Sasha not going to 2007 Nats | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Sasha not going to 2007 Nats

Absolutely RD. But in team sports one can always say 'wait till next year' and sure enough the interest is there at the beginning of next season.

It wont happen in Ladies this season if your favorite is not skating this season.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
That's also a point, but it's not too much different than, say, if your favorite (skater) has a poor season or is out with an injury.

But if a trade occurs, the hope is back again. Just look at the Denver Nuggets acquiring Allen Iverson. :rock: but since this is not a B-ball thread I'll stop.

The second point is also true, but at the same time one can spot new talent that might possibly make them interested again.

lisadotdash

Rinkside
Kimmie and her "Cool Kids". I think before she made it so public, she should have been advised to concentrate on her skating keep them on the back burner publically. In other words, I think it takes too much emotion at her level of skating (highly competitive) and her age, the other girls who haven't invested in something like that (like all of them), will just roar on past her.

Kimmie and her "Cool Kids". I think before she made it so public, she should have been advised to concentrate on her skating keep them on the back burner publically.
Boy, that's the first time I have seen a prominent athlete criticized for giving her support to a noteworthy charity.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=34802

I disagree that children suffering from cancer should be "kept on the back burner," or that Kimmie's generous heart is interfering with her competitive concentration.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I agree with MM- it shows she has a good heart and that can't be such a bad thing, no? :love:

heyang

Record Breaker
Boy, that's the first time I have seen a prominent athlete criticized for giving her support to a noteworthy charity.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=34802

I disagree that children suffering from cancer should be "kept on the back burner," or that Kimmie's generous heart is interfering with her competitive concentration.

Thanks for this link. Kimmie is doing this based upon her personal experiences with friends who have had cancer. Her activism is something that should be applauded - especially for one so young. She'll touch many lives with her endeavors. I'd much rather hear that she's doing community service than shopping for shoes. Lots of the skaters do community service work. Can't skate all the time.

dizzydi7

On the Ice
It seems to me that the decline of interest in figureskating is just a natural occurrence. I don't believe it has much to do with Michelle or Sasha. The audiences have been dwindling for some time now. Hopefully sometime in the future there will be another golden period when interest is once again at a peak.

Yes, Michelle Kwan is the most decorated US skater and will remain so for a long time or maybe forever but.....figure skating was at it's peak of popularity during the time Scott Hamilton started Stars on Ice and Kristi Yamaguchi was the headliner on the women's side.

As much as I love both Michelle and Sasha, I don't believe that they alone will make or break figureskating.

Also looking at the vacant seats in the audiences these days, it seems to be a world-wide problem. Many other countries' fans have little interest in Michelle and Sasha.

Dizzy

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
As much as I love both Michelle and Sasha, I don't believe that they alone will make or break figureskating.
:agree: They were not the most "known" by the general public during the latest apex in popularity - 98, nor the reason. And even with them in the mix the popularity declined. But it will only help if they take a liking to some of these new to the spotlight ladies. I think the more the U.S public "get a load of" ladies like Kimmie, Melissa, Rene, Emily and Tanith etc... and guys continue the slow cycle of getting more in touch with their feminine side - realizing it is balance of ego that makes the man, the more it will grow - even if the "ruling" aspects stay the same. Blaa blaa, JMO, But do agree that Michelle and Sasha will NOT make or break skating's popularity.

JMO, But do agree that Michelle and Sasha will NOT make or break skating's popularity.
I don't think anyone believes Sasha and Michelle will break skating's popularity. The point being made was that the disappearance of Sasha and Michelle will lesson the interest in figure skating and I will add here in the United States.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Right, but actually I really don't think it makes much of a difference any more. Skating was on the decline here in the US even with Kwan/Cohen in the mix. The real question is whether their departure will hasten that decline, but I doubt it. The core fans will be here to stay, but the casual fans will probably leave and will have to be earned again...it will take another great skater (one with the whole package, not just a jumper who wins competitions) to do it.

If I may add, the Olys are usually the best time to earn casual fans since that's when FS gets its biggest audience. No one really stood out this year in 06, so it was kind of bleh. The new stars Kimmie and Emily weren't really impressive, and Cohen was on her way out. Let's see what happens in '10, but don't expect any more casual fans between now and then (unless Kimmie suddenly becomes a multiple-World champion or something).

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I can't speak for Cohen, but Kwan was definitely known by the general public in 1998.

Cohen's popularity and early hype, I think, was just for those that followed skating. I don't think her name was well known until she sat next to Pres. Bush.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I can't speak for Cohen, but Kwan was definitely known by the general public in 1998.

