the dog days of August. For those who don't, they are an entire summer behind their peers in training and developing programs, and they have to do a crash course to catch up in a year that's critical for establishing or maintaining position in the New World Order.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Ah, watching fans abandon "Ship Johnny Weir" this year is almost as amusing as watching en masse the abandonment of Brian Joubert by legions of 'fans' the past couple of seasons.

How can anyone seriously call him an entertainer and not a skater???? For cris-sakes, the guy won THREE - count 'em - 3 National titles. Everything in life is cyclical - he's been up, he's been down. Big deal. Not much different than most athletes.

Btw....for the doubters....did you happen to catch him at Marshall's? Yes, I know - I know - it's a cheesefest...but he left no doubt as to the sheer beauty and awe of his skating.

I agree. Johnny is a beautiful and unique skater, and I happen to like both programs he is skating to this season. From what another poster hinted at, I can believe that there are personal problems interferring with what appears to be his indifferent presence on the ice.

If I'm correct, I hope he deals with this and that will get him back to serious practice.

Joe

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I don't agree with the speculation that Johnny could be having personal problems that may be affecting his skating. Maybe it is just nerves. I have to agree with Zanzibar. I did see Johnny perform at Marshalls and he was just fabulous. The way Johnny moves on the ice, the audience could not take their eyes off of him.

carol45

Rinkside
I watched Johnny Weir from the first row in St. Petersburg. After doing an incredibly good 3A, he simply fell down. It did not look like a hard fall to me - not like you fall when you hit the ice after missing a jump - he may have had both feet on the ice when he fell. Just looked like he stumbled. Then things went downhill from there. He finishes dead last and then is injured and can't skate the free. I don't know. I don't want to believe that he just did not want to go on with it but something is clearly wrong with this guy.