How many skaters have skated clean 7 triple programs? | Golden Skate

How many skaters have skated clean 7 triple programs?

Fossi

Final Flight
I fail to think of many. Heck, I can't! But I wonder how many have.

1. We all know Michelle Kwan is the keen of the clean 7 triples
2. SARAH HUGHES :love: has several ot her credit
3. Irina

Are there more?

4. Sasha in the 2004 Marshalls that I posted on another thread
5. Kimmie in the 2006 Worlds

Last edited:

Fossi

Final Flight
I forgot all about Kimmie and that was just recent. :rock:

So that's not a long list at all.

Fossi

Final Flight
oh, men would be cool! I never thought about it. I bet it would be
1. Yagudin
2. Plushenko
3. Stokjo
4. Eldgrige
5. Galindo

OMLord! That would be a long list. If you've got the stats, please post them!!!!!!

For ladies, Tara Lipinski. That girl had amazing consistency, almost as good as Sarah. Love them, love them.
I think Maria Butryskaya had some 7 triples, and Surya? I bet she did too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't have the stats... but add Browning to the list... i'm pretty sure he's hit 7 clean in one program...

Mafke

Medalist
I think Midori Ito was the first female to hit a 7 triple program, her Calgary LP, it not earlir, had seven triples (including a 3tl3tl very late in the program and a 2ax-halflp-3sl.

momjudi

On the Ice
I believe Johnny Weir hit seven clean triples in 2004 when he won his first national championship. He had eight triples planned but left one out.

gio

Medalist
I think Maria Butryskaya had some 7 triples, and Surya? I bet she did too.

Maria Butyrskaya = 3Lutz, 3Flip, 3Loop, 3Toe/half loop/3Sal, 3Sal, 3Toe
Midori Ito = 3Axel, 3Lutz, 3Flip, 3Loop, 3Sal, 3Toe/3Toe. Did she have an additional triple?

gio

Medalist
If I'm not wrong (I have to check) also Mao Asada, Yu-Na Kim, Miki Ando, Tara Lipinski, Shizuka Arakawa and Elena Sokolova. Surya Bonaly maybe also. What about Lu Chen? I think that also Elaine Zayak had a 7triples program (4 toe loops, 2 sals and one loop). The reason for Zayak rule!

Last edited:
According to Heather's jump statistics, Michelle did it eleven times: 1995 Worlds, 1995 Skate America, 1996 Worlds, 1997 Skate America, 1998 US Nationals, 1998 Olympics, 1998 Worlds (qualifying round), 1998 World Pro, 2000 Worlds (long program), 2001 Worlds (qualifying round), 2001 Worlds (long program).

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Kristi Yamaguchi landed seven triples at 1992 U.S. Nationals, 1990 Skate America and 1989 U.S. Nationals. I believe all of these also had two double axels in addition to the seven triples.

Someone mentioned Jenny Kirk. I know she landed seven multiple times. I haven't seen Irina's name mentioned, I'm sure she's done seven a few times.

I think it's slightly harder now with COP rules to do seven for the ladies. One jump pass must be a triple triple combo and/or sequence to get seven in. And that would be with one double axel unless you use another double axel in one of the combinations/sequences which is certainly doable.

heyang

Record Breaker
Didn't Kwan make it the standard to do All 7 triples - as opposed to 7 triples? That's why I wouldn't neccessarily count Zayak since she didn't do all 7.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I believe Johnny Weir hit seven clean triples in 2004 when he won his first national championship. He had eight triples planned but left one out.

Men SHOULD be doing 8--they have the triple axel. They could theoretically do nine (combine the triple toe with the lutz or flip, so they can do the axel twice, and another triple twice).

Back to the original topic--Tonya Szewczenko of Germany had 7 triples at the 1997 GPF, and so did Tonya Harding of US (1991 Skate America)

gio

Medalist
An ipothetical woman skater program can have 8 triples

1.3Axel/2Toe/2Loop
2.3Axel
3.3Lutz/3Toe
4.3Lutz
5.3Flip/3Loop
6.3Sal
7.2Axel

An ipothetical man skater program can have 8 triples and 2 quads

1.4Toe/2Toe/2Loop
2.3Axel/3Toe
3.4Sal
4.3Lutz/3Loop
5.3Lutz
6.3Axel
7.3Flip
8.3Sal

If Mao fix her Sal, she can do an 8 triples program. There are men who can do both the 4Sal and 4Toe, reaching a 10 triples/quads program.

Last edited:

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
I thought Midori did

IIRC, Midori landed 7 triples at the Calgary Olympics in this order: Lutz, Flip, 2A/half loop/3Sal, Loop, 3T/3T, Salchow. The following year she attempted and (I think) landed 8 triples with the addition of the triple axel.

Kristi always had 7 triples planned. I think she actually had 2 performances where she landed all 7. The first I remember is 92 Nationals. I think she also landed all 7 at 1990 Skate America, when she beat Midori for the first time. I will have to try to find the performance to verify.

So, to answer the question 'Who made it standard for ladies to have 7 triples in their program' - I would say Midori and Kristi set that standard, not Michelle.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

Last edited: