I'm gonna call it now.... | Golden Skate

I'm gonna call it now....

mkdream

Rinkside
Fumie Suguri is going to win the Japanese Nationals and Worlds. Her new free skate has the potential to be the best of the season and maybe in the history of CoP. I think her ability to pull it together at the end of the season and Worlds being in Tokyo will be just the spark she needs to skate her heart out. She's Japan's answer to Michelle Kwan. I wouldn't count her out.

Jasper

Final Flight
I certainly hope so! But she needs to be wary of all the young guns with better jumping capablities and more difficulty in their programs. She needs to be on constantly and hit everything to stand a chance. As much as I love Fumie, I'm not so sure she should skate after this season.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I would like to see Fumie win Japanese Nationals and Worlds. Her LP is very good and she scores well with it. Unfortunately it is her scores in the short that may be her downfall because of her lack of tech compared to the other skaters.

Go Fumie! But I think Mao Asada will find a slower version of Czardas (like the one Katarina Witt used, for instance) and take it to the bank.

tae04

On the Ice
LoL, I love Fumie but thats not happening. The lack of a triple triple and level 4s hurt her.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Fumie Suguri is going to win the Japanese Nationals and Worlds. Her new free skate has the potential to be the best of the season and maybe in the history of CoP. I think her ability to pull it together at the end of the season and Worlds being in Tokyo will be just the spark she needs to skate her heart out. She's Japan's answer to Michelle Kwan. I wouldn't count her out.

Wow wow wow...slow down there fella. :cool:

Don't know about Japanese Nats (it's very possible if the others cave into pressure) but worlds, I think not. She could medal (again) but I think for her to win others will have to melt down- namely Asada and Kim (who I consider to be the frontrunners). Then you still have Meissner who beat Suguri last year at worlds, and Miki Ando who seems more or less to be on the rebound after a dismal season last year.

Then again, stranger things have occurred.

(but I can say Kimmie will win US nationals...Emily can't touch her ;) )

Fossi

Final Flight
Now, now Red Dog!!

Don't ever, ever, ever count out the Hughes family. :love: I think Kimmie will be the overwhelming favourite for gold, but Miss Hughes may sneak up on her and give her some stiff competition. Emily may not win, but like big sis, she will pace herself steadily until 2010. That my dear friend, you can take to the bank.

GO EM!!!:love:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Actually I hope the above happens for the sake of having an actually INTERESTING ladies' US nats competition for once. For years it's been the Kwan Coronation and in 2006 we all knew as soon as Kwan was out Cohen was going to win (Meissner couldn't compete with her yet).

Now Meissner is the overwhelming favorite for US Nats and unless you-know-what freezes over I see no one else really challenging her. I suppose Emily could capitalize if Meissner has an off-night but she'd have to be ON like Sarah in SLC. Not impossible but Hughes has her own problems. I don't think she's ever had a clean Free.

mkdream

Rinkside
Wow wow wow...slow down there fella. :cool:

Don't know about Japanese Nats (it's very possible if the others cave into pressure) but worlds, I think not. She could medal (again) but I think for her to win others will have to melt down- namely Asada and Kim (who I consider to be the frontrunners). Then you still have Meissner who beat Suguri last year at worlds, and Miki Ando who seems more or less to be on the rebound after a dismal season last year.

Then again, stranger things have occurred.

(but I can say Kimmie will win US nationals...Emily can't touch her ;) )

Yes they have. Who thought Sarah had a real chance at gold in 2002? Not me.

Jasper

Final Flight
Emily Hughes will never win anything with a decent field, period. She is so out-classed in every department of the sport by so many ladies. Meissner and Zhang are the future of US ladies figure skating.

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
I don't think Suguri will even medal this year at Worlds.

It's Mao Asada, Miki Ando, Kimmie Meissner, and Yu-na Kim who are in contention for the medals.

~Z

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
Fumie

To believe Fumie has a decent chance of medaling at Worlds is just a fantasy.
She'll be lucky to get into the last flight due to lack of a triple-triple. There are at least 3-4 ladies who have reliable 3-3 in the short programs. They could easily score above 64 points. Fumie's best hope is around 60-61 points.

With her being outclassed in short program, I doubt she'll make much ground as her jump arsenal is absurdly unimpressive for a so called 'top contender'. Her spirals are just horrible. Spins are okay, but some positions are funky.

Fumie's best hope is #4 to #5 placement when 2-3 top ladies flounder.

Your following comment is also laughable and not even worth debating...

Her new free skate has the potential to be the best of the season and maybe in the history of CoP.

We've already had so many 'best' in this season, to name a few, zhen&zhao's lp, Mao's sp and Yu-Na's long, there is really no room for another 'potential best'.

Another bizarre thing for Fumie is that she's skating to MK's worst LP music as her new SP. Talking about a MK wantable without the charisma.

Last edited:

krenseby

Final Flight
Re:

She'll be lucky to get into the last flight due to lack of a triple-triple. There are at least 3-4 ladies who have reliable 3-3 in the short programs. They could easily score above 64 points. Fumie's best hope is around 60-61 points.

With her being outclassed in short program, I doubt she'll make much ground as her jump arsenal is absurdly unimpressive for a so called 'top contender'. Her spirals are just horrible. Spins are okay, but some positions are funky.

We've already had so many 'best' in this season, to name a few, zhen&zhao's lp, Mao's sp and Yu-Na's long, there is really no room for another 'potential best'.

Another bizarre thing for Fumie is that she's skating to MK's worst LP music as her new SP. Talking about a MK wantable without the charisma.

Please remember that both Ando and Asada had a breakdown of sorts in the LP this season. If they do so again, Fumie could beat both. The same goes for Yuna Kim. With a less than stellar performance, she could be beaten by Fumie, as she was in Skate Canada.

Now, am I saying that at Worlds Kim, Asada, and Anda would have a dismal performance? Nope. I certainly hope not. But it is possible. If that were to happen and Fumie had a clean LP and SP, she could come out on top of all of them.

flying camel

Medalist
LoL, I love Fumie but thats not happening. The lack of a triple triple and level 4s hurt her.

Sadly, I have to agree. She seems to be losing her triples. There is no loop in sight and she never does the Salchow anymore. She will probably still medal though based on her consistency.

mkdream

Rinkside

My comment is laughable and not worth debating ? Am I mistaken or is this a forum where everyone has an opinion? I was just stating my opinion.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I like Suguri´s skating very much, but with the competition she is faccing, I doubt that she would win Worlds or even would stand on the podium there.

R.D.

Record Breaker
You've got to hand it to her, though, for hanging in there this long, with relatively consistent results at the big events.

IS79

Rinkside
She seems to be losing her triples. There is no loop in sight and she never does the Salchow anymore. She will probably still medal though based on her consistency.

Well, I don't think Fumie has a chance to win worlds, but she could medal if the others fail and if she can deliver a clean program.
There's no need btw to do all triple jumps under COP, I think. You can leave the Salchow out of you program, there's nothing that could be deducted because of this, so if she does flip and lutz twice she probably gets more points than if she does flip, lutz, salchow and loop each once.

mkdream

Rinkside
Well I still feel that she has a shot to win. Didn't she beat Mao last year when Mao landed two triple axels?