Michelle Kwan - Year in Review | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan - Year in Review

J

Joesitz

Re: Michelle Kwan - Year in Review

<span style="color:green;font-size:small;"><em>"I’ve been the favorite, the underdog, the little jumping bean. I’ve been everything. Any one you choose will be fine with me," Kwan said. "I’ve definitely had my ups and downs at nationals, but I feel mentally and physically prepared this time. I’m nervous, of course … I’m human</em></span>."

<span style="text-decoration:underline">I dig this quote. It reminds me a movie line from "I Can Get It for You Wholesale": I've been pinched, patted, and kissed, fought my way out of hotels, taxi cabs and bars. It took a strong stomach, but I know this bussiness and I'm going to the top!</span>

One of Sinatra's songs has lyrics about having had his ups and downs and over and out but I know one thing..... I forget the name and the rest of the lyrics.

<span style="color:fuchsia;font-size:large;">KWAN, the Legend</span>

Joe

M

mathman444

That's life - that's what all the people say
You're ridin' high in April, shot down in May
But I know I'm gonna change that tune
When I'm back on top, back on top in June

I say, that's life, and as funny as it may seem
Some people get their kicks steppin' on a dream
But I don't let it, let it get me down
Cause this fine old world, it keeps spinning around

I've been a puppet, a pauper, a pirate, a poet - a pawn and a king
I've been up and down and over and out - and I know one thing:
Each time I find myself flat on my face
I pick myself up and get back in the race

That's life - I tell you - I can't deny it:
I thought of quittin', baby, but my heart just ain't gonna buy it
And if I didn't think it was worth one single try
I'd jump right on a big bird an then I'd fly

I've been a puppet, a pauper, a pirate, a poet - a pawn and a king
I've been up and down and over and out - and I know one thing:
Each time I find myself, laying flat on my face
I just pick myself up and get back in the race

That's life. that's life, and I can't deny it:
Many times I thought of cuttin' out, but my heart won't buy it
But if there's nothing shakin' come this here July
I'm gonna roll myself up in a big ball...
And die
My, my

J

Joesitz

Mathman - You have an encyclopedia of music in your head. From Handel to Sinatra!!

Cheers - Joe

S

sk8ing lady2001

That is amazing and wonderful! I love it! :D

N

nymkfan51

Thanks Mathman for that musical moment ... I was sitting here singing it as I was reading. Good thing noone else is home ... of course, I think I hear the dog crying upstairs! :rollin:

S

Show 42

Great article........thanks for sharing, Skatefan.....42

S

SkateFan4Life

And how many of you think Michelle will retain her eligible status through the 2006 Winter Olympics? I fully expect to see her compete for one more try at an Olympic gold medal.

M

mathman444

I think Michelle will keep on competing. I will be interested to see what strategy she follows. She could try to up the ante technically, like she did unsuccessfully in 2002, experimenting with new triple-triples in the early part of the season.

Or she could go with what worked in 2003. Do what she does best, do it perfectly, and put the onus on her competitors to step up to the plate if they can.

Mathman

PS. As for being too old, hey, Martina Navratolova just won her 20th Wimbledon title (this one in mixed doubles) this afternoon, at age 47. Let's see...for Michelle that would be just in time for the 2026 Olympics.

T

THIZfiyaVIETgrl

Well Michelle has a new training regimine, and I believe she is taking it very seriously. She knows where she needs to build up, and when to take a break.
I think the main reason why she hired a new physical trainer is to improve her body strength so she can do more difficult 3/3s. One of the reasons why she didn't continue to work on the 3Sal/3Loop was b/c it was causing her back problems.

I don't think MK would go through all the lengths to get a new training regimine if she wasn't thinking about 2006. I also think she isn't telling us she is staying in through 2006 is b/c she wants to avoid the criticims she will get for staying in and how she is too old or hogging the spotlight, etc. And also to keep her fans and competitors on their toes. MK is an excellent strategist and competitor.

J

Joesitz

Let's face it. She's an enigma whether by nature or by choice. It suits her though. After giving up on her every year, she comes back and wins me over.

Joe

S

SkateFan4Life

Michelle will be back for the 2006 Olympics - I hope. It's not that far off from now, really. How wonderful it would be if she finally did win the elusive Olympic gold medal!!

M

mmandel

Now here's a skating legend that surpasses all others.

