Video Thread 4: Switching to DVD Recording | Golden Skate

Video Thread 4: Switching to DVD Recording

R.D.

Record Breaker
I just took the plunge and bought a DVD recorder after using my VCR/camcorder for years to record and archive skating footage on my computer (in various formats). This produced the best possible quality and was easy to share with people and watch on my computer whenever I wanted to (as well as allowed me to make screencaps). I think that starting with Sunday's broadcast of the GPF, I will no longer use this method but will just record straight to DVD. I have less time nowadays, and I don't feel as invested in skating to take the time I did in the past to make computer recordings. I may still use the old method for certain shows, but until HDTV becomes the standard (can't wait!!!) I think this is how I will do things. However, this wasn't the main reason I bought the DVD (it's just miles better than VHS, that's all), but now that I have it, it makes sense just to do it this way- and I'll still be able to watch it on my computer.

I will explore to see if I can pick the files off the DVD to edit on my computer, though. Once I do that I will post how that goes.

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
RD, I tried to post this yesterday and got bumped out, some message about the server. Anyhow, I've had my dvd recorder for about a year now and like it very much. I would record survivor and then a group of us would watch it on our company's 8 ft screen. The colors are more vivid and shaper than vhs.

I do have a question ...... how are you able to transfer from dvd to your computer?? I know that you can watch a dvd on the computer but how are you transfering your files onto the computer???

Dee

R.D.

Record Breaker
I put the DVD in my drive, open it using Windows Explorer and drag the corresponding .vob files (these are the actual MPEG2 video files) to my desktop. I then use VirtualDub MPEG2 1.6.15, which can read .vob files, cut and trim the part I want, and then export it to AVI using whatever codec is available (VFW).

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
II then use VirtualDub MPEG2 1.6.15, which can read .vob files, cut and trim the part I want, and then export it to AVI using whatever codec is available (VFW).
Is VirtualDub a free program?? I think I told you that I upload mine to a movie maker program to edit.

Dee

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
What's with the VFW, I thought you were a H264 fan????:laugh: j/k

Here is a serious Q, have you found that if you delete the original files (package) before saving them to the "video editing app" that you loose the sound?

I had grabbed .vob s before and deleted / ejected the original file before I saved the "new" project and would get no sound. But if I left it on the desktop until I exported the newly edited vid from the app to the desktop I still had sound. Haven't tried the other since the first time I figured it out, but am wondering if you ever had that .vob no sound issue?

R.D.

Record Breaker
What's with the VFW, I thought you were a H264 fan????:laugh: j/k

No, VFW is just the version of the codec needed to work with virtualdub. For instance, I have the Xvid FVW and the H264 VFW.

Here is a serious Q, have you found that if you delete the original files (package) before saving them to the "video editing app" that you loose the sound?

I had grabbed .vob s before and deleted / ejected the original file before I saved the "new" project and would get no sound. But if I left it on the desktop until I exported the newly edited vid from the app to the desktop I still had sound. Haven't tried the other since the first time I figured it out, but am wondering if you ever had that .vob no sound issue?

I think you might have an audio codec missing. Maybe you need an AC3 decoder?

R.D.

Record Breaker
OK, just finalized the GPF disc. Only recorded the Ladies but used XP (1hr) mode to maximize the quality (the ladies were on for the last 45 min. or so). I love the way it creates a "mini-menu" and allows you to give the different titles names. I titled the disc and the titles so it appears when you insert the disc into a DVD player.

Well, me like so far. Unfortunately my DVD doesn't allow me to edit out commercials on a DVD-R disc (which I used) so I just used the old-fashioned "start-stop" recording feature to eliminate the commercial breaks. This also means that each title has one skater on it as well, so gave those names too. :agree: I like this.

But- the first time I played the disc on my computer it was stuttering a bit. I don't think it's the DVD recorder or the disc because it seemed to play OK on the TV (and the skippings are inconsistent, i.e. not in the same place every time) so I think it's my computer. Might have to restart, sigh.