Jeff Buttle & "River" - Awesome! | Golden Skate

Jeff Buttle & "River" - Awesome!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Yea! Finally, Jeff skated to Joni Mitchell's song "River." I have envisioned this for quite some time. I knew Jeff would capture this song exquisitely. "River" is one of my favorite Joni Mitchell songs. For those unfamiliar with this tune, it has been just redone by none other than another Canadian songstress - Sarah McLachlan -on her new CD "Wintersong" which features the great Gordon Lightfoot's "Song for a Winter's Night." Anyway, Jeff was featured in a Xmas special which aired tonight on the CBC. "River" is a beautiful song and Jeff is just the right skater to interpret it.

Thanks Jeff!!!!!!
:bow: :bow: :bow:

River - by Joni Mitchell

Its coming on christmas
Theyre cutting down trees
Theyre putting up reindeer
And singing songs of joy and peace
Oh I wish I had a river
I could skate away on
But it dont snow here
It stays pretty green
Im going to make a lot of money
Then Im going to quit this crazy scene
I wish I had a river
I could skate away on
I wish I had a river so long
I would teach my feet to fly
Oh I wish I had a river
I could skate away on
I made my baby cry

He tried hard to help me
You know, he put me at ease
And he loved me so naughty
Made me weak in the knees
Oh I wish I had a river
I could skate away on
Im so hard to handle
Im selfish and Im sad
Now Ive gone and lost the best baby
That I ever had
Oh I wish I had a river
I could skate away on
I wish I had a river so long
I would teach my feet to fly
Oh I wish I had a river
I made my baby say goodbye

Its coming on christmas
Theyre cutting down trees
Theyre putting up reindeer
And singing songs of joy and peace
I wish I had a river
I could skate away on

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Now that's a beautiful song, and Jeff will do it justice :agree:

"Song for a Winter's Night" is on that CD? Wow! I :love: that one too!

Ben

Rinkside
I have always loved that song! I sure hope he will perform it at the nationals gala (although Christmas will be over, and they'll be taking down the reindeer...), I have often imagined someone skating to it, and indeed Jeff will be perfect. :clap:

Joni Mitchell must have done some skating in her youth. I seem to remember a couple of other songs where she refers to skating: from "The Last Time I Saw Richard": "Richard got married to a figure skater...He bought her a dishwasher, and a coffee percolator, and he drinks at home now all those nights with the TV on and all the house lights kept up bright"

And I'm trying to remember the other one.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Yea! Finally, Jeff skated to Joni Mitchell's song "River."

I remember you putting those lyrics up back in March as a great "song / poem" about FS. Makes me wonder if Jeff is reading???? I think we even were discussing what happened to her career after she started working with Jacko and the "Jazz/Fusion/Acid" music scene. ????

Well if he did, he knows who to take requests from. Great song - thanks Lad!!!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I have always loved that song! I sure hope he will perform it at the nationals gala (although Christmas will be over, and they'll be taking down the reindeer...), I have often imagined someone skating to it, and indeed Jeff will be perfect. :clap:

Joni Mitchell must have done some skating in her youth. I seem to remember a couple of other songs where she refers to skating: from "The Last Time I Saw Richard": "Richard got married to a figure skater...He bought her a dishwasher, and a coffee percolator, and he drinks at home now all those nights with the TV on and all the house lights kept up bright"

And I'm trying to remember the other one.

Yes, indeed being Canadian no doubt our Joni can glide around a rink. She also did a CD called "Hejira" which features a picture of Toller Cranston skating.

The song you mentioned "The Last Time I Saw Richard" is another Joni favorite of mine.