Sasha not going to 2007 Nats | Golden Skate

Sasha not going to 2007 Nats

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I can tell you right now that, no matter how they skate, Dick and Peggy's comments at the ladies event will be:

(1) She can't do spins/spirals/hit beautiful positions like Sasha and/or

(2) She can't connect to the audience/isn't consistent like Michelle

flying camel

Medalist
Your right not surprising. Most of us could tell she was not ready for competition. I seriouly doubt we will see her at this level again. It just seems once you take time off you kind of loose your place. It now becomes someone elses chance. I will miss seeing her compete.

R.D.

Record Breaker
What did I tell you guys? :p

But I already reported this in this thread in the US Nats folder:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?p=217011#post217011

I cut and paste part of that post here:

“I have every intention of competing in future competitions. My major goals are the 2009 LA Worlds and the 2010 Vancouver Olympics,” Cohen said. “I love the thrill competition brings, and I’m not ready to give that up. But I’m the type of person who is all or nothing. When I train and compete, it’s my life. I can’t be there just to be there. These past few months, I’ve really enjoyed simply skating for the love of it.”

Eh? :scratch: :think: she keeps saying this. Maybe she really means it after all. But mind and body are two different things, and both may not wish to do the same thing at once.

I still think she's through with competitive skating. Even if she wishes to come back, she probably either a) won't be able to do it because she's so far behind the current generation or b) she'll pick up an injury and will miss out on the OLY.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
From a fan's perspective, I wish skaters left the sport with more fanfare... an official retirement & one last competitive shot at gold... alas, this doesn't seem to be a wish that shall come true...

Here's wishing Sasha all the luck in the world with her next chapter...

(Is it tacky to discuss how she's ruined other skater's careers with her media attention or should I just go have a snack now?;) )

R.D.

Record Breaker
But seriously, this is old news. No offense but anyone who seriously thought Cohen was really going to show up at nationals must have been living in a fantasy world. It was fairly obvious to me after seeing her at all these off-ice events, and then it became clear as day once I saw her at Marshall's.

This announcement is really for the people at large (those who don't follow skating); most of us here already knew.

This also means that an additional skater at Nats will get to have some World championships experience, and good for Cohen actually for not taking up a spot if her mind really isn't in skating. Here's hoping the top two (Kimmie and Emily, I venture) do well enough to keep 3 spots for next year as well.

Last edited:

2ndmark

Rinkside
I think it is admirable that she has ambitions to compete in 2009 and 2010. But we've seen the last of her in eligible competition.

If she and Michelle would both go pro perhaps we would see the re-birth of pro competitions.

http://www.sashacohen.com/break.shtml

No real surprise, but she has made it official now.
Why does that link not work. Has she cancelled her website?

I think she might have won the Nats. She's not a Tech skater, imo, but she is definitely a PCS skater. I doubt she would have been special in international competition. Too much is now going on even going back to a 13 y.o. tyke who just may turn into something big, and no one can underestimate the Japanese ladies.

THE NEW ERA HAS BEGUN​

I got on Sasha's bandwagon at the 2004 Worlds in Dortmund, and stayed on it till 2006 Worlds in Calgary. I still see her, in my own mind, as the most significant bravura (read WOW) skater in figure skating.

Can't really see her coming back so Good Luck Sasha in your next endeavours.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
It's been removed...maybe at the request of the USFS??!?! (Just speculating here...they may want to put it up on their website first.)

treeskater

Rinkside
I could not get the link to work either and I checked most the various links on her web page too. Could someone give a workable link to verify this statement?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Of course, Sasha is not only not going to be at 2007 Nationals, she won't be at 2008 Nationals. And though she says she wants to go to 2009 Worlds, there's no guarantee she'll be able to regain sufficient skating skills to make that possible.

I doubt Emily will be around for 2008 Nationals, either. I think she will be away at college, and skating in SOI as a guest star on selected dates.

So some of the talented young'uns will have to move up and fill the empty skates.

Lucy25

Final Flight
If she can take two years off then come back competative, I will be very impressed. Too bad the link is broken; I haven't gotten to read her statement yet. Interesting it has been taken down.

Of course, Sasha is not only not going to be at 2007 Nationals, she won't be at 2008 Nationals. And though she says she wants to go to 2009 Worlds, there's no guarantee she'll be able to regain sufficient skating skills to make that possible.
Maybe she's keeping the COI Tours happy enough to pretend she will skate competitions. I dunno. Just one possible spec.

I doubt Emily will be around for 2008 Nationals, either. I think she will be away at college, and skating in SOI as a guest star on selected dates.
This will be Emily's big year to show championships material. SOI might be interested if she wins gold in Worlds.

So some of the talented young'uns will have to move up and fill the empty skates.
That's the way it is in Skateland.

Joe

kyla2

Final Flight
It's Over

It's over for Sasha. Two years off of competitive skating, when she is still having jump/consistency issues is a death knell. I wish her well. She was special while she was there.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This will be Emily's big year to show championships material. SOI might be interested if she wins gold in Worlds.
Joe

Emily couldn't beat Miki Ando, Mao Asada, Kimmie Meissner and Sarah Meier at Skate America. She couldn't even beat Julia Sebestyen and Yukari Nakano at Cup of China. She hasn't skated a clean FS since 2005 Junior Worlds. How could she possibly win the World Championship against skaters like Asada, Kim, Ando, Meissner and Meier?

And Emily is skating as a guest at SOI this winter. They're already interested in her, and they'll probably book her for more guest spots next year while she's at college.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
...Meier?

And Emily is skating as a guest at SOI this winter. They're already interested in her, and they'll probably book her for more guest spots next year while she's at college.

Do you know what cities she will be appearing in? When I checked on the SOI website, her name wasn't listed.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
No surprise here. I will miss seeing her at Nationals. A lot can happen in
two years, heck she might become a decent actress and not be interested in competitive skating anymore. Goodness no Sasha and no Michelle what is
a person going to do know.

heyang

Record Breaker
I wouldn't say that SOI is interested in just Emily. Kimmie Meisner is also making guest appearances on the tour.

In order to determine the special guest for the date, you have to view that date. There isn't one place on the Stars On Ice show that lists the appearance date by guest star.

Here's the website
http://www.starsonice.com/tickets/default.asp

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I have a feeling that Emily Hughes will win the 2007 Ladies national title... with Meissner 2nd.