Sasha not going to 2007 Nats | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sasha not going to 2007 Nats

flying camel

Medalist
I just don't see much happening for Emily, her technique is just not up to the challenge. Kimmie has more reliable technique and jumps.:agree:

And Emily is skating as a guest at SOI this winter. They're already interested in her, and they'll probably book her for more guest spots next year while she's at college.
I can understand your previous paragraph. I was being whimsical which makes it more perplexing why they wanted her in SOI. Was it because of her sister's triumph? I thought SOI was a tough show to get into unless you were a buddy buddy of Scott.

Joe

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I wouldn't say that SOI is interested in just Emily. Kimmie Meisner is also making guest appearances on the tour.

In order to determine the special guest for the date, you have to view that date. There isn't one place on the Stars On Ice show that lists the appearance date by guest star.

Here's the website
http://www.starsonice.com/tickets/default.asp

When I checked the cast list, it noted Katya Gordeeva, Angela Nikodinov, Ilya Kulik and Kurt Browning were their guest stars in selected cities; click on the skater's name, and you can find out which shows they will be in. Hence, my confusion.

I'm a little surprised that Emily would be touring with SOI, since this would be during the competitive season.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I have a feeling that Emily Hughes will win the 2007 Ladies national title... with Meissner 2nd.

Having that happen would be good for both skaters. Kinda like what happened to Debi THomas in 1987 (even though she only won silver at worlds that year)--she skated very well at worlds after having lost to Jill. That could happen to Kimmie. Emily winning will not only bring her confidence, but give the Hughes klan a national title!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Michael Weiss guest-starred in COI during the competitive season some years back. It's possible to do that because the dates can be scheduled not to interfere with competitions.

I would be shocked if Emily won the US championship, considering the problems she is having with her lutz and flip this season. At Campbell's, she popped the lutz and the flip. She popped the lutz once and the flip twice at SA, where she landed just 3 triples. At CoC, she doubled her first lutz attempt, then underrotated the flip, second lutz and the 3T in combination; she got credit for just two triples.

Emily skates a good SP but her FSs have been a mess. Kimmie's worst FS, at TEB, scored 11 points more than Emily's best FS.

krenseby

Final Flight
Why does that link not work. Has she cancelled her website?

I think she might have won the Nats. She's not a Tech skater, imo, but she is definitely a PCS skater. I doubt she would have been special in international competition. Too much is now going on even going back to a 13 y.o. tyke who just may turn into something big, and no one can underestimate the Japanese ladies.

THE NEW ERA HAS BEGUN​

I got on Sasha's bandwagon at the 2004 Worlds in Dortmund, and stayed on it till 2006 Worlds in Calgary. I still see her, in my own mind, as the most significant bravura (read WOW) skater in figure skating.

Can't really see her coming back so Good Luck Sasha in your next endeavours.

Joe

What do you mean by "bravura" skater?

jennylovskt

Medalist
No surprise, but still feel the sense of real loss when I heard this news. Wish Sasha to be successful in Hollywood.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
When I checked the cast list, it noted Katya Gordeeva, Angela Nikodinov, Ilya Kulik and Kurt Browning were their guest stars in selected cities; click on the skater's name, and you can find out which shows they will be in. Hence, my confusion.

I'm a little surprised that Emily would be touring with SOI, since this would be during the competitive season.

If you look at this SOI 2007 cast page

http://www.starsonice.com/cast/default.asp

you can see that Katia and Angela are not guest stars, but cast members (in those shows that Katia appears, Angela doesn´t, etc.). Ilia and Kurt are guest stars, but Meissner skated in SOI premiere. I think that in the same way Emily may be a guest star in a certain city, she does not tour with SOI.

MKFSfan

Medalist

I know Joesitz will elaborate on this further when he sees your post, and do a great job explaining, but for the time being...

bravura: marked by an ostentatious display of skill; showy.

I agree with this description since Sasha's programs are highlighted by her "Wow!" moves. I feel all her elements have this exclaimation point to them, as if she's saying,"Look at ME!" Just her style of performing.

It's a musical term meaning a virtuosa who shows off his talent. Think Heifitz' bravura to Menunin's lyrical.

Both styles are present in top skaters but there is one style which dominates the personality of the performer. Think Plushenko's bravura and Weir's lyrical. One performer goes after the audience; the other draws the audience in.

Nothing wrong with either style. IMO, young skaters do not have either.

Joe

If you look at this SOI 2007 cast page

http://www.starsonice.com/cast/default.asp

you can see that Katia and Angela are not guest stars, but cast members (in those shows that Katia appears, Angela doesn´t, etc.). Ilia and Kurt are guest stars, but Meissner skated in SOI premiere. I think that in the same way Emily may be a guest star in a certain city, she does not tour with SOI.
Emily could bing in some general fans when they get to the Coliseum in Long Island.

Jhar55

Medalist
Not surprised either by Sasha not going to Nationals. BUT if she dose skip a couple of years won't she have to compete is her local sectioal / regional for a berth at nationals?
As for Emily or Kimmie winning nationals that would depend on how the skate. They could both come out and bomb leaving the door open for Katy or someone else.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Not surprised either by Sasha not going to Nationals. BUT if she dose skip a couple of years won't she have to compete is her local sectioal / regional for a berth at nationals?

No there's a rule that Olympic medalists are put straight through to nationals without the need to qulify through regional and sectional championships.

Ant

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There was such an "Olympic" rule but it would have to be re-enacted for the 2008-2009 season.

No there's a rule that Olympic medalists are put straight through to nationals without the need to qulify through regional and sectional championships. Ant
Does that mean any year Olympic medal? I can't see Peggy or Dorothy geting a bye to the next Olympics. However, if it applies to the latest Oly, I still think there would have to be some sort of qualifying test - not unlike Kwan had - before getting the bye. Kimmie will be around as will Rachael and Caroline. Would it be fair to bump one of them for Sasha without a test?

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
I can't see why Cohen wouldn't be treated special as one of the US's top skaters (like MK).

A lot can happen in two years. There will likely be a new face of US skating (and it may or may not be a lady :eek: ) and the stars of the past will just be that, stars of the past. Cohen won't be forgotten but I doubt anyone will give her much of a chance at a comeback. True, but one MUST move on eventually. I'm ready for Generation Two.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sasha wouldn't be 'bumping' anyone. She would get a bye to Nationals, meaning she wouldn't have to do Regionals or Sectionals. But she would have to compete at Nationals in order to go to Worlds and/or Olympics. If she placed 4th behind Kimmie, Caroline and Rachael at 2009 Nationals (when both Caroline and Rachael would be eligible for Worlds) she could be out of luck.

After being gone for two years, the USFS would be less likely to place her ahead of newer, talented skaters unless she seemed to have the potential to get her skills back. So if she did place behind the newbies, that would mean the USFS was washing their hands of her.

In short, Sasha would have to bring it in spades in 2008-2009 if she wanted a shot at 2010.

Red Dog:
can't see why Cohen wouldn't be treated special as one of the US's top skaters (like MK).

M/K was the reigning National champion when she requested the bye last year. After this year, Sasha will no longer be the reigning National champion. After two years, Sasha is ancient history.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's possible that Sasha will skate in cheesefests this year and next year, just to stay on good terms with the USFS. But that won't help her if she doesn't keep up her technical level. She can't get away with just 2A and 3S in cheesefests if she wants the USFS to see her as a future competitor, but I don't think she will keep up her training level to do more than that.