R

rgirl181

[/i]EzCode Parsing Error: color=blue]<em>“This year was different for me," Kwan said just before Worlds. "After such a long tour, I gave myself a break, saying ‘OK Michelle, whatever you want to do, do.’ I was playing it by ear. I had Nikoli (Morozov) choreograph a short and long program within two days … I wasn’t playing so much in attack mode, which I’m used to. I felt a little empty … I wasn’t sure where I wanted to go – I wasn’t sure if I was going to compete at all."</em>

I love this quote, especially the parts about not playing so much in attack mode, feeling a little empty, and not being sure she was going to compete at all. This is just my guess of course, but I think these feelings of uncertainty allowed Michelle to explore new things in her skating. I also agree with THIZfiyaVIETgrl that the new training regimine made a big difference. I think it not only helped her physically but also mentally. By feeling stronger and more secure on the ice and having an open attitude toward her skating, I think Michelle was able to achieve new depths in the emotionality in skating in addition to the technical improvements.

I think this was a watershed year for Michelle. IMO, she's at a whole new level of champion now. Forgive me for the perhaps corny analogy, but I think Michelle's '02-03 season was like her "Sgt. Pepper" album season. She was great before (despite my criticisms;) , I always recognized and admired her achievements), but with this season I think she has transcended medals won and other external achievements. I think she's found and started developing the unique artist within herself. The changes in Michelle's skating this season remind me of the breakthrough seasons of other skaters such as Paul Wylie, Kurt Browning, and Kristi Y when they went from being great technicians and performers to true artists on their own terms.

At least for me, I will always remember this past season as the one where Michelle did what I always hoped she would do but wasn't sure if she would. She exceeded my expectations and IMO the internal changes perhaps caused by reflecting on the results of the Olympics and the four years leading up to it (I don't know of course; just guessing) also gave her personality a newfound maturity and depth.

I am excited to see where her hard won and intelligent changes take her skating. My, my indeed:D
Rgirl

A

ApacheApache

Rgirl, while I'm glad you have found something in Michelle's artistry to your liking, I'm very confused as to what it is about her so-called new artistry that has wowed you .

I recall you mentioned you weren't impressed by her past performances except Winter and Rush. Now you are impressed by her skating in Aranjuez and The Feeling Begins. You mentioned you thought she was using her whole body in TFB and Aranjuez but NOT in most of her other programs in her entire skating career. You weren't impressed by the great Lyra Angelica. That's fine, to each their own. But I want to understand what exactly "whole body" means? I'm one who doesn't understand choreography and artistry, you need not waste your time explaining that to me. :lol: But I feel like yelling in frustration whenever I watch TFB and Aranjuez and wondering aloud "what's Rgirl talking about, I don't see any difference between these 2 and her past programs!".

Also, I'm curious as to why you and most Michelle fans think Aranjuez is a great program? I often read from other forums that it lacks choreography and it's nothing but all jumps and crossovers. To me, it's an exciting program, that's all. Thanks.

M

mathman444

Apache, I'm sure that Rgirl will respond in detail, but perhaps only by recapping the analysis she has already given.

For me it's a lot easier -- What's so great about Michelle's Aranjuez? Just look at her, man!

Mathman

M

mpal2

Apache,

I think people are responding to Michelle's 02/03 year because it is really her in charge now. Beware, some of the following could be considered "pshychoanalysis" because I have not proof and I don't know any of the parties involved, but this is really what I thought and wondered at the time.

96 was the start of her greatness, but it was still Lori and Frank making a lot of the program choices. <em>(Edited: this sentence should say that in 96 they made all her music choices it was in 98 that they made most of them)</em> By 98, Lori had to convince her to use the Lyra? or Rach? music (I can't remember which right now, but Lori had specifically mentioned it in an interview). Michelle was starting to make her own decisions instead of just blindly going along with everything she was told. Lori and Frank were succeeding at creating a skater who could put all of herself into a program.

By 00, Michelle was starting to get pulled in different directions and it was hard for her to get focused on the programs. She pulled out some great moments, but it didn't come together for her until the end of the season.

By 2001, I had mentioned to my sisters that I thought Michelle needed to change coaches. I wasn't posting on any of the chat boards at that time so I think I missed out on some interesting discussions with people who actually followed the sport. I didn't start posting until after 2002 Nationals because of some MKF members that I met there.

I got the general feeling that Song of the Black Swan and Scheherazade were not Michelles choices and she would have preferred something else. Frank and Lori were wonderful for her early on, but just from listening to interviews answers I felt that she wasn't getting as much say in her programs as she wanted. I always heard her give the generic "I love my music/program" answer, but I wondered if Frank was holding her back to a certain degree.

He is a wonderful coach but I from what I've heard, Frank is the one in charge of the coach/student relationship and I think Michelle was starting to outgrow that. Frank and Lori had created a skater that could think for herself, then they didn't seem to let her do that. I know that Michelle has given Frank and Lori a great deal of respect and credit for what they gave to her skating, and I think that is one of the reasons why she may not have changed coaches sooner.

I honestly wasn't surprised when she "fired" Frank. I was surprised that she didn't get another coach though.

By 2003, Michelle is 100% in charge. Scott knows his role extremely well. Technical guidance with maybe a little bit of advice. The adult Michelle is in charge of her life now and I think it shows in every movement she makes. While she didn't choreograph both programs, I think she had a lot more to say about what went into them. The people around her these days are not telling her what to do, they are offering suggestions. She is picking and choosing as she sees fit. Also the maturity that comes with time is only enhancing her ability to pick the best for herself. IMO, her programs seem to fit better. I do confess that the "fit" of the music is a huge deal to me, just look at the music selection thread I started. :lol:

Sorry for the psychobabble, but this is my humble opinion. :p Feel free to fire away if you disagree, I really do think I missed out on some great discussions by not posting on the internet until recently. ;)

J

Joesitz

Apache - Aranjuez flows, flows, flows. She doesn't stop to do the next variation. She just keeps going! MK does have footwork in the routine which just kept flowing. This I believe is her strength over everyone and one forgets about the missing 3x3s except for fans of others.

Joe

mzheng

Record Breaker

I agree with mpal and rgirl, 2002/2003 season's MK reached whole new level.

To me I've always liked her skating, but it was 2002/2003 season she became her own artistry. I would say before this season watching her skating you always fell the chroegraph was there, she skated to the chroegraph and music. But this season oh god, she became the chroegraph and music on ice, every thing IS herown.

I don't know what the termnoledge to use since im no expert. All I can put is that before this season, it was program (or chroegraph you would like) make her skating alive. But this season it was her skating make the program/chroegraph alive. (hope you get what I mean). The best example is Aranjues, with the simple chroegraph not as many in betweens as the program she used to skated, she is still able to draw you in.

IMO, her 2003's SP/LP beat her 98's SP/LP. As the performance came more naturally to me in 2003.

A

ApacheApache

Mathman, Joe and Mzheng, I actually do like Aranjuez a lot because like you say, it flows and I find it is full of excitement and emotions. I agree with a poster from MKF that if she wore red, it would make much more impact (I know wearing red for a Spanish theme is corny though).

Being a non-musical person who knows nothing about choreography and artistry, I get influenced by some posters from other forums who suggest her Aranjuez LP lacks choreography. They suggest that if if were stripped of its jump content and footwork, it would be nothing but crossovers. Ok, I think I know what a crossover is.

Mpal2, thanks. That's interesting and it makes sense. I have watched her clips (interviews and stuff) from the early years to present and I did find Frank authoritative, he was a great coach though. As for Scott, I can sense Michelle is very much in charge. He seems to be more like a partner in the team whereas Frank was the leader. I wasn't surprised Michelle parted with Frank, she has always appeared to be a very determined lady and she would have no hesitation in taking actions in her pursuit of "excellence". I don't mean it in a negative way, I think that's a very good attribute in a person. Well, her courage to go ahead for the senior test behind Frank's back at 12(?) was already indicative of what she was made of. I also agree that she had wanted to leave sooner but didn't do so. As a Chinese myself, I understand the emotional conflicts in her. Leaving Frank would mean betrayal, ungratefulness and lack of moral. We have been instilled in our minds since young that filial piety and respect for the elders is a must. Frank was a father to her.

This isn't psychoanalysis, this is speculation.:p

As for choreography and artistry, I just don't know the differences between her present and her past programs. Do you guys understand the concept of "using the whole body"? Do you guys spot the differences? Do you guys find her body movements are better? I don't and it's frustrating.:lol: Please share your thoughts. Thanks.