:agree: I don't know what I was talking about - reading it over I think I must have been combining 94 n 98 togather:laugh: . I do remember Tonya and Nancy still being talked about during 98. Sorry, those were "blurry" years for me and I do agree you are totally correct, also I have had the flu for the past 3 days - I shouldn't even be posting. MK was very popular in 98 but the decline of FS popularity was still happening at that point in time. I don't think MK was a reason for FS popularity with the "general public" just the skating community. Although she may have been the most known, it didn't stop FS's decline of popularity having her in it. I think the "15 year old" not many in the "general public" knew about, winning 98 - even by the slight amount - caused people to "fall even more away" while the FS community that was loyal to FS already embraced MK like no other FSer - but NOT the general public.

For example, the group that I have the most contact with in person are all "self professed" as not knowing anything about FS, saying "I couldn't even name a skater." When I acted sarcastically shocked, the first one to come up most (80%)of the time is Dorothy Hamel, and 2 "first" names - Tonya and Nancy. When I say what about Michelle.........they are usually saying "Kwan" simultaneously with me. Recollecting but not the first to mind a majority of the time.

Whatever those ramblings are worth:laugh: :laugh:

I wish people would learn the difference between hype (a publicity term) and praise (a critic term). I can assure you, people in showbiz do not read skating forums (unless they have a personal interest in a competition).

I think we dost make figure skaters something in the realm of the most important celebrities for mentioning in the tabloids. A skater really needs a whack on the knee for that.

Michelle Kwan is in some circles, the most highly praised figure skater. Try naming another at this point in time. Maybe Sonia Henie in another point in time.

BTW - Have the hypers ever decided whether it is derrogatory term? I mean do they really think it influences the judges?

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Well Dorothy Hamil will forever be remembered, she was one of the biggest media darlings skating's had, and was the inspiration of many us figure skaters then and now... and the whole country saw her wedge haircut become overly popular...(and Ross Gellar put her on his list of people he could sleep with while dating Rachel :laugh: )

Michelle Kwan has been accused of being the reason why pro skating has declined so drastically in the last... 8-10 years because she refused to 'turn pro' and some felt she should have (both fans and I think a few pro skaters have been quoted with such thoughts, I could be wrong)...

I think the reason skating saw popularity at all was because for one stupid season skating was not about being nice, it was about being nasty. From Tonya vs Nancy to Nancy being a 'sore loser' at the olympics... figure skating was so popular that the networks went completely overboard with events and skating was seen as ridiculous and repetative to teh point of annoying most from the sport...

I wish people would learn the difference between hype (a publicity term) and praise (a critic term).

aren't critics part of the public media realm? it's all media... message boards are classified under media, why I don;t know I'm just quoting my college texts.

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I think the reason skating saw popularity at all was because for one stupid season skating was not about being nice, it was about being nasty. From Tonya vs Nancy to Nancy being a 'sore loser' at the olympics... figure skating was so popular that the networks went completely overboard with events and skating was seen as ridiculous and repetative to teh point of annoying most from the sport...

:agree: - all of that post really.:agree:

R.D.

Record Breaker
People talk about the decline of skating but I don't see TOO much, actually. Skating was on basically for three straight days on NBC and ESPN. NBC still runs a good number of these "pro skating shows", and ESPN actually finds time to recap skating events. I don't think the popularity of skating is as bleak as some make it out to be. Sure, the popularity has decreased significantly in the past 10 years but it's not like there's NO skating on TV.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
People talk about the decline of skating but I don't see TOO much, actually. Skating was on basically for three straight days on NBC and ESPN. NBC still runs a good number of these "pro skating shows", and ESPN actually finds time to recap skating events. I don't think the popularity of skating is as bleak as some make it out to be. Sure, the popularity has decreased significantly in the past 10 years but it's not like there's NO skating on TV.
:agree: I like the positive attitude. Which brings us back to the topic of MK and SC having anything to do with....
Right, but actually I really don't think it makes much of a difference any more. Skating was on the decline here in the US even with Kwan/Cohen in the mix.
:agree: If anything, I feel like it is most likely the way the "media" played it.

aren't critics part of the public media realm? it's all media... message boards are classified under media, why I don;t know I'm just quoting my college texts.
Toni - Hype comes from Agents who use the media. It is not the media itself.
Some agents of fading stars pay for hype. The only one I know of in figure skating was the Lapinskis.

But maybe there is an ounce of truth in the forums getting hype from agents for skaters. the agents may be infiltrating the forum in hope some judges read that forum. I wouldn't buy that but I'll let that be the hype if someone proves it.

Again, anyone, is hype a derrogatory term? or is it just over praised critiques?

Joe