Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cleveland Gets 2009 US Nationals

Custom Title

News Cleveland Gets 2009 US Nationals

Custom Title
    Oh my -- close enough to home that I might have to consider going!

Down With It
    cool, thanks for the heads up.

Custom Title
    I am definitely planning to go!

Tripping on the Podium
    Seriously, no offense intended. But can't Nats find a more glamourous city? I mean St. Louis? Portland?? Spokane??? Cleveland???? I know we go for the skating and often it doesn't matter a flip what city it takes place in ... but still.......................................

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndmark View Post
    Seriously, no offense intended. But can't Nats find a more glamourous city? I mean St. Louis? Portland?? Spokane??? Cleveland???? I know we go for the skating and often it doesn't matter a flip what city it takes place in ... but still.......................................
    Well, if Houston could get the Superbowl... (and anyone who's been there knows exactly what I mean)

I'm starting a conspiracy theory: The USFS is favoring the MidWest: 2007 Skate America in Minneapolis; 2007 US Nationals in Cleveland

What I wish the ISU would do is holding figure skating events in May/June. Tired of all those layers I have to wear.

Joe.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    I'm starting a conspiracy theory: The USFS is favoring the MidWest: 2007 Skate America in Minneapolis; 2007 US Nationals in Cleveland

What I wish the ISU would do is holding figure skating events in May/June. Tired of all those layers I have to wear.

Joe.
    Could the choice of city have anything to do with the sweats, etc, that the USFS markets?

Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    Could the choice of city have anything to do with the sweats, etc, that the USFS markets?
    hmmm. Are they made in Cleveland? I would buy one but I can't stand the USFS logo.

Joe

Hey, don't bust Cleveland's chops, man! Despite what people think, Cleveland isn't the armpit of the Earth-- that's a tie between Gary, IN and Detroit. :chorus:

I, for one, am tired of the "glamorous cities" hogging everything. It's about time something big was within a three-hour drive of my house.

Great American Ballpark Watching the Reds
    It will be nice to attend a US Nationals where I can just make a drive up I-71 to get there. I won't have airfare to pay for which means the trip will be MUCH cheaper for me!

2ndmark where would you like to see Nationals held?
    Thers nothing wrong with the cities you mention.
    I know we'd all like to have them close to home.
    What I've liked is that I have been able to travel to places I've never been.
    Cleveland is drivable but since I'd be alone flying would be safer for traveling alone. Only drove to 2 Nashville and St.Louis which is only 2 1/2 hours either way.

Go NJ Devils
    Cleveland has a world-class symphony, which plays in venerable Severance Hall, and several terrific museums, including the Western Reserve Historical Society -- who knew that eastern Ohio was originally the summer home for Connecticut? -- and the Cleveland Museum of Art. It also houses three Halls of Fame: Football, Rock and Roll, and National Inventors. There is also a steamship museum (William G. Mather) and a WWII era submarine (USS Cod).

http://www.10best.com/Cleveland/Sigh...ums/index.html

immediately thought of you, Hez!

I'm still thinking about skipping out on 09 Nats and just going to worlds... we'll see what my bank account says in 2 years lol

any idea when ANCHORAGE could get a national championship up here?? we've got the ice!

I think USFS will be keeping a close eye on attendance. When Spokane hosted Skate America a few years ago the event set the all-time attendance record. It is not a coincidence that Spokane got the bid for U.S. Nationals this year (and was even in the running for Worlds for a while).

At Hartford this year, according to International Figure Skating the attendance for the short programs was 1160 people in an arena that holds 15,000.